The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• 2 weeks later...

Boy at work gave me some beers he had no intentions of drinking. Having a Brewdog Dead Pony Club. Not a Brewdog fan myself and this hasn't helped changed that. Alright enough pale ale but fairly average and a bit watery.

• 2 weeks later...

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier (5.2%)

Smells like a combination of Arbroath (that's maybe a bit niche but anyone who's been there kens) and TCP but with a wheaty backbone.

Has an almost coppery tang on the tongue and bonfire smoke in your nose as you exhale. Not the usual thing I'd go for but cracking selection in the pot still so went for something leftfield. A nice change. Definitely worth trying.

post-22047-0-30629100-1453068357_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a pub nearby that has a happy hour special with all domestic draft beers for 3 dollars and Belgians for 5. Sampled a few last week, including a mint chocolate stout. Currently on Goose Island's Festivity brown ale. Despite the sketchy name, it tastes similar to the dunkel or dark beer variety of Germany and the Czech Republic. It's excellent.

There's a pub nearby that has a happy hour special with all domestic draft beers for 3 dollars and Belgians for 5. Sampled a few last week, including a mint chocolate stout. Currently on Goose Island's Festivity brown ale. Despite the sketchy name, it tastes similar to the dunkel or dark beer variety of Germany and the Czech Republic. It's excellent.

Where's this mate? Had Usher's Mint Choc Stout in Edinburgh last week, really nice beer. Also had De Molen - Rasputin, 11.4%, dark fruits, slight smokiness, tasted like a combination of old rum butter caramels and pineapple chunks...fab.

Moriarty's pub in Philadephia. Also had Founders' All-Day IPA (decent, nothing special) and Russian River's Belgian-style ale, which was a reasonable attempt at the originals.

Nice one mate, prefer the Founders All Day Breakfast.

Heading back to Edinburgh for the Hibs game on Wed, hoping to have a few in the Guilford Arms, Jeremiah's Taproom and The Windsor en-route to Easter Road with your favourite FCUM supporting, Exiles teammate Davie McArthur. Should I pass on your regards?

Moriarty's pub in Philadephia. Also had Founders' All-Day IPA (decent, nothing special) and Russian River's Belgian-style ale, which was a reasonable attempt at the originals.

What's your favourite? Genos/Pats/Tony Lukes?

What's your favourite? Genos/Pats/Tony Lukes?

Was recommended a smaller place called Cosmos deli a few blocks south of the Cheesesteak zone, it was very good and definitely better value. Haven't tried the others for taste though.

Nice one mate, prefer the Founders All Day Breakfast.

Heading back to Edinburgh for the Hibs game on Wed, hoping to have a few in the Guilford Arms, Jeremiah's Taproom and The Windsor en-route to Easter Road with your favourite FCUM supporting, Exiles teammate Davie McArthur. Should I pass on your regards?

I always knew that a gloryhunter like him would slither back to the big, successful club.

post-11540-14560115115487_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a few more new beers in Philly, the first one being, erm, Innis and Gunn's Irish Whisk(e)y Aged Stout on draft. For $3 in the happy hour and one that I hadn't tried before it was an obvious choice, I was surprised to see it available at all. It's very good but the rum finish version remains my personal preference. Also had a Goose Island pilsner, which seemed more like an IPA and was okay, and their Brown Ale, which was a less tasty version of their Festivity variety. For novelty value tried a blood orange IPA which was okay. Currently based in Pittsburgh about fifteen minutes walk from the Penn Brewery, which produces quite a few German-style beers - my pick is their seasonal Marzen beer - which are all good but none of them outstanding. Similar to West's range with the exception of the Munich Red IMO.

One issue that I didn't notice in my previous travels is some distinctly dodgy bartending - quite a few pints are served with almost no head or, on occasion, completely dead straight out of the cask. This makes ordering pilsners and IPAs a risky business, so I've been drifting towards darker beers that aren't completely ruined by either dreadful storage or service.