Lets All Laugh At Rangers Thread

5 minutes ago, dave.j said:

13 months, aye.

the oldest starts school this year. Frighteningly intelligent girl! Shes practicing joined up writing this week.

Week 2 will be teaching her auld man the apostrophe ;)

Edit...because I'm not really THAT cheap.  My older two are doing GCSEs and A Levels...it's a decade+ on but the same lovely process.

Edited by The_Kincardine

8 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

They are starting to panic and paranoia is setting in.

The closer it gets to Celtic possibly attaining ten in a row will be too much for them if they are still having financial difficulties fielding an average side. Public unrest and anarchy could prevail.

I'm telling you - the most fascinating part of 'the journey' is just unfolding now.  It involves watching a Rangers side that is pretty average in its current habitat.

Even at the funniest stages so far, that's not really been the case up to now.  Despite hilarious stumbles, the trajectory has been upwards.  That 'progress' is now stalling and the calls for manic spending from those who apparently just wanted a team to watch, will become ever more shrill.

5 minutes ago, Derlei said:

Not sure where you get this info, but I can't see progress stalling a great deal, yes, we've been poor recently, but a new manager who can attain European football for next season will amount to a good season for us.

The best this season can produce is a very distant second placed finish and even that is starting to look like a longish shot. 

That's not a good season.  It doesn't reflect the club's spending or match the aspirations of a great many Rangers fans.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm telling you - the most fascinating part of 'the journey' is just unfolding now.  It involves watching a Rangers side that is pretty average in its current habitat.

Even at the funniest stages so far, that's not really been the case up to now.  Despite hilarious stumbles, the trajectory has been upwards.  That 'progress' is now stalling and the calls for manic spending from those who apparently just wanted a team to watch, will become ever more shrill.

I agree the journey could take a fascinating twist, but where along the journey and by what is the key moment. I think the lack of investment over the next couple of seasons in the top flight will be too much for some who have been brought up during the Murray's EBT driven squad era. After decades of being the team to catch and chase whilst winning silverware and lots of it domestically  the lack of success may be the final straw for some.

All the talk of not buying ST's next season if the board do not find or fund the required money to compete for the title is definitely a catch 22 situation. They sat back and watched their club die and now they are threatening to destroy the cloned club by sitting back down again until some sort of cash Messiah shows up throwing cash at the squad.

I know for certain the worst thing they fear most is seeing Celtic possibly attaining ten in a row and much worse!, cruising to 55 top tier titles a few years after that. If that happens there could be a seismic shift in the support reverting back to supporting their local team hopefully.

13 minutes ago, Derlei said:

Not sure where you get this info, but I can't see progress stalling a great deal, yes, we've been poor recently, but a new manager who can attain European football for next season will amount to a good season for us.

European football for Scottish clubs isn't anything like it was over a decade ago, no club immediately gets to the group stages guaranteeing a cash windfall. Scottish clubs must negotiate through the qualifiers and with our coefficient being terrible we face the bigger leagues nearer the group stages.

So even if Rangers do qualify for Europe the most likely scenario is failing a round or two before the group stages. In some cases the club will lose money from certain fixtures because they have no real money to offer from playing foreign teams in leagues thousands of miles away with opposition no one is likely to have heard of.

Edited by hellbhoy
shpeelin errur

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The best this season can produce is a very distant second placed finish and even that is starting to look like a longish shot. 

That's not a good season.  It doesn't reflect the club's spending or match the aspirations of a great many Rangers fans.

Top four would be fine by my book, build up to second then in 3 or 4 years go for the title.

Patience grasshoppers.

2 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

European football for Scottish clubs isn't anything like it was over a decade ago, no club immediately gets to the group stages guaranteeing a cash windfall. Scottish clubs must negotiate through the qualifiers and with our coefficient being terrible we face the bigger leagues nearer the group stages.

So even if Rangers do qualify for Europe the most likely scenario is failing a round or two before the group stages. In some cases the club will lose money from certain fixtures because they have no real money to offer from playing foreign teams in leagues thousands of miles away with opposition no one is likely to have heard of.

Yes, achieving European football would really not offer Rangers what they need, unless they make startling progress.

The prestige would be welcomed I'd imagine, and it would get overblown as a marker of recovery.  Such are Rangers' crowds too that they'd doubtless make a few quid.

Just getting there however, will not yield the riches plenty seem to be expecting.

I hope we get someone in on a permanent basis right now rather than in the Summer. If we appoint someone in the summer they have only 2/3 weeks to get the team ready before the Europa League qualifiers start, whereas appointing a permanent manager now would make us better prepared for the next season. 

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, achieving European football would really not offer Rangers what they need, unless they make startling progress.

The prestige would be welcomed I'd imagine, and it would get overblown as a marker of recovery.  Such are Rangers' crowds too that they'd doubtless make a few quid.

Just getting there however, will not yield the riches plenty seem to be expecting.

It's the group stages they need to be aiming for and nothing less. Aberdeen made some money from the last few European campaigns but it wasn't a lot but was good enough to help Aberdeen invest a bit more in the squad.

The level of investment some Rangers fans are wanting is tantamount to qualifying through the group stages to the knock out phase just to recover what they spent to get there. So it's not a win win situation by any means.

14 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

It's the group stages they need to be aiming for and nothing less. Aberdeen made some money from the last few European campaigns but it wasn't a lot but was good enough to help Aberdeen invest a bit more in the squad.

The level of investment some Rangers fans are wanting is tantamount to qualifying through the group stages to the knock out phase just to recover what they spent to get there. So it's not a win win situation by any means.

Absolutely.

Only qualifying for the CL group stages would really net the kind of fortune they seem reliant on, and that's surely miles off.