America

qos_75

Fair point, anywhere near will do.

Yep. It had that wonderful big city feel, where the moment you step out of the hotel you're on a crowded street with pavement restaurants, people everywhere...

New Orleans would normally be my suggestion. A different take on Americana compared to most cities that you could visit: a bit more of a European feel, interesting history, and fantastic food and music. It's probably my favourite American city that I have visited.

That said, it might not be the best time of year to visit (although when I went it was mid-September and the weather was perfect).

Boston and Chicago are also great cities to spend a few days exploring.

Not so sure about Atlanta - I was there with work for a couple of weeks earlier on this year. Nice enough city with a few things to see but it's no tourist Mecca.

Savannah, Georgia.

Went there a few years ago and totally fell in love with the place and the people. Sadly, getting back hasn't been so easy.

Spent a week in an bar in Tybee Island, just outside Savannah, in the week leading up to Dubya's second election, arguing with the solidly Republican locals. Got accepted as a haggis eating surrender monkey. 80 degrees all week, with a gentle sea breeze, in November. Not a clothes line to be seen blink.gif. Wide empty beaches. Bit down market, like an English seaside town, but some good food. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

I was in Boston back in97 but it was work related, we spent all but one evening either in a hotel or the company training centre, so I've no idea if it's nice or not.

Had a few days in NYC, Manhattan a couple of years back and really enjoyed that too.

Houston's a good place for a three-night break - there's some lame rivalry between Dallas and Houston, but I don't buy into it. I recommend Houston one day, for sure. It has some great museums and parks, and some fine restaurants. But don't do it this time, because even September is awful. I can't emphasise this enough: do not go in the summer under any circumstances. Just don't. The heat may not always be above 100 but the humidity is absolutely unbearable. I live in Dallas, and I try only to go to Houston in the winter, and even then it can be quite muggy, believe it or not.

Really? I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago and I didn't find it that bad. I was there for a good few days before those storms hit and while it was hot, I still found it bearable. Granted, I went to Vegas after (last week) and while it was "hotter" it felt more comfortable with the lower humidity, but I honestly didn't find Houston that uncomfortable.

Really? I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago and I didn't find it that bad. I was there for a good few days before those storms hit and while it was hot, I still found it bearable. Granted, I went to Vegas after (last week) and while it was "hotter" it felt more comfortable with the lower humidity, but I honestly didn't find Houston that uncomfortable.

Then you're a witch.

Would add more support for Chicago, great city and the centre is relatively compact and a lot of things are in walking distance; there's the loop if you can't be arsed walking. Great food as well, I've never seen a city with so many restaurants and absolutely massive portions!

Washington is really interesting, loads of monuments and places to visit, a lot within walking distance of each other, I would say you needed more than three or four days there though, I was there for five days and still had a couple of things I wanted to see.

Dallas is okay for a couple of days, not sure there's enough to keep you busy for three or four. Was there a couple of weeks ago for the weekend, apart from the JFK stuff (which is really interesting and the Sixth Floor Museum is well worth a few hours) there wasn't really a huge amount of other stuff for tourists. They do know how to cook a steak though!

There probably is, but as I wasn't driving (and only there for the weekend) I was looking for things in and around the city centre.

I'll also admit to being woefully unprepared for visiting Dallas, despite knowing I was going there for about four months beforehand I didn't bother looking into what to do until I actually got there, normally I know what I want to see and do before I go somewhere.

My plan is to visit San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles over the festive period. Having looked at the three I'd say I'm most looking forward to San Diego.

Having past through Chicago last month, it can get hot and fairly humid at that time of year. If it gets too much though then it also has a beach.

My plan is to visit San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles over the festive period. Having looked at the three I'd say I'm most looking forward to San Diego.

Having past through Chicago last month, it can get hot and fairly humid at that time of year. If it gets too much though then it also has a beach.

Wouldn't bother with LA over hyped ... San Francisco excellent with lots to see nearby ...

Did a tour of Arizona with the bird last Summer and we had a brilliant two weeks. Worth it for the Grand Canyon alone.

Took flight over it from Vegas well worth it. Landed near hotel right at the edge where every president has stayed at least one night ... Stunning

My sister and her husband went on a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon last month. She said they went inside the canyon (didn't realise you could do that) and said you could literally have cooked an egg on the ground, such was the heat.