The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Last Nights Selection:

Arran Dark - 8/10 Excellent dark ale

Prodigal Sun - 7.5/10 A new beer from Williams Brothers. A Golden Ale, nice but had kind of flowery notes that were not great.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - 9/10 Excellent stout, far more flavour than regular guiness but at 7.5%ABV you dont want to drink too many of them

Rip TIde - 7.5/10 A stout from BrewDog. Not as good as the Guinness Foreign Extra but at 8%ABV had lots of flavour.

If you like good beer get to Sainsbury's - they're having an amazing beer festival at the moment. All bottles £1.50, with at least a couple of dozen available. Plenty of choice.

Cammy, you're a git. I wanted to be first to review Prodigal Sun :P

If you like good beer get to Sainsbury's - they're having an amazing beer festival at the moment. All bottles £1.50, with at least a couple of dozen available. Plenty of choice.

Cammy, you're a git. I wanted to be first to review Prodigal Sun :P

Tesco are doing the same offer on most bottles (Williams Bros included), with Innis and Gunn down at £1.25 a bottle.

post-6010-0-82289600-1347631490_thumb.jp

The aroma is rich dark chocolate with some mild coffee and earthy notes. The taste is dark chocolate and quite malty almost porter like. This somewhat appealed to me as I love coffee however it is very sweet and it's not something you could drink a lot of. Whilst I enjoyed tasting it it's not one that I'll rush out and buy again.

Beer: Screech Owl IPA

Abv: 5.5%

Style: India Pale Ale

Aromas: Light, flowery, hint of citrus fruit

Taste: Dry and strong but with depth, floral aftertaste.

Overall: This is terrific. Got it in the Sainsbury's beer festival for £1.50. Says on the castle rock brewery website it's only available for three weeks in stores, which is a real shame. It's very crisp and easy to drink but it's not overpowering, which is tough to accomplish considering its strength. American hops are used to give it a bit of 'oomph'. Recommended, despite one of my pet hates of real ale - a 330ml bottle.

8/10

post-4200-0-64659000-1347644191_thumb.jp

I'm going to the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth tonight :D Observe the beer list: http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/fortworth/beer?groupby=style

Fucking hell! I hope you're not going with anyone who objects to a grinning, dribbling beer soaked mess. That place is nirvana.

They even do an 'Around the world' taster. :wub:

Another review may briefly assuage my jealousy.

Beer: Williams Bros Midnight Sun

Abv: 5.6%

Style: Stout/Porter

Aromas: Roasted barley, liquorice, hint of ginger & spices, dark chocolate.

Taste: Slight maltiness, dark coffee/cocoa, little bit of dark fruit, root ginger

Overall: Lovely porter. This would be a great winter beer. Very tasty but not overly heavy. You could easily have a few of these. Nice classic porter taste goes nice mixed with the slight spiciness. If you keep your beers in the fridge then I'd say to maybe leave this out for at least 20 mins before opening it as if it's over chilled a lot of the tannins and oils won't come out and you'll miss a lot of flavour.

8/10=

midnight-sun_0.png

Had one these tonight. Sorry to say not a fan of it. The head disappeared almost immediately and I thought it tasted over-carbonated. I would give it 5.5 out of 10.

Beer: Scarborough Fair IPA

Abv: 6.0%

Style: India Pale Ale

Aromas: Nothing startling, smells a bit like a brown ale, or maybe a mild.

Taste: It's heaving with strength, and that overpowers anything else. Afterwards you get a slightly malty, woody essence.

Overall: I'm actually not that impressed. I love IPA more than any other style of beer, but this is just too strong, too forceful to leave any room for anything else. I kind of see what they've gone for, it's a very stylish bottle and the name evokes Northerners, flat caps and whippets, and in that sense the beer is very much like beers our forefathers may have drunk right off the shift at the mine or the shipyard - hard and not that subtle. The blurb does say drink it with hot food, which to me just suggests it needs a bail out. It's a shame to review it directly after the stunning Screech Owl, but it's not brilliant at all, nothing here that I can't get from a pint of Newcastle Exhibition Ale (apart from a couple of percentage of abv.)

5/10

post-4200-0-69382700-1347647427_thumb.jp

I'm going to the Flying Saucer in Fort Worth tonight :D Observe the beer list: http://www.beerknurd...r?groupby=style

'Kin hell !!!, I've been in bars all over Europe and the States, but that's as good a menu as I've seen. Hope you have a great night.

p.s. I've tried 52 of the beers on the menu. :D

post-6010-0-18974500-1347651286_thumb.jp

Beer Batesmans Mocha beer

Abv 6%

Style Beer

Aroma An enticing coffee and chocolate aroma

Taste Exactly as it says on the bottle - a flavour of mocha

overall I'm not a proper connoisseur of beer and ales - I'm quite happy with a bottle of Coors light - however this beer was absolutely fabulous and I'd recommend it to any coffee lover out there. I will definitely be rushing back to Sainsbury's to buy some more of this.

BrewDog Alpha Dog - 7.5/10 A nice red ale but not quite as good as 'Cock O the Walk' to my taste. In fact I'd say I prefer BrewDog's '5AM saint' to this.

Kirin Ichiban - 7.0/10 One of my favourite lagers.

Agree on the former. 5am Saint is fantastic. On the latter, I think Kirin is great but too expensive.

Innis and Gunn Rum Finish ??/10. I can't make up my mind over this. I tastes fantastic but it's not just like a beer somehow. It tastes like a huge red wine, sticky and quite sweet with a very strong finish. 7.4%. Well worth a try but wouldn't do more than one or two at a time.

Agree on the former. 5am Saint is fantastic. On the latter, I think Kirin is great but too expensive.

Innis and Gunn Rum Finish ??/10. I can't make up my mind over this. I tastes fantastic but it's not just like a beer somehow. It tastes like a huge red wine, sticky and quite sweet with a very strong finish. 7.4%. Well worth a try but wouldn't do more than one or two at a time.

I tend to pick what I drink based on whether I like the bottle or not, but I had a look at the rum finish last week and opted for the blonde and original instead. The very mention of "rum" put me off I think but based on what you've said, I'm glad I didn't choose it now. I've also discovered that I very much like both the blonde and the original and could happily drink either. Just a couple though. Oooft.

I tend to pick what I drink based on whether I like the bottle or not, but I had a look at the rum finish last week and opted for the blonde and original instead. The very mention of "rum" put me off I think but based on what you've said, I'm glad I didn't choose it now. I've also discovered that I very much like both the blonde and the original and could happily drink either. Just a couple though. Oooft.

It's not bad, it's just...different. It's worth trying. Bloody strong though.

I think the blonde is superb, probably that or Trade Winds are my favourite.

It's not bad, it's just...different. It's worth trying. Bloody strong though.

I think the blonde is superb, probably that or Trade Winds are my favourite.

I think the blonde just shades it for me. It's got a real punch to it. I'm not sure if the original tastes milder because it is or because I'm drinking it after the blonde though!