America

qos_75

Already going planning on going to back to Seattle for 3 weeks at the end of September after having just been out there for a wedding a couple of weeks ago.

Some place, I feel I barely scratched the surface, with the most touristy thing I done was go watch the Mariners. Does anyone have any recommendations of stuff to do out there?

Booked Florida for 2 weeks in October! Can't wait to go back - 2 years this week since I got back. Girlfriends family have a time-share in a nice resort so just the flights to pay which is always a cracking bonus. Stocking up on $ now as the exchange rate hit a massive high.

As i say, been before, but open to suggestions of things to do so anything would be welcome. Going to see The Buccaneers vs the Ravens in Tampa but apart from that got a free schedule.

Can recommend Clearwater Beach for a visit. Nice place.

Got 5 1/2 hours between flights at newark on the way back from Florida, check bags in in Orlando and don't see them again until Scotland. Think this 5.5 hours would be enough time to pop into New York for a couple of hours?

No. Not worth the bother. Sit on your hands and wait for your connecting flight, or at least have a pint. Imagine how you would feel after a nice couple of hours in NYC and you get stuck on the highway behind an accident, causing you to miss your flight back to Scotland.

Anyone been to Miami? Planning on heading over to Cancun for spring break then doing a week in Miami and hopefully catching the Ultra Music Festival. Have never been to the US and barring pop culture, have little idea of what to expect from Miami apart from steroid junkies, birds with fake tits and tattoo parlours.

I was pleasantly surprised by Miami, it's known to some as the the most northern Latin American city and it feels quite different to other American cities. There's also one of the largest populations of holocaust survivors and there's a huge memorial which is quite sobering and definitely worth a luck. Also within easy reach of the Everglades for day trips too.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to choose our destination for next year.

I fancy California (not LA). My girlfriend wants to do a DC/Boston/New York trip.

I'm trying to think outside the box.

Anyone recommend somewhere that isn't Orland, Miami, LA, Chiacgo or Seattle?

Nashville is a decent place to spend time in.

Can't go wrong with San Francisco and Vegas as part of your West Coast Swing.

TBF I've been to New Orleans already....it is fucking tremendous.

Easily the most underrated city in the whole country. Just so much to do.

I'd go there over most of the big places, such as LA any day of the week.

The French Quarter, Bourbon Street, the Garden District, the food, the Gators, the Saints football, the people. Probably my favourite city in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's been...

I've booked a ticket to go to Atlanta on 22nd Oct. My return ticket is early January so I'm within the 3 months you can 'holiday' for....

Anyway, I've heard there is a 'visa waiver' that you need to get, is that right? Also... The medical insurance I've looked at for three months is about £125+ - am I better off just taking my chances?

Would be a big help to hear from people that've been. My ticket's booked for the 22nd and I've done nothing else... Wish I was a proper grown up :(

For anyone who's been...

I've booked a ticket to go to Atlanta on 22nd Oct. My return ticket is early January so I'm within the 3 months you can 'holiday' for....

Anyway, I've heard there is a 'visa waiver' that you need to get, is that right? Also... The medical insurance I've looked at for three months is about £125+ - am I better off just taking my chances?

Would be a big help to hear from people that've been. My ticket's booked for the 22nd and I've done nothing else... Wish I was a proper grown up :(

Visa waiver is mandatory. It's 10ish minutes online and costs about £30. Simple stuff and you can't go without it.

Medical/travel insurance? When I traveled a lot I made sure I had a good insurance policy even though I never used it. £125 does sound pricey though.. I'd try getting a few price-quotes online