Clach info

welshbairn

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

We had a cracking breakfast in Dunbar recently just off the town centre, plus the John Muir Museum is worth a visit to see how this man shaped America.

I'm ashamed to say I never found out who he was despite half the town being named after him, "John Muir had a slash here." etc. Grand choice of pubs and restaurants, sadly Sunday and funeral Monday wasn't the best time for it, I stayed on for a train down to Luton Airport on Tuesday morning. Not sure what deal they have with the council, but Dunbar United have facilities just about every Highland League club would kill for, pristine pitch too. Do you remember where you went for breakfast? 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm ashamed to say I never found out who he was despite half the town being named after him, "John Muir had a slash here." etc. Grand choice of pubs and restaurants, sadly Sunday and funeral Monday wasn't the best time for it, I stayed on for a train down to Luton Airport on Tuesday morning. Not sure what deal they have with the council, but Dunbar United have facilities just about every Highland League club would kill for, pristine pitch too. Do you remember where you went for breakfast? 

We were heading south but stopped in for a break and a look at the John Muir set up, the cafe was at the bottom of the street on the right as you drive in on just before you turn into the High Street. I'm not surprised at the club facilities as it appeared a prosperous town no doubt as it is on the Edinburgh commute and would be cheaper than Gullane for Housing.

Muir persuaded President Teddy Roosevelt to camp out with him and explore Yosemite which was the start of The American National Parks, Muir's birthplace has become a sort of pilgrimage for Americans and he is regarded as the father of American Naturalist and Environmental culture well over a century before today's more populist movement.

As for progressive and history changing Scots, if you are interested, another fascinating man was the Fraserburgh born Thomas Glover who opened up Japan to Western trade and was a co founder of Mitsibishi and also the man who encouraged young Japanese Noblemen to go and study with the Royal  Navy who were the ancestors of the Japanes Navy Officers in command for the attack on Pearl Harbour.

I've visited Glovers house twice in Nagasaki.

Edited by SandyCromarty

I'm not surprised at the club facilities as it appeared a prosperous town no doubt as it is on the Edinburgh commute and would be cheaper than Gullane for Housing.

Gullane would be a rubbish place to live.

I've visited Glovers house twice in Nagasaki.

Very impressive boastfully shoehorning in the fact that you've been to Japan twice, but I'm not sure I believe you. Any real Bovrilite who had been there would mention the mustache on the Kirin dragon was fashioned after Glover's, and the Kirin Cup was the last tournament the senior men's team won!

11 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Gullane would be a rubbish place to live.

Very impressive boastfully shoehorning in the fact that you've been to Japan twice, but I'm not sure I believe you. Any real Bovrilite who had been there would mention the mustache on the Kirin dragon was fashioned after Glover's, and the Kirin Cup was the last tournament the senior men's team won!

I never boast or relate mistruths, and I was well aware that Glover co founded Kirin Beer, I first visited his house when I was in the Merchant Navy and I was totally unaware of his existence until the visiting ships padre, based in Nagasaki, told me about Glover, my second visit was more recent when I was living and working in SK and I had to go out of the country to Japan to renew my work visa in Fukuyama, my wife and I then took the train down to Nagasaki so that I could show her the Glover House and of course the Nuclear bomb Museum. On my first visit to the epicentre area the water tower though bent was still upright, as Nagasaki is very hilly the bomb detonated a couple of hundred feet above the ground for max effect, the water tower was immediately under it so escaped most of the blast, they have now moved the tower into the museum and it's lyibg on it's side.

Given your knowledge of Glover you will also be aware of his connection with Puccini and Madame Butterfly.

TBH I couldn't give a fuckin monkey's whether you believe me or not as you sound a malicious mistrustful little twat.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yip. And every person there was impacted by the war in some way.

Almost like the current state of affairs is just military fetishism.

Judging by the age of some of the spectators, some would have been impacted by both wars.

Good win for Clach today.

Was a penalty despite some Huntly fans saying it was a dive (keeper stuck out his left leg far too late, but did attempt to play the ball).

Seemed like theire was some niggle between the sides- not aware of anything?

31 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Good win for Clach today.

Was a penalty despite some Huntly fans saying it was a dive (keeper stuck out his left leg far too late, but did attempt to play the ball).

Seemed like theire was some niggle between the sides- not aware of anything?

I was at the other end of the pitch but it looked like a stonewaller to me, was surprised the keeper only got a yellow. I just think the niggle was that Huntly arrived expecting the points in the bag and found themselves 2 down to a better team. Fair play to them though, they fought till the end and were a tad unlucky not to score, as we were not to get 4 or 5.. 8)

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was at the other end of the pitch but it looked like a stonewaller to me, was surprised the keeper only got a yellow. I just think the niggle was that Huntly arrived expecting the points in the bag and found themselves 2 down to a better team. Fair play to them though, they fought till the end and were a tad unlucky not to score, as we were not to get 4 or 5.. 8)

Still unsure how that toepoker from the Clach about about four yards out didn't go in.

23 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Still unsure how that toepoker from the Clach about about four yards out didn't go in.

I think we hit the post and the bar in a stramash towards the end, mind you it was getting pretty dark. They might have to do 1pm kick offs if they're going to save on the lecky.

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Game off, unsurprisingly.

I was quite hopeful it would be on being as we missed the worst of the weather. Nairn and Forres games are going ahead, as is St Duthes v Alness in Tain, though the games at the IRA and North Kessock are off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Going to be up in Inverness on Saturday so planning to head to game v Brechin. Any recommendations on decent pubs near the ground or on the way from the centre of town to the ground would be appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, Jute said:

Going to be up in Inverness on Saturday so planning to head to game v Brechin. Any recommendations on decent pubs near the ground or on the way from the centre of town to the ground would be appreciated. 

I'd say the Innes Bar is best for close to the ground.