The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Beer: J.W. Lees Manchester Star Ale

Abv: 7.3%

Style: Porter

Aromas: Tangy hops, raisins, dark toffee malt, dark fruits, pipe tobacco, hint of spice, chocolate malts, actually slightly reminiscent of Old Jock though a tad lighter

Taste: Dark chocolate but not bitter, roast chocolate malts, sweet and very smooth

Overall: This was a darker one than I expected. Absolutely lovely stuff though. Very smooth for a higher Abv beer too. As Monster says it's a cracking Winter beer. Almost too easy to drink :lol:. I'll be back to Tesco Sainsburys to get a few more of these before they stop selling it again.

8.5/10

JWleesManStar.jpg

Dear Derek Patterson,

Thank you for posting a review of this beer.

Had it not been for your review of this beer, I probably would never have bought it, however, after your review I thought I'd buy a few.

WOW!!!, I have been to Prague 7 times and my favourte beer is Dark Kozel, this is the closest I've come to it on these shores, so big shout out to you. :D

I am currently drinking a Wisconsin beer: Leinenkugels. I'm having their 'berry weiss' variety (4.7%) and can't recommend it highly enough. The sweet/tart flavour of blackberries and honey, with the smoothness of a weiss beer. If their other varieties are even half as good as this then it will be a pleasing 8 months.

I'm going to an Oktoberfest in the local brewery/bar tonight. :D

Starting with Samuel Adams' Summer Ale now. Apparently brewed with lemon peel and grains of paradise, this is a very refreshing wheat ale. Perfect for a warm, sunny day like today.

Beer: Moulin Brewery - Ale Of Atholl

Abv: 4.5%

Style: Bitter

Aromas: Yeasty smell, wholemeal bread, hint of dark fruits, faint hoppy tang, nutty aroma

Taste: Rich & malty, dark roast, almost a faint hint of expresso, roasted hazelnut

Overall: This is from a tiny brewery in Moulin just a couple of minutes drive from Pitlochry. Just remembered about the place whilst out on the bike earlier tonight so popped into pick up a bottle. I'm sure I had this on tap in the Moulin Inn a few years back with a bar lunch but can't really remember much about it. Not a remarkable beer but a good solid bitter with a nice nutty character. I'd love to try their other brews but unfortunatly this seems to be the only one they bottle and I've never seen it in the shops anywhere. If anyone is up that way though I'd definately suggest nipping in and pick up a bottle of have a pint. Lovely wee place up there.

*also forgot to add, this beer is bottle conditioned so careful with the pour

7/10

post-22047-0-70095500-1349047144_thumb.j

Edited by Derek Patterson

Beer: Brewdog Libertine Black Ale

Abv: 7.2%

Style: Black IPA

Aromas: Distinctive Brewdog hoppiness, some dark fruits, something slightly herbal, pine, grapefruit

Taste: Hoppy but smooth, dark malts, dark chocolate,

Overall: Another one of Brewdog's weird and wonderful creations. Got the rich dark sweetness of a nice imperial stout but the tang and hoppiness of an IPA. Not top of the Brewdog range but still a cracking beer.

7.5/10

post-22047-0-74963600-1349134057_thumb.j

Beer: Knops Black Cork

Abv: 6.5%

Style: Porter

Aromas: Huge sweet chocolate, cappucino

Taste: Green & Blacks chocolate but with a very mild bitterness, faint smoke, some liquorice, dark sweet coffee, hint of sweet spice

Overall: This reminded me slightly of Williams Bros Midnight Sun due to the spice but this is richer and smoother. Lovely winter beer.

8.5/10

post-22047-0-85818700-1349306020_thumb.j

Beer: Cairngorm Brewery Blessed Thistle

Abv: 4.5%

Style: Bitter

Aromas: Herbs, spices, ginger, sweet maltiness

Taste: Moderate bitterness from the hops, hint of spice, slight herbalness which I'm guessing is from the thistle, some toffee, dark fruits

Overall: Only my second beer from Cairngorm. Not quite as nice as the Black Gold stout but at the same time it's not really a fair comparison being a different style of beer. Actually reminds me slightly of the Clootie Dumpling beer from a few pages back but with toned down spice and a little bit more bitterness. Nice enough.

7/10

Cairngorm_Blessed_Thistle_Scottish_Beer_Guide11-290x160.jpg

By complete coincidence Derek....

Beer:Cairngorm White Lady

Abv:4.7%

Style: Wheat Beer

Aromas:Barley and fruit.

Taste: Roast barley then orange and a flowery aftertaste.

Overall: I'm no fan of wheat beers usually but this is terrific. A full barley hit first of all, then orange and a subtle flowery taste that's apparently coriander. It's light, fresh and tastes far less than 4.7%. There's just a hint of spice I reckon at the the end, but it's so smooth and easy to drink you can't fault it. I'm rapidly becoming a huge fan of the Cairngorm Brewery. I had a bottle of Trade Winds a couple of weeks ago and loved it too. Must try Blessed Thistle and Black Gold soon.

7.5/10

post-4200-0-92851800-1349540075_thumb.jp