The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Had a fantastic night at the Troon ale festival. Tried a beer brewed by a company in Houston, Renfrewshire called Dunkelviestel, or something like that. It was akin to drinking God's sweat. Beautiful!

Also met Derek Paterson and Tryfeld, both by total coincidence. Lovely gents and fair enjoyed a good pint with them.

Had a fantastic night at the Troon ale festival. Tried a beer brewed by a company in Houston, Renfrewshire called Dunkelviestel, or something like that. It was akin to drinking God's sweat. Beautiful!

Sounds like they've made a Dunkelweizen, a dark wheat beer. Would have thought that beyond them, unless there's another set up in Houston beyond the Fox & Hounds own Houston Brewery. I like the Jock Frost they do, but the rest of their stuff is forgettable. How the f**k Peter's Well ever became award winning was beyond me.

Also met Derek Paterson and Tryfeld, both by total coincidence. Lovely gents and fair enjoyed a good pint with them.

How's the head? More to the point, has monster combusted at the selection or real ales? :P

Waffen, I think it was that one, it was absolutely lovely. Kiwi, I'm feeling pretty brutal. Might have a Williams Bros beer tonight to sort out this brutal hangover! He was like a kid in a sweetie shop, I thought he was going to shoot his load as soon as we got through the front door!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any difference between that Tennents Export stuff you can get now and ordinary Tennents? I might be heading to a mate's tonight and I'm tempted to grab a six-pack to go with.

It's nothing special but it's nicer than most of the standard canned lagers.

More European tasting than the normal T which is pash.

Aldi launched their Scottish Ale Festival today. Good selection of stuff in that I've never seen before.

The 4 at the front I've never tried before and also got 3 familiar ones.

Don't think there's a specific end date as such, just essentially ends when the stock is gone.

Well worth nipping in for a look.

post-22047-0-67689300-1351888688_thumb.j

Is there any difference between that Tennents Export stuff you can get now and ordinary Tennents? I might be heading to a mate's tonight and I'm tempted to grab a six-pack to go with.

I've not had it but it's 5% whereas regular TL is 4%. Export strength is generally stronger.

I fell in love with the Goose Eye brew that night. T'was lovely. No sign of Ayr Brewing Company's "Dr Hornbook". What a potent mix that is. Still, a good wee evening and it was nice to bump into yourself and Monster agian, and get a quick chat with Derek Paterson. Good guys, them all.:D

Beer: Deeside Brewery Talorcan

Abv: 4.5%

Style: Chocolate/Milk stout

Aromas: Dark chocolate, expresso, roasted malts

Taste: Quite chocolatey but not overly sweet at first. liquorice, hint of smokiness, sweetness comes in later

Overall: Had never seen this one before not tried anything from the brewery. Discovered it in Aldi for their Scottish Ale Festival so I guess it's only there for a limited time. Quality example of a chocolate stout. Good choc kick but not as overly sweet as some can be. Fairly robust but not massively overpowering. Definately worth picking up if there's an Aldi nearby.

8/10

post-22047-0-05782700-1351902955_thumb.j

Edited by Derek Patterson

Beer: Kelburn Ca'Canny

Abv: 5.2%

Style: Dark Ale

Aromas: Old fashioned cola (think Fentimans Curiosity Cola), some toffee/caramel, faint hoppy kick, dark fruits, bread yeast

Taste: Quite malty, little bit of liquorice, some caramel, wee bit citrus, faint coffee, light smoke

Overall: First Kelburn beer, again from the festival at Aldi. A very Scottish tasting old fashioned beer. Nothing to write home about but I've seen a few places in Glasgow with this stuff on tap so will get a pint sometime to see if it's better on tap. Nice enough though and maybe a good introduction to and older style of beer.

7/10

beer_60703.jpg

I've yet to try a Williams Bro beer that I don't like! Got a bottle of the Midnight Sun (?) in the fridge, might have that tonight actually.

Tried the Glencoe beer, can't remember the brewery. It was fairly nice, a deep black stout with a lovely hint of chocolate. Saddened that I only picked up the one, it was beautiful.

I've yet to try a Williams Bro beer that I don't like! Got a bottle of the Midnight Sun (?) in the fridge, might have that tonight actually.

Tried the Glencoe beer, can't remember the brewery. It was fairly nice, a deep black stout with a lovely hint of chocolate. Saddened that I only picked up the one, it was beautiful.

post-4200-0-55397100-1352381736_thumb.jp

If it's this one it is Traditional Scottish Ales brewed in Stirling. Their Ben Nevis I.P.A. is one of my favourite all time real ales.