The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Quite fancy doing the beer tasting thing aswell where an "expert" teaches you more about the different style and types of hop etc.

Yeah, it's a fiver which seems to be to be excellent value. The wife and I go to wine tastings occasionally and I have to say it does help with your enjoyment of the drink to know more about the process.

If you can find it, Doombar, a Cornish bitter, is outstanding.

Was searching this thread to see if already mentioned. I really like it but Sharp's has been taken over by Molson Coor's.

I try to avoid anything that has been bought out by a global brand (Cadbury's chocolate for example), so no more Doom Bar for me.:(

Having said that, other opinions do exist

http://blogs.indepen...ood-for-sharps/

eta Last time I was in Tennents, Byres Rd, I drank EPA. (English pale ale) and it was low in alcohol but strong in taste. Good session beer brewed by Marston's who , unfortunately , have taken over several regional breweries in Englandshire. It seems small is not beautiful (or profitable)

Edited by cyderspaceman

Has anyone tried Kelburn's 'Carte Blanche'?

I tried it once out of a bottle and thought it was rank. I couldn't believe how bad it was having tasted their more than decent 'Misty Law'. I have been wondering ever since whether it was a bad batch I tried or whether its always like that.

Had a few pints of this pre- and post-match last season in a wee pub in Coatbridge - raved about it to all who'd listen. Wonderfully smooth and no ill-effects whatsoever after a sizeable session. I haven't seen it again since, so shall now visit Tesco.

It's a lovely pint. Lucky in Perth that every pub just about has an inveralmond cask or bottles of some description. Which conversely means I tend to go for something different if there is an option...

Beer: Ridgeway Brewing Co. - Ivanhoe (no website available)

Abv: 5.2%

Style: English Pale Ale/ESB

Aromas: Fresh and light, hoppy.

Taste: Quite sweet, aromatic but subtle. Little notes of fruit.

Overall: This is a subtle beer, there's no dominant flavour. Has a sweet aftertaste and a light bitterness that sits well on the tongue. First taste is okay but not special, however it's moreish and the further down the bottle you get the more it slips down easily. Malty enough to be robust but very drinkable - another I'd describe as sessionable if not for the fairly high abv. I like this and would enjoy it again.

6.5/10

post-4200-0-98954400-1348167800_thumb.jp

A question for those based in the US.

When we go for our annual golf trip to South Carolina we stock the fridge with Yuengling (bottles obviously - bottles always beat cans) and would always order it draught or bottled over any of the usual suspect US lagers as it has a lot more taste.

How available is it across the US and how is it viewed compared to the Bud/Coors/Millers etc?

Beer: Sambrooks Pumphouse Pale Ale

Abv: 4.2%

Style: Pale Ale

Aromas: light and fresh, almost lager like.

Taste: Tangy and zesty, citrus fruit and hoppy.

Overall: This is a great beer for a sunny day in a beer garden. Super golden colour and adorable tangy taste. I'd happily quaff this on a Saturday afternoon watching Jeff Stelling in a summer city pub. This is almost good enough to be a lunchtime accompaniment to your Friday curry. I recommend this if you like your light coloured and fragrant tastes. This is on the shortlist of twenty for the two ales that Sainsbury's will stock nationwide on a permanent basis, and it's got to have a decent shout, which is a real compliment considering Sambrooks are not a big brewery (so much so that I couldn't find a picture of the bottle online so I had to make do with the pump tab). I like this a lot.

7.5/10

post-4200-0-05444600-1348179652_thumb.jp

Beer: Arran Dark

Abv: 4.3

Style: Dark Ale

Aromas: Faint barley, dark fruits, light spice, some faint peat, not a lot on the nose really.

Taste: Roasted malt, a hint of spice which is oddly reminiscent of the Clootie Dumping stuff from Orkney I recently had but a lot fainter, toffee malts

Overall: Was expecting this to be more of a porter/stout and was surprised when it poured a dark amber. Inoffensive and goes down easy but not a lot to it. I've heard a few folk say this is the best of the Arran range. I was a bit underwhelmed really.

6.5/10

arr1.JPG

Has anyone tried Kelburn's 'Carte Blanche'?

I tried it once out of a bottle and thought it was rank. I couldn't believe how bad it was having tasted their more than decent 'Misty Law'. I have been wondering ever since whether it was a bad batch I tried or whether its always like that.

Reckon you just had a bad batch.

The local has that on draught fairly often and I've always found it a decent if unpectacular pint.

