America

qos_75

My sister and her husband went on a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon last month. She said they went inside the canyon (didn't realise you could do that) and said you could literally have cooked an egg on the ground, such was the heat.

It's very popular for hiking. There is a park regulation, at least on the south side, that you cannot go down and back up on the same day - you need to camp. (Presumably this cuts down on people going down ill-prepared and needing rescued.)

1348611582[/url]' post='6660120']

We are hoping to go to the States next year in August or September and having visited New York, Vegas and San Francisco last year we are going to go back to Vegas and take in another city or two.

I fancy Miami, although I don't think this will be the best time of year to go due to the potential for hurricanes. That said, we have looked at Chicago and the likes of Houston and San Diego too, however we are undecided. So, I would grateful if you can recommend another good US city to visit for three or four days.

Any big city on the coasts,anywhere inland is retarded.

Would agree with Seattle, great place to visit. Strikes me as a great place to live as well.

San Diego is ok but for the most part very clinical. The zoo is great. If you do go to San Diego, don't go to Tijuana - its a shithole, and the seediest place Ive ever been.

If you are going to anywhere on the West Coast I can recommend good (and a few iffy) hotels. We did a Seattle to San Diego road trip a few years back sticking to the coast road (in a convertible Mustang). There are some stunning places in coastal Oregon and North Cali.

Yeah, wouldn't recommend Atlanta unless you know people there who can show you around.

Had a great time in atlanta,theres quite a few things to do(cnn/cocacola) found the locals to be really friendly,its got a nice walkable city centre/downtown area

Why the hell people are even mentioning places like Dallas, Houston and Denver is a complete mystery, like someone coming for a holiday in London and being recommended a few nights in Sheffield of Sunderland.

I'd go with Chicago as well, it will make your flight home a wee bit quicker and is a quality place, not sure why it is so good but it just is, great feel to the place. Philly and Boston are decent shouts as well, got good nightlife and some historical stuff but not quite as nice as Chicago. I'd love to live there.

Why the hell people are even mentioning places like Dallas, Houston and Denver is a complete mystery, like someone coming for a holiday in London and being recommended a few nights in Sheffield of Sunderland.

It's not really like that at all, when I went I was starting in San Francisco and finishing in New York, if I flown directly between the two cities I would have lost virtually an entire day from my holiday, so I wanted somewhere in the middle to break the journey for a couple of days and, as i'm interested in JFK, Dallas seemed as good a place as any.

As long as you are staying in the centre of Baltimore it's fine...I've stayed close to there and it can get a bit hairy if you go off track. It's amazing how much poverty there is in the city which pushed a lot of middle/upper class out into the suburbs...were there is wealth off the radar.

I really like the relaxed atmosphere in Washington, plenty of open space and loads of historic things to do. Spent 3 years being a 'tour guide' for those who'd never been and there is always something new to go see.

If you are into your history, I'd recommend Annapolis which was the capital around the time of independance. The tour is very interesting and gives a great insight into that period of history.

Not a big fan of Philadelphia but it does have some interesting stuff - the rocky steps, liberty bell etc and grab a famous Philly cheese steak if you do go.

NYC is the main attraction on the East Coast but there are so many interesting places to go. Personally I would hire a car and drive around. Going off the beaten track is fantastic and meeting some fascinating people and places is well worth it.

Edited by BTID