The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

While we're on the subject of different/unusual beers...Mrs cT bought me a book a couple of christmases ago called 1001 Beers you must try before you die, with a post-it on it saying "Thought there might be a few you've not tried, ha ha"

It turns out that I'd only tried about 110 at the time, however, I have now got it up to 149, but hopeful that I can add some more over the coming years.

post-6010-0-18974500-1347651286_thumb.jp

Beer Batesmans Mocha beer

Abv 6%

Style Beer

Aroma An enticing coffee and chocolate aroma

Taste Exactly as it says on the bottle - a flavour of mocha

overall I'm not a proper connoisseur of beer and ales - I'm quite happy with a bottle of Coors light - however this beer was absolutely fabulous and I'd recommend it to any coffee lover out there. I will definitely be rushing back to Sainsbury's to buy some more of this.

Pleasing to see this review. Just in the door with a shitload of beers from Sainsburys and Tesco in Dundee and this one was among them. Shall be firing into them after this pizza :lol:

Tonight I'm having a couple of the Inveralmond Brewery's Ossian.

beers-classic-ossian.jpg

I found this after the brewery decided to follow me on twitter and I kept a look out for it. I found it in my local Tesco.

A gold coloured ale that goes down rather well chilled and has a lovely zesty aftertaste. Quite light as well so you could drink it all night.

8/10

Beer: Glencoe Premium Wild Oat Stout

(website is http://www.tradition...ottishales.com/ but it doesn't seem to work)

Abv: 4.5%

Style: Stout

Aromas: Light coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, oatmeal

Taste: Light roast, moderate bitterness, cereal, slightly creamy, hint of peat

Overall: The name of the brewery (Traditional Scottish Ales) and the label made me worry it was one of those shitey things they market towards tourists but this was nicer than I expected. This is one of those beers you don't bother putting in the fridge. This came off the shelf in Tesco then 25 minutes in a bag on the back of my motorbike to get home. Sat it in the kitchen cupboad for the best part of an hour and then opened it so it was probably just a tad below room temperature. Best way to unlock all the aromas and flavours.

7/10

DSCF5904.JPG

Edited by Derek Patterson

Beer: Broughton Old Jock Ale

Abv: 6.7%

Style: Wee Heavy

Aromas: Initially smells quite boozy, almost a hint of a tangy white wine aroma, tangy fruit, faint hops, raisins

Taste: quite sweet, caramel maltiness, hops are quite faint but still give a bit of kick, roasted malt barley

Overall: Strong flavours but surprisingly light and drinkable considering the abv. If anyone has had McEwans Champion, this isn't a million miles away but is probably the more drinkable beer.

7/10

OJ_JPG.jpg

Edited by Derek Patterson

Agree on the former. 5am Saint is fantastic. On the latter, I think Kirin is great but too expensive.

Innis and Gunn Rum Finish ??/10. I can't make up my mind over this. I tastes fantastic but it's not just like a beer somehow. It tastes like a huge red wine, sticky and quite sweet with a very strong finish. 7.4%. Well worth a try but wouldn't do more than one or two at a time.

Rum finish is my favourite Innis and Gunn. I just love the way it's sweet without being cloying. As you say, it's two max though. Falling over brew. :lol:

Beer - Batemans Spring Breeze. 

ABV- 4.3%

Style-Beer

Taste-The most amazing after-taste; Summer, light, fizzy, floral, malty-soapy-citrus zest that just cleans the palate after each sip. A burnished gold refreshing beer that goes well with pizza, pasta & Italian sausage. 

K6ujR.jpg

Interesting, I like an ESB. What mark would you give it out of ten?

Tonight I'm having a couple of the Inveralmond Brewery's Ossian.

beers-classic-ossian.jpg

I found this after the brewery decided to follow me on twitter and I kept a look out for it. I found it in my local Tesco.

A gold coloured ale that goes down rather well chilled and has a lovely zesty aftertaste. Quite light as well so you could drink it all night.

8/10

Love this beer too. I find Inveralmond to be one of those breweries whose beers are like Marmite - love them or hate them. They have some I can't drink and a couple that are amazing - this included.

The name of the brewery (Traditional Scottish Ales) and the label made me worry it was one of those shitey things they market towards tourists but this was nicer than I expected.

I've always avoided TSA for this very reason! However, I thought £1.29 for 500ml wasn't too bad even if it is shite, so I bought Lomond Gold.

Old Jock is very good, up there with Champion Ale, but I find it tough to even manage a 500ml bottle, it's so flavoursome and heavy.