Whisper it but Wetherspoons pubs in and around Glasgow tend to serve a good pint of the various Kelburn beers too.

Edited by wearealldoomed

I've been foraging around after work today and found a selection of dark & light ales to keep me content tonight. 

Franklins Brewing Co- Conqueror (dark rich ale)5.1%

Acorn Brewery-Gorlovka (imperial stout)6%

Cropton Brewery Blackout(porter)5%

Box Steam Brewery-Dark & Handsome(old ale)5%

Also got 3 from Barnsley Beer Company;

Bee by Gum(blonde ale)4.3%

Clog Iron(dark mild ale)4.3%

Ronnie's Owd Cock(pale ale)4%

I will test a few and report back with any that I recommend worth trying. 

Beer: Cropton Brewery Blackout 

Abv: 5%

Style:Porter

Aromas: Milky chocolate powder, creamy toffee cake. 

Taste:A rich chocolate porter. Very easy and smooth, lots of caramel with a tidal-wave of vanilla. Sweet and yummy like black honey. 

Overall: I really like this. It's enjoyable and not too heavy. It's a relaxing comfort drink, it gives a hug like a desert you weren't expecting. Very sweet, like a puppy on Christmas day. 

8/10

OHQa1.jpg

Beer: Broughton Old Jock Ale

Abv: 6.7%

Style: Wee Heavy

Aromas: Initially smells quite boozy, almost a hint of a tangy white wine aroma, tangy fruit, faint hops, raisins

Taste: quite sweet, caramel maltiness, hops are quite faint but still give a bit of kick, roasted malt barley

Overall: Strong flavours but surprisingly light and drinkable considering the abv. If anyone has had McEwans Champion, this isn't a million miles away but is probably the more drinkable beer.

7/10

OJ_JPG.jpg

Tasted this years ago and noticed the label'changed . I'm sure it used to be a shepherd with his dog .

Beer: Williams Bros Roisin

Style: Fruit beer

Aromas: Rasberry, malt, slight citrus, yeasty

Taste: Quite tangy, sweet raspberry, slight hoppy kick

Overall: Not really a fan of fruit beers as most of the ones I've tried were just too sweet and were essentially a pish beer covered up by overly sweet fruit juice. This is nicer as the actual beer is relatively decent and combines well with the Tayberry juice. Still not something I'd drink often as it's not really my type of thing but nice as something different.

6.5/10

beer_59052.jpg

Beer: Tryst - Drovers 80/-

Abv: 4%

Style: Heavy

Aromas: Oats, dark spice, rich maltiness

Taste: Quite nutty, nice grainy malt flavours, not a lot of bitterness, mild hops, slight caramel

Overall: Old fashioned beer. Quite a mild one but very smooth and drinkable and reckon it would be a nice session beer if found on tap anywhere. As with my previous Tryst beer this is also bottle conditioned.

7/10

post-22047-0-09449800-1348265758_thumb.j

Beer: Ayr Brewing Co. Rabbie's Porte

Abv: 4.3%

Style: Porter

Aromas: malt and chocolate

Taste: Little sweet notes, bitter chocolate taste

Overall: This is a delicious porter! I can honestly say it's one of the best I've had for a while. The aroma gives away the chocolate, but when you taste it, the chocolate is bitter, so it doesn't come in until after the initial porter taste of malt. It's really lovely, and tastes lighter than 4.3%. Usually you'd want a porter to be a satisfying winter beer, but this is a pub beer, a beer you can drink hard all day with your mates. The first thing I got when I poured it was the scent of the old man's pub, the spit 'n' sawdust, the ancient yellowing telly with the races on, the auld guys with the whisky noses counting out change for their hauf and haufs. Rabbie would have loved this - braw!

7.5/10

post-4200-0-48850200-1348326290_thumb.jp

Beer: Ayr Brewing Co. Jolly Beggars

Style: Best Bitter

Aromas: Immediate citrus overtones, slight sweetness

Taste: Zingy citrus with a sweet-ish aftertaste

Overall: This is lovely for bitter fans. A light red/amber colour belies the smoothness and the cheeky citrus hint. The brewer hasn't made that mistake a lot of brewers do with bitter, in that they haven't gone for anything more than the very essence of what it should be - a drinkable, fresh bitter. The freshness is from the citrus hint, the smoothness makes it very quaffable. It cheers me greatly drinking this. I'm happy. :)

7/10

post-4200-0-65283300-1348329303_thumb.pn