The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Most of the Williams Bros. beers from Alloa are worth a try, particularly Cock O The Walk, Birds and the Bees, Seven Giraffes and Good Times. My favourite is Scottish Session (for a session, obviously) but it's not one of their regulars and it's not easy to find.

IMO the best that they do. Birds and Bees and Grozet not far behind. Their brewery is close to the house so it's handy to pop down and pick up a few crates now and again.

Their Ceilidh lager is also pretty good.

IMO the best that they do. Birds and Bees and Grozet not far behind. Their brewery is close to the house so it's handy to pop down and pick up a few crates now and again.

Their Ceilidh lager is also pretty good.

Yup, Grozet is tremendous, forgot about that! Their 80-/ is also pretty decent.

On their website it's £18 for 12 bottles, is it any cheaper in the actual brewery? Not that it isn't well worth £1.50 a bottle right enough, but worth an ask.

Yup, Grozet is tremendous, forgot about that! Their 80-/ is also pretty decent.

On their website it's £18 for 12 bottles, is it any cheaper in the actual brewery? Not that it isn't well worth £1.50 a bottle right enough, but worth an ask.

It's about the same. I was buying one of their Fraoch 22's at the same time so it changed the price a bit. Still cheaper than buying them in Tesco who are charging £1.75 a bottle. And of course no shipping cost.

They don't have a shop so you just sort of turn up and wander in. They're quite friendly.

Tried an ale at the Grampian Beer Festival two or three years back and it was like the 'Laphroaig of beer'. Wonderfully smoky and probably the finest one I've ever had. However, after a fair few more, I only went and forgot the name of it.

All I know is that it's Orcadian and you won't be able to buy this stuff at the supermarket. Any leads from 'experts' in this field would be much appreciated!

As for the supermarkets, I wish they'd start stocking Joker IPA over the 7 Giraffes etc. Can't seem to find it of late.

Oh, and Hebridean Islander... I must order myself a case containing this (the one with the green label).

Edited by Hedgecutter

It sounds to me like Dark Island Reserve. Glorious stuff. Had it at Paisley ale festival the other month and pleasingly obtained a bottle of it yesterday.

Nah, definitely not Dark Island Reserve. Really like their Northern Light though.

Tesco have fairly recently started selling the black isle brewery blonde, although the heather honey is probably my favourite.

Guess what my lovely girlfriend has brought me back from Tesco this evening when I said "pick me a random beer"? biggrin.gif

post-13234-0-60121100-1346276152_thumb.j

It's love I tell ye.

I tried Cock of the walk based on the recommendation of a poster on here, it was fantastic! I've yet to see it in Scotland but I am a big fan of Mahou which is brewed in Madrid. Quilmes is also a pretty decent drop.