Craig Levein

dubs

I really want to like him.

However he doesn't help himself sometimes.

-The whole Fletcher saga, which I agree isn't all his fault, however this could have been nipped in the bud fucking ages ago.

-6-4-0 :huh:

-Comes across as very arrogant and his squad selections are questionable for a variety of reasons.

-Calling up Ian Black and then giving him 5 minutes at the end just to prove a point to the critics.

That being said, he has my full backing for this campaign.

Hope he proves me and many others completely wrong but I fear we are in for a very uninspiring campaign which will fizzle out very quickly :(

I agree with everything in this post, apart from the bit in bold. I can understand why some people would see him as arrogant, but I actually think he is quite insecure. I'm sure I read somewhere that he had major problems with confidence around about the time of his Leicester gig.

Instead, I would put in there that it's his petulance that annoys me. He's not as bad as some (I'm looking at you Dalglish), but his press conferences can be a bit eye wincing. Not forgetting his storming away from an interviewer live on Sky. Pretty pathetic.

His handling of the Fletcher saga, at the beginning anyway, was decent - up until the point whereby he cut him loose altogether. Since then he's resorted to petty jibes (not unlike Fletcher himself), culminating in him saying that Fletchers transfer price was "obscene". Again - pathetic IMO.

All that said, some of the criticism aimed at him is ALSO pathetic. People who don't like/rate him for having a beard and bad patter, really need to have a fucking word.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why "should" we have qualified?

Are we back to you claiming that 'Scotland fans think they have a god given right to win games' chat?

We should have beaten the Czechs at Hampden in the last campaign, they were not remarkably better than us and we should have beaten them. That would've given us second place.

We should have beaten Norway at Hampden qualifying for WC 2010, Iwelumo's miss was absolutely astonishing and the entire campaign, along with Burley's time as manager collapsed in that split second. That would've given us second place, still possibly not the playoff, but regardless.

Euro 2008 qualifying is a freaky anomaly. Georgia were a poor side, but still no mugs, we could have qualified there, but that whole campaign was utterly mental.

WC 2006 qualifying was hamstrung throughout after our disastrous start. Still, we collapsed against Belarus at Hampden in a home game we could have won.

I don't think I'm 'expecting' to win games on a god given right, just that these were crucial game we could've/should've won.

He showed the Czechs too much respect when they were actually a very average side that we could've beaten. That's the first major problem I have with him.

The second is the Steven Fletcher saga. Fair enough the striker is at fault here too, but he would be such an obvious benefit to our squad that Levein should be doing everything he can to sort it out. I'm not saying Levein has to apologise or anything like that, but he should have at least met with Fletcher and thrashed it out man-to-man - air their grievances.

His handling of the media is a minor criticism I have with him. As is his treatment of McFadden.

I've also disagreed with certain selections, but that's not something limited to Levein's time in charge.

So, I would rather have someone else in charge, in all honesty. But I'll be 100% behind Craig and the team throughout this campaign.

Levein needs to be the bigger man here, pick up the phone to Fletcher and tell him that even although he could have conducted himself in a more professional manner by asking not to be selected by text, what has happened is now in the past and it's time for them to both move and put their differences aside for the sake of the nation Scotland needs to have their best players available for selection but unfortunately Levein is just too much of a stuborn tw_t to make the 1st move.

It goes both ways though.

For a start, Fletcher should never have texted to say he didn't want in the team. In a situation like that, you at least phone. That's what Levein was annoyed about. It's petty from both of them, it's childish and it should've been resolved by now but it goes both ways.

the same txt service used by the SFA to inform the unsuccessful candidates during the interview process for a manager

Does that matter? Surely any player should be taking the Darren Fletcher route of making themselves available for any match, friendly or otherwise?

I'm pretty sure the likes of Hutton and Brown pulled out of many friendly squads.

Why does he ALWAYS reveal his line-up the day before the match?

To make it easier for the opposition to nullify our threat.

You would give different instructions to a defender if they were facing Miller rather than Rhodes, or snodgrass rather than Forrest.

It's moronic.

For me his arrogance in the media and remarks about his appearance shouldn't come into it

I think his appearance comes into it a wee bit.

He is representing the Nation and dresses like a tramp.

I'm not saying he should dress like Joachin Loew but he should have a bit of respect for himself and us.The way he dresses makes out he can't be bothered making the effort . Really don't now what look he is going for.

Auld alkie ned?

However I shall be supporting the team and am desperate we get to Rio. I really hope CL proves me wrong.

for me my major issues are below:

1. 4-6-0. Simply ridiculous. I wouldnt mind as much if he would turn around and admit it was a mistake, but he is to proud to admin it.

2. The McFadden situation.

3. The USA game. For me this one is personal. I live in Florida and was really looking forward to spending time with the tartan army, rather being a lonely figure in a bar watching football. Spent a fair bit of money of petrol, hotels, strips, food etc (still not much to those that traveled from scotland). However after that terrible display he then said it was an end of season game and some people were not up for it. That really pissed me off, we have world cup qualifiers coming up, but he couldnt get his team motivated.

However the SFA are not going to get rid of him now so I wish him the best and pray that I am proved wrong.

Why is he so loathed amongst the Scotland support? Other than the fact he has a shaggy beard and played 6 in midfield against the Czechs in Prague, I don't think he's done that terrible a job, far from it infact. We punch above our weight considering the size of our country in most respects, and I think given time we will only get better under his tutelage. Who could we get that would do a far better job? I don't think there are many, if any, obvious candidates.

I can't recall why I've gone off him. But i've decided that when it comes to the 'good c**t'/''c**t' flip of the emotional coin, he's currently a c**t.

Obviously, if he manages to get us to the World Cup i'll re-evaluate that decision. If he doesn't manage to get us there i'll rant on endlessly about how I was right that he was a c**t and that he should be sacked. When he is eventually sacked, I'll initially back the next manager, but that relationship probably won't end well either.

I can't recall why I've gone off him. But i've decided that when it comes to the 'good c**t'/''c**t' flip of the emotional coin, he's currently a c**t.

Obviously, if he manages to get us to the World Cup i'll re-evaluate that decision. If he doesn't manage to get us there i'll rant on endlessly about how I was right that he was a c**t and that he should be sacked. When he is eventually sacked, I'll initially back the next manager, but that relationship probably won't end well either.

:lol:

Apart from Smith/McLeish who were unbelievable for us this has applied to near enough every manager yet.

We should have beaten the Czechs at Hampden in the last campaign, they were not remarkably better than us and we should have beaten them.

I think that's pretty biased thinking on your part - we could easily have ended up winning the Hampden game but we were by no means dominant - weren't they denied a cast iron penalty in the first half too? And wasnt our first goal completely against the run of play?

'situation'??? Not picking an out of favour, out of form free agent seems logical to me.

See i find this a bit odd too.

Sure he chastised McFadden for the Liechtenstein game, but the reason he hasnt been called up again was he suffered a cruciate injury weeks later and wasn't fit to play blink.gif

I think that's pretty biased thinking on your part - we could easily have ended up winning the Hampden game but we were by no means dominant - weren't they denied a cast iron penalty in the first half too? And wasnt our first goal completely against the run of play?

As were we, as Berra was brought down, what he was doing in the penalty box is a question I've never really figured out and answer to. We were poor in the first half, yet went in ahead, and much better at the start of the second but papped it as soon as we got ahead.

It probably is a bit biased, but as you said, we could have won that game.

Incidentally, is that game the reason Wilson has fallen out of favour?

Archived