The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Beer: 99 Red Baboons

Abv: 4.2%

Style: Porter/Mild

Aromas: fruity hops, brown sugar, sweet herbs

Taste: Woody smokiness, lingering bitter malts, roasted nuts

Overall: An peculiar one as the brewers themselves don't specify if it's a porter or a mild. As the bottle says, "You decide!". I'd say it's pretty rich for a mild but it doesn't have as much of the darker chocolate type malts that you'd associate with a porter.

7/10

707.jpg

Have this on tap at Behind the Wall in Falkirk at the moment, had 3 pints of it. Really liked it although they didn't quite have it cold enough for my liking. Huge aftertaste of liquorice when I got home.

Edited by Disco Duck

Beer: Cropton Brewery Blackout

Abv: 5%

Style:Porter

Aromas: Milky chocolate powder, creamy toffee cake.

Taste:A rich chocolate porter. Very easy and smooth, lots of caramel with a tidal-wave of vanilla. Sweet and yummy like black honey.

Overall: I really like this. It's enjoyable and not too heavy. It's a relaxing comfort drink, it gives a hug like a desert you weren't expecting. Very sweet, like a puppy on Christmas day.

Like a puppy on Christmas Day?

huh.gif

Beer: Wadworth Horizon

Abv: 4.0%

Style: Golden Ale

Aromas: Citrus and hops.

Taste: Nutty, citrus, slightly malty.

Overall: Wadworth are a very traditional brewer and their beers sometimes evoke the 1970's, but this is a very contemporary. It's pleasant tasting, light, well finished and has such a reasonable abv you could enjoy this all day. There isn't a lot going on here in all honesty though, and it's sort of a non-real ale drinkers real ale, if you like. It's fairly bland, and while there's nothing wrong with it, there's nothing too startling either. I'd have it again, but wouldn't seek it out. If you have a hankering for a golden, fresh, light coloured ale have a Brewdog Dead Pony Club instead.

6/10

post-4200-0-47303400-1348416107_thumb.jp

Beer: Elgood's Indian Summer

Abv: 4.8%

Style: Golden Ale/ESB

Aromas: Floral, citrus, sweet.

Taste: Creamy sweet, crisp, toffee-ish.

Overall: This is a pleasant summer beer with a sweet finish. Tastes its full 4.8% and has a crisp and light flavour initially, followed by an almost toffee-ish aftertaste. It's a pleasant golden summer beer, again not one I'd seek out again but it's drinkable and there's a note of fruit here and there. Much prefer it to the Wadworth last review, but I'm never drinking it regularly. In fairness, Elgood's do say it's a seasonal beer anyway (late summer). Overall a decent effort with a bit going on.

6.5/10

post-4200-0-80115200-1348418989_thumb.jp

Beer: Cairngorm Black Gold

Abv: 4.4%

Style: Stout

Aromas: Dark chocolate, cocoa beans, brown sugar, dark roast, coffee, treacle

Taste: Sweet, creamy (and uncommonly good :lol:), hint of smoke, dark roasted chocolate malt, light bitterness.

Overall: Good quality Scottish stout. Quite a sweet one. Left this out in the garden for an hour or so to cool it but I think that even if I'd just put it in the kitchen cupboard for a bit there would have been even more of the flavours. Would say this is a good one for someone unfamiliar with stout as it's pretty tasty and there's not a lot of bitterness.

7.5/10

067424.jpg

Pretty much agree with your review. I didn't think it was particularly creamy though. Would give it a 7/10. It's definitely one that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling on completion. :thumsup2 Recommended

Like a puppy on Christmas Day?

huh.gif

Try to imagine this. Your girlfriend/missus/partner has been banging on for months about getting a dog. You decide to present her with one on Christmas day (one of those little andrex ones off the tv ads). Upon seeing the puppy she turns to you & says.. 'Awwww that's soooooo sweet'. 

It's a metaphor. 

I was also half-cut at the time. 

Try to imagine this. Your girlfriend/missus/partner has been banging on for months about getting a dog. You decide to present her with one on Christmas day (one of those little andrex ones off the tv ads). Upon seeing the puppy she turns to you & says.. 'Awwww that's soooooo sweet'. 

It's a metaphor. 

I was also half-cut at the time. 

:lol:

Good explanation mate!

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Belhaven Black.

I have plagiarised this review as I agreed with it. However unlike the initial reviewer I would return to it. I like most of what Belhaven does.

A standard stout aroma with some roasted malts and a background chocolate aroma. There is some coffee too.

Black with a light brown colour with quite good retention.