Beer: Cairngorm Wildcat

Abv: 5.1%

Style: Amber Ale

Aromas: Malty and strong. Interesting creaminess, almost like Belhaven Best

Taste: Really robust and malty. Woody and a little floral, quite carbonated

Overall: This is one I like. Tastes stronger than 5.1% and is full of bitter malty notes. This is the first time I've tried this and I'll be having more. The blurb on the bottle says it's fruity, but I'm not picking that up at all. If I had a choice of any amber ales this would be on the shortlist. Nice one!

7/10

post-4200-0-64973000-1347726920_thumb.jp

Beer: Deuchars Imperial Pale Ale

Abv: 5.2%

Style: Premium Bitter/ESB

Aromas: Kind of sweet, biscuity. Bit of citrus zing.

Taste: Strong and bitter, malt, creamy and sweet.

Overall: This is a good 'un. Brewed to celebrate the 21st anniversary of Deuchars IPA getting re-brewed, it's not quite an IPA, but a fine example of a bitter. The slightly creamy sweet taste is excellent but it finishes dry and bitter. Again it's one you'd never put at 5.2%, it's very drinkable. Unfortunately I couldn't find a web link to any official sites as sadly Caledonian is now part of the huge Heineken conglomerate these days. It's a solid bottle of bitter that I doubt will be available long term but worth a go if you see it.

6.5/10

post-4200-0-09048300-1347731642_thumb.jp

Interesting, I like an ESB. What mark would you give it out of ten?

I would personally give it a good 7.5/10 I'm not a huge bitter fan, but this, I could easily sup all night with some nibbles. Preferably a spicy italian/german sausage.

Not too heavy on the gut. It has a unusual aftertaste. You'll either love it or hate it.

Beer: Deuchars Imperial Pale Ale

Abv: 5.2%

Style: Premium Bitter/ESB

Aromas: Kind of sweet, biscuity. Bit of citrus zing.

Taste: Strong and bitter, malt, creamy and sweet.

Overall: This is a good 'un. Brewed to celebrate the 21st anniversary of Deuchars IPA getting re-brewed, it's not quite an IPA, but a fine example of a bitter. The slightly creamy sweet taste is excellent but it finishes dry and bitter. Again it's one you'd never put at 5.2%, it's very drinkable. Unfortunately I couldn't find a web link to any official sites as sadly Caledonian is now part of the huge Heineken conglomerate these days. It's a solid bottle of bitter that I doubt will be available long term but worth a go if you see it.

6.5/10

post-4200-0-09048300-1347731642_thumb.jp

I had a bottle of this a few days ago. Probably would have given it 7 so pretty much in agreement with your score.

Beer: Manchester Star Ale

Abv: 7.3%

Style: Original Bitter

Aromas: Chocolate and spice

Taste: Seriously smooth and strong. Sweet aftertaste

Overall: This is superb! Honestly, I'll be like a burst couch tomorrow with the strength of this, but it's so much more complex than just abv. The chocolate gives it a smooth sweetness that offsets the obvious bitterness from the abv. This is a proper winter beer, comforting and warm, with a little hint of spice. JW Lees is a renowned Mancunian brewery, and their Brewers dark is a CAMRA award winner (as Mild beers go, it's really good). This was brewed after someone at JW Lees found a 100 year old recipe by accident. Bit of luck! This is definitely NOT a session beer, but if you see this, get one - it's a joy. Note that the JW Lees website says 6.5% abv but the label on the bottle says 7.3%. My guess is the label is correct.

8/10

post-4200-0-32098000-1347738600_thumb.jp

Where did you get that 6th sense one? Want it. Got and/or tasted all the rest, also have the Willy Nilly one with Dylan Thomas on the label ready for slurping.

If you're in the area of a Sainsbury's again get this Manchester Star Ale, it's magnificent. Oh, and Screech Owl too.

I'm in full agreement, quality beer is the zeitgeist. 8)

Where did you get that 6th sense one? Want it. Got and/or tasted all the rest, also have the Willy Nilly one with Dylan Thomas on the label ready for slurping.

If you're in the area of a Sainsbury's again get this Manchester Star Ale, it's magnificent. Oh, and Screech Owl too.

I think 6th Sense was from Tesco. Was in both Sainsburys and Tesco in Dundee last night. Saw that Star Ale and the Screech Owl and was tempted but was on the motorbike and could only carry so much. Gonna fire into the Mocha one next I reckon.

I think 6th Sense was from Tesco. Was in both Sainsburys and Tesco in Dundee last night. Saw that Star Ale and the Screech Owl and was tempted but was on the motorbike and could only carry so much. Gonna fire into the Mocha one next I reckon.

Ayrgirl loved that mocha, I had a sip and was quite surprised how nice it was. I'm not one for the novelty-esque beers - coffee, banana and all these types of things don't do it for me in beer, but this one was well worthwhile. A one bottle at a time only situation though for sure.

Must get to Tesco. Seems they're offering us some awesomeness too. :D