Strange Fears

CountyFan

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's quite honestly something about sheep that freaks me the f**k out. I can't even explain exactly what it is beyond that sheepy way that they look at you. It's unnerving. This is hardly on the level of a phobia, but I honestly feel uncomfortable around sheep. laugh.gif

Have you had a bad experience with one?

Accidentally ending up amongst a bunch of sand eels whilst swimming in the sea and coming under heavy fire from dozens of dive-bombing Guillemots barely a metre away from harpooning your skull in from above.

This. If I spot one in the house I bolt for the door and won't re-enter that room until the wife has dealt with it. This is lamentable cowardice in a man of almost forty. I live in absolute dread of the day one enters my classroom at work: it'll almost certainly mean the end of my career when I piss myself with fear and start crying in front of a group of second years.

I've had literally hundreds of them in the house this summer. For every wasp that's disappeared there seems to have been a hundred daddy long legs appeared. Every day I leave for work there's at least half a dozen sitting around the brickwork at the front of my building.

I usually pick them up by their legs and fling them out or let my wee cat deal with them. He loves the taste of the wee buggers.

See when you think about it, how have they evolved and survived so long? They can't fly well, they are really flimsy, aren't well hidden from predators and ridiculously easy to catch. You'd imagine they'd have gone extinct millions of years ago.

I'm sure we did this thread not long ago, in which I admitted to my mortal fear of ships and boats.

I'm so bad that a picture of a ship on the TV will send me queasily scurrying from the room.

I remember the first time I ever clapped eyes on Aberdeen harbour. Had no idea it was practically in the city centre. Turned off of Union Street in the middle of blethering with the missus, looked up, keeched myself, and had to inch all the way along the street with my back flat against the wall on the opposite side of the road from the harbour wall. Must have looked like I'd escaped from Carstairs or something.

Wasps. I don't understand why though. I never used to have any kind of fear of them, indeed, I mind during school I was always the one who could sit quiet, let them rest on my hand, and then put them out. I've been stung a couple of times too, so I know I don't have an allergy, and I know it isn't that sore. For some reason though, my phobia has grown in the last few years to the point where I can't be in the same room as one. Indeed, when I was staying with my dad a few years back, a wasp flew into the room I was meant to be sleeping in, and I couldn't find it. I went and stayed at my mum's house instead.

Since my phobia got worse though, the b*****ds have got more scary. I once had to sit perfectly still in the middle of a swarm in the attic when a wasps bike somehow got disturbed when I was moving boxes. Last summer, they decided that they loved my car, to such an extent that there were so many of them on the car that I climbed in via the back seat. A couple of the fuckers clung right while I drove to the shops. And when I came back out of Tesco, half an hour later...they were still there, buzzing around my car. Now, I can't even stomach the thought of seeing them outside my window. :(

I hadn't been up in the loft at the family house in about 4 months so when I got back I heard what I thought was a garden trimmer cutting hedges next door. I got up the stairs and there was a wasp about 2.5 inches long!!!! It was dive bombing and making this horrendous noise. I overcame fear with anger and went at it with a spray can so then it started zig zagging across the room. I was running and hiding, falling over old furniture and it finally fell. I keep getting shudders thinking about it. However, it seems apparent that there a lot of us so let's set up an anonymous phobia group because I'm afraid to open Windows in the house during the Summer!

Cabin Fever.

I like the comforts of home but I took a week off once to redecorate the hall and was going nuts within two days. I had to go to a cafe just to be surrounded by people.

Why is it called Cabin Fever?

Why is it called Cabin Fever?

Simply a way to describe the feeling of claustrophobia caused by being shut in. May have sailing origins, but it's purely a descriptive term for the feeling of being trapped in a place and desiring a change of scenery.

Archived