The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

I had this tonight; not my cup of tea but imagine they'd be some here that like it.

It really does have a really long smoky peaty finish to the point of being quite unique. A bit "TCP" for me but they'll be some that love it. Currently in aldi.

20180115_201639.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump. 

I spent last weekend at Fynefest for the first time - what a fucking setup all round. Plenty of tasty beers and cider, delicious and genuinely good value food stalls - about 90% of my food intake was Loch Fyne seafood - and the music was varied and quite enjoyable as well. Even the weather dried up for Saturday and Sunday after the main arena got turned into a swamp from Friday's pishing rain. Fyne Ales themselves had twenty different types available, including a märzen festival beer and even a sour mojito beer which was actually really good after the shock of the first taste. The one issue I found was that it took a long time for the first set of beers on the Friday to clear - most of the taps remained the same well into the Saturday afternoon. There was still plenty of variety there but I don't think that they managed to put up all the beers listed in the program by the end of the event on Sunday evening. I could not recommend it highly enough though; a much better all-round festival than watching some bands in a field and paying £5 a pop for a shite pint of Tuborg for the privilege. 

Top three beers sampled at the festival for me were:

1) BA Louring Skies (71 Brewing/Fyne Ales) - A rