Strange dreams

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

I sometimes got the sitting in an exam dream. It was either Highers or University.

I haven't sat an exam for a quarter of a century.

The last time I had the dream I said in my dream "what the f**k? I've got a job". Then I woke up 

These days I just seem to stick to less stressful dreams like shagging Kylie.

I have that dream too but I always wake up with a start just as she's strapping on 'The Black Russian'.................................

• 3 weeks later...

Sleep paralysis last night, but was actually able to move a bit. Was lucid the whole time.

The 'entity' actually said she was a succubus & went to town on me. (Same as all the usual stories)

Managed to peg me tae.

Woke up not in a panic (like normal sleep paralysis I've had)

On 09/11/2022 at 20:13, DA Baracus said:

Debated if I should put this here or on the depression thread, but don't want to clog up the other thread so have opted for here.

I have a recurring dream, and had it last night. It isn't every night, or even every week. It's quite random when it comes and I don't know what sets it off, but it does happen every so often, sometimes more in one month that others.

In the dream I am panicked because I know I am failing at university and will have to leave. I feel really upset in the dream as I know my future is sliding away and I'll be fucked for a long time because of it, but am powerless to stop it, and I have no idea what to do with my life and feel 'trapped'. I'm failing due to pretty bad mental health issues that have meant I don't turn up for a lot of things and don't sit exams. In addition I feel deep shame for failing and feel that I've let so many people down, none more so than my dad, who feels really ashamed and disappointed of me in the dream.

Whenever I have the dream I wake up feeling pretty anxious and pretty down. Things get to me far more easily, things that I'd often just shrug off, and little things become very anxiety inducing, whereas these things wouldn't be big issues before. I feel down because the dream mirrors what happened in real life. I did fail university due to bad mental health issues. I did feel a potential future slide away from me. I did f**k up my chance of getting a degree and thus have very little prospects now. I did 5 years at Aberdeen University and only got to third year, sitting year 1 and year 2 twice because I fucked the exams (in addition to mental health problems, I had abysmal academic skills and had no idea how to study effectively and how to get the most from lecture notes). I had to sit a fucking chemistry exam 6 times and still didn't pass (just couldn't get the formulas right, both the chemical ones and the equation ones; they just would not sit right in my head and always felt jumbled no matter how much I read them over and over and over; even now trying to picture that sort of thing leaves my brain in a sort of fog). I do feel like I let loads of folk down, my dad most of all. I had to sneak out of my parent's house at 05.30 one morning to walk to the next village to get the first bus to get the first available train to Aberdeen for some re-sit exams, and had to run from the station to the university. I didn't tell them I'd failed and was repeating for a while as I was so ashamed.

This was over 10 years ago though. I left in 2012 with nothing but significant student loan debt. I don't really think about it much and have tried to put it behind me, but this fucking dream keeps popping up and won't let me let go of the past. 

Mewling over.

Think TxRover's right - it's a stress thing. My version of this is being back at school, not knowing where my classes are, and knowing that I'm months behind in some of them. Also, I'm my current age, having to do GCSEs with teenagers. Thankfully I've had the dream so many times that I normally decide to just leave or mouth off at the staff rather than panic  :P

You ever think about going back and doing something else? It might help with the trauma you're obviously still feeling about your time at Uni, and there's a lot more support for people who are struggling now, especially as your description of formulas seeming jumbled doesn't sound a million miles away from something like dyslexia. I don't know if there's a time factor with student loans and fees - I did an HND twenty-odd years ago, but didn't have any problems with re-applying last year.

59 minutes ago, Venti said:

Sleep paralysis last night, but was actually able to move a bit. Was lucid the whole time.

The 'entity' actually said she was a succubus & went to town on me. (Same as all the usual stories)

Managed to peg me tae.

Pass on my details next time you see her, m9.

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Managed to peg me tae.

The good sleep paralysis?

• 2 weeks later...

Night before last, I dreamed that Paul McCartney turned out to have written something like 90% of pop music since the Fifties. There were people beeling all over the news - punk, acid house, grime, disco fans, all despairing that Yer Da had created the soundtrack to their youth. It was great.

