America

qos_75

2 hours ago, deej said:

Looking to do a road trip next July/August to tie in with a wedding. 

Flying in and out of Chicago, ideally direct from Scotland. Any recommendations on who to book with, and when they release their flights for the end of July onwards?

Most scheduled flights are on sale one year before, they don't work like budget airlines where all the summer 2020 flights are released in one go. I booked flights (not Chicago) for early July 2020 a few weeks ago, so they should already be on sale. I suggest you have a play around with Skyscanner then check with the individual airlines. If you can't find a direct flight from Glasgow or Edinburgh I'd suggest trying BA, the Glasgow Heathrow/Gatwick leg should be thrown in more or less for free. Haven't flown to the States for years though.

P.S. Just checked BA and it doesn't look like you'd save much with them on the GLA/LHR leg. Delta looks cheap but with a couple of changes.

Edited by welshbairn

On 08/08/2019 at 18:34, WeAreElgin said:

I've booked flights to the US for next year, flying from Inverness via Amsterdam. Anyone else done a similar route? I'm curious to know how painful the transfer will be in Schiphol, never had a flight transfer outside the UK. Do you still need to go through passport control etc to get from one gate to the other?

On 08/08/2019 at 23:01, Psychedelic said:

Transferred through Schiphol to Atlanta last year, you don't have to go through passport control/security again...

Just FYI, I transferred through Schiphol earlier this year (albeit I was moving from KLM to Air France) and did have to go through passport control.  I had 45 minutes between flights and it was pretty tight - 4 hours is plenty time.  You'll even have time to head to the rooftop bar with the giant cans of Heineken!

19 hours ago, deej said:

Flying in and out of Chicago, ideally direct from Scotland. Any recommendations on who to book with, and when they release their flights for the end of July onwards?

I find British Airways pretty good, and have flown them (/American Airlines, who they have a codeshare with) to the USA many times.  It sounds counter intuitive, but I have even flown once from Edinburgh where it was cheaper to fly through Heathrow than to do the exact same flights from Heathrow (i.e. the flight from Edinburgh reduced the price).  And you can buy extra suitcases much cheaper than other airlines (important if you are going to an outlet mall on your travels...), as they charge per bag as opposed to per kg.  Also, BA airmiles never expire, which is good.

Did 3 week road trip in US last year, and 3 weeks this year in Canada and US.  There is no better place!!

Most scheduled flights are on sale one year before, they don't work like budget airlines where all the summer 2020 flights are released in one go. I booked flights (not Chicago) for early July 2020 a few weeks ago, so they should already be on sale. I suggest you have a play around with Skyscanner then check with the individual airlines. If you can't find a direct flight from Glasgow or Edinburgh I'd suggest trying BA, the Glasgow Heathrow/Gatwick leg should be thrown in more or less for free. Haven't flown to the States for years though.
P.S. Just checked BA and it doesn't look like you'd save much with them on the GLA/LHR leg. Delta looks cheap but with a couple of changes.

To reinforce, play around with Skyscanner but, especially if you have connections, buy direct with the airlines.

Also note that if you transit it the US you have to collect your luggage and go through immigration at the transit airport and the destination airport, and you can’t just stay airside as you can in pretty much every other country.

AFAIK the only direct to Chicago is United from Edinburgh. We usually go Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago with Aer Lingus, it's (been) cheaper, and you can do immigration at Dublin which is hugely less busy than doing it at ORD.

Sign up for the airline loyalty schemes, for example the virgin one means you get a 7% discount on packages through virgin holidays. This would allow you to book a package based on the delta codeshare from Edi-O’hare.

• 4 months later...

Hoping someone can help, just a quick question about the ESTA visa. I got one in Nov 2018 and travelled to NY. Now I'm heading back to the US next week so I know my ESTA is still valid. 

But my question is : do i need to have a physical copy of it or the ESTA number or something?  As far as I can remember i only had my passport going through security after landing. 

If I just have my passport will it scan automatically & recognise the visa is still have?

Can't find too much information about this, just need to know exactly what I have to bring.  Cheers in advance! 

Hoping someone can help, just a quick question about the ESTA visa. I got one in Nov 2018 and travelled to NY. Now I'm heading back to the US next week so I know my ESTA is still valid. 
But my question is : do i need to have a physical copy of it or the ESTA number or something?  As far as I can remember i only had my passport going through security after landing. 
If I just have my passport will it scan automatically & recognise the visa is still have?

Can't find too much information about this, just need to know exactly what I have to bring.  Cheers in advance! 
No need for a physical copy, your ESTA is directly linked to your passport number.
If you want you can retrieve all your ESTA information by filling in your details on the ESTA website.

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

No need for a physical copy, your ESTA is directly linked to your passport number.
If you want you can retrieve all your ESTA information by filling in your details on the ESTA website.

I think they do advise you to take a physical copy of your ESTA as a back up.  We didn't need it when we cleared immigration in Chicago a few months ago, but definitely better to be safe rather than sorry. 

45 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think they do advise you to take a physical copy of your ESTA as a back up.  We didn't need it when we cleared immigration in Chicago a few months ago, but definitely better to be safe rather than sorry. 

I take physical copies of everything in case the system goes down or my phone goes dead/malfunctions or whatever. Or just some c**t saying "computer says no". It's only a few sheets of paper.

Edited by welshbairn