The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

M&S are quite reasonable for ales, had a browse last night whilst killing time and ended up buying 4 bottles. They always constantly rotate their stock and bring new stuff in, a good change from the likes of asda who always stock the same stuff.

It's 2016 - crowd-funding isn't just for start-ups and illicitly paying for cruise holidays to Russia. It's just a different way of raising capital than a traditional share issue, in exchange for some perks from the company rather than a corporate dividend.

Visited the Mountain Town tap room to get more beers than their selection in their 'downtown' bar/restaurant. Had a blackberry wheat Stout, which wasn't bad given how mixed up that concept is, as well as a local, Belgian-style trippel which was very good. The interesting feature is that the brewery does a line of gruit beers, which are beers brewed with rosemary and more obscure herbs to add flavour, rather than hops. The end product is similar apart from a lack of bitterness, which doesn't bother me. Having tried their original gruit a few years ago I went for their peach gruit, which was excellent.

Enjoying a bottle of Old Engine Oil, Harvieston's porter. Got it in Morrison's, which actually has a good selection.

Surprisingly Harviestoun's range has been available regularly in Australia for over 10 years but only ever seen the Old Engine Oil, Schiehallion and Bitter & Twisted. No bad stuff but always need to check the best before date as they might have been sitting on the shelves for a while.

It's 2016 - crowd-funding isn't just for start-ups and illicitly paying for cruise holidays to Russia. It's just a different way of raising capital than a traditional share issue, in exchange for some perks from the company rather than a corporate dividend.

You just can't let it go can you.

Pure muppet. 100%abv

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a massive fan of the jet black heart. It's a continuation of the milk stout prototype I'm sure?

I have a bottle of the Brewdog Born to Die to have tomorrow. 8.5%(give or take a 0.). Looking forward to trying it.

Had a couple of pints of the Jet Black Heart in Brewdog (Merchant City) on Sunday and if I hadn't been working next day I would definitely have had a few more. Each to their own tastes but I thought it was lovely. Available for £1.50 a bottle in Morrisons at the moment.

On the subject of Morrisons, I popped into the Stevenston branch after work yesterday and they have revamped their beer section with quite a few I haven't tried before including another Brewdog (Hop Fiction? ). On a more pleasing note, to make way for the new range they had a table full of reduced beers which I took full advantage of. Some beers for as little as 40p :-)

Had a couple of pints of Schiehallion in the sunshine last night. Haven't had it for a while and it was certainly a lot nicer than I remembered. Maybe it was the good weather though.

The pub which is 20m from my desk has this on tap. I also have the NE beer festival at Pittodrie to look forward to next week. Tough times.

Had a couple of pints of the Jet Black Heart in Brewdog (Merchant City) on Sunday and if I hadn't been working next day I would definitely have had a few more. Each to their own tastes but I thought it was lovely. Available for £1.50 a bottle in Morrisons at the moment.

On the subject of Morrisons, I popped into the Stevenston branch after work yesterday and they have revamped their beer section with quite a few I haven't tried before including another Brewdog (Hop Fiction? ). On a more pleasing note, to make way for the new range they had a table full of reduced beers which I took full advantage of. Some beers for as little as 40p :-)

40p a bottle - shocking, irresponsible marketing. I'm outraged. Do you think they'll have any left?

40p a bottle - shocking, irresponsible marketing. I'm outraged. Do you think they'll have any left?

To be honest I was also a bit outraged so being the good, responsible citizen that I am I promptly cleared the shelves before any weak willed person was tempted by those ridiculously low prices. Things like this do nothing to promote responsible drinking.

I'm on my 5th can of the evening right now :-)

Just had the last bottle of Kona Big Wave in Bierkeller in Liverpool. Really light and refreshing on such a sunny day.

Are you still in Liverpool ? Get yourself along to the Ship and Mitre, best pub in town.

• 2 weeks later...