Later on, I was in the new Frasier TV series, only it was real. It was also great. Apparently I've always wanted to run around in a panic because of a series of unlikely misunderstandings, while things spontaneously combust and posh guests remain implausibly unaware.

On 07/12/2022 at 15:13, BFTD said:

Later on, I was in the new Frasier TV series, only it was real. It was also great. Apparently I've always wanted to run around in a panic because of a series of unlikely misunderstandings, while things spontaneously combust and posh guests remain implausibly unaware.

On 07/12/2022 at 15:13, BFTD said:

Night before last, I dreamed that Paul McCartney turned out to have written something like 90% of pop music since the Fifties. There were people beeling all over the news - punk, acid house, grime, disco fans, all despairing that Yer Da had created the soundtrack to their youth. It was great.

I really wish this was true. 

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

https://www.bustle.com/wellness/dreams-about-going-to-bathroom-meaning-experts

I've been dreaming a hell of a lot recently about needing to use the toilet.  Like 3 times in a fortnight.

Is your subconscious perhaps telling you that you're full of crap?

What did that Jung have that was so special?

I've probably mentioned this before, but I've always been pretty certain that I attended a game at Brockville in December 1984 - I did - we won 2-1 with two late goals from Stuart Burgess and Stevie Kirk.

But before the game we went for a pint in a pub where there was a fish tank in the gents containing vicious looking fighting fish, that a local explained went into action on a Wednesday night. It was a bit like a darts or dominoes night kind of affair. 

Like I said, nobody has ever managed to corroborate this. So I have written this off as a dream. 

We did win 2-1 though, and I managed to narrowly avoid getting my head kicked in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dreamed last night that the wife bought us tickets to a Falkirk match as a surprise. 

We went along to the game and, when we arrived, it turned out to be a cup final. Not the Scottish Cup but some kind of regional cup. We were playing Cowdenbeath. The game started and Cowdenbeath absolutely destroyed us. Goal after goal after goal. 

The Falkirk fans were giving the players and the manager some real stick. At the end we had to wait while the Cowdenbeath players lifted the trophy, which was tiny (the size of a guy's thumb). Their captain raised this tiny cup above his head and the players were all spraying champagne around, and we had to watch.  

Even in my dreams we can't win a cup.

I have four basic recurring dreams

Flying- usually starts somewhere mundane, like a supermarket car park, start sliding then take off. Great fun. 

Precipice-end up on a narrow ridge or cliff with some approaching peril, like it's crumbling or monsters are coming. 

I'm a killer. I wake up in the dream and go about my normal business terrified about the consequences of having recently murdered someone. 

Pish. I really need a piss in my dream and usually wake up really needing a piss. This has previously combined with sleepwalking when i've stayed away from home, with some unfortunate consequences. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have four basic recurring dreams

Flying- usually starts somewhere mundane, like a supermarket car park, start sliding then take off. Great fun. 

Precipice-end up on a narrow ridge or cliff with some approaching peril, like it's crumbling or monsters are coming. 

I'm a killer. I wake up in the dream and go about my normal business terrified about the consequences of having recently murdered someone. 

Pish. I really need a piss in my dream and usually wake up really needing a piss. This has previously combined with sleepwalking when i've stayed away from home, with some unfortunate consequences. 

I used to have a weird variant on the flying dream - I can hover a few inches above the ground, although it takes effort and constant adjustment, like balancing on a thin kerb. I can "fly" by making swimming motions with my arms, but slower than walking speed. It's the world's shittest superpower.

6 minutes ago, Venti said:

As stated before, I lucid dream.

I can phase through windows & walls. Yet sometimes hit 'brick walls' which I cant pass through.

noclip has limits.

Just now, BFTD said:

I used to have a weird variant on the flying dream - I can hover a few inches above the ground, although it takes effort and constant adjustment, like balancing on a thin kerb. I can "fly" by making swimming motions with my arms, but slower than walking speed. It's the world's shittest superpower.

noclip has limits.

When I go into 'Superman mode' sometimes I'm limited. Other times can go supersonic.