Malts upfront and some roasted barely along with a bit off coffee and some bitterness as well. There is a sort of smoky wood taste too but its pretty basic.

Wet and smooth tasting but also quite light for a stout, probably light-medium overall and touches of bitterness right at the end.

I prefered it to Cairngorm's Black Gold stout. I'd give it 7.5 out of ten.

Edited by madmitch

Beer: Fyne Ales Maverick

Style: Bitter

Aromas: Faint hint of citrus, yeast, tangy & fruity hops, blackcurrants, caramel

Taste: Moderate bitterness, some toffee, slight roast malts, liquorice

Overall: Not really a lot going on with this one. Inoffensive but a bit bland. Only real point of interest would be the fruity hops.

6.5/10

Beer: Fyne Ales Highlander

Style: ESB

Aromas: Prominent citrus, toffee malts, pretty sweet

Taste: Refreshing citrus, slight sourness, bready maltiness

Overall: Nothing truly special but nice enough and better than Maverick. Light and very drinkable. Probably a good session beer.

7/10

post-22047-0-64885700-1348527370_thumb.j

post-22047-0-57306800-1348527396_thumb.j

Beer: Fyne Ales Maverick

Aromas: Faint hint of citrus, yeast, tangy & fruity hops, blackcurrants, caramel

Taste: Moderate bitterness, some toffee, slight roast malts, liquorice

Overall: Not really a lot going on with this one. Inoffensive but a bit bland. Only real point of interest would be the fruity hops.

6.5/10

Beer: Fyne Ales Highlander

Style: ESB

Aromas: Prominent citrus, toffee malts, pretty sweet

Taste: Refreshing citrus, slight sourness, bready maltiness

Overall: Nothing truly special but nice enough and better than Maverick. Light and very drinkable. Probably a good session beer.

7/10

I like Fyne Ales Highlander a lot, never tried Maverick. Their 'Vital Spark' is superb, one of my favourite beers.

Last night I had:

Beer: Ringwood 'Old Thumper'

ABV: 5.6%

Notes: Excellent, full flavoured bitter. Won CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain in 1988. As the tag line says, "A Beast of a Beer"

8.5/10

Edited by Cammy35

I like Fyne Ales Highlander a lot, never tried Maverick. Their 'Vital Spark' is superb, one of my favourite beers.

Vital Spark is quality. Oddly enough I bought them right from the brewery shop as was out that way on a motorbike run on Sunday then went down to Inveraray to see the Vital Spark itself :lol:

Beer: Cropton Brewery 'Scoresby Stout'

Style: Stout

Aromas: Smokey roasted malt, tobacco and faint coffee. 

Taste: Creamy head, smokey malt & barley, no bitter aftertaste, ever so slightly carbonated cola-coffee fizz. 

Overall: Very enjoyable stout. Good for a session with no baggage or alcohol aftertaste. Just a warm smokey roasted fizz on the tongue. 

8/10

RMnRo.jpg

Beer: Brains Willy Nilly

Style: Ruby Ale

Aromas: Toffee malts, sweet fruits, almost a hint of a whisky cask aroma, candy floss!

Taste: Rich and malty, caramel, some fruits

Overall: Good stuff this. Rich but not overpowering and very smooth. I believe this is only available until 3rd October (only in Sainsburys) and I'd advise folk to give it a go. I'm certainly going back for more! Tasty stuff. Intrigued to try more from Brains as have heard lots of good things about them.

8/10

post-22047-0-64237900-1348612240_thumb.j

" I am a CIdddeerrr Drinker, I drinks it all of the dayyyyy." I do love Cider, favourite right now is Rekorderlig Summer fruits or Thatchers Katy. Got myself a bottle of Brothers Strawberry last night so going to try that soon.

I want to try Green Goblin, purely for the name :ph34r:.

Beer: Brains Willy Nilly

Style: Ruby Ale

Aromas: Toffee malts, sweet fruits, almost a hint of a whisky cask aroma, candy floss!

Taste: Rich and malty, caramel, some fruits

Overall: Good stuff this. Rich but not overpowering and very smooth. I believe this is only available until 3rd October (only in Sainsburys) and I'd advise folk to give it a go. I'm certainly going back for more! Tasty stuff. Intrigued to try more from Brains as have heard lots of good things about them.

8/10

Is a cutting board the preferred garnish, like lime in your Mexican lager?

1 each of the following - Manchester star, cairngorm white lady, and willy nilly all purchased tonight from sainsburys, along with 3 bottles of rum finish innis and gunn from tesco. I predict a messy Saturday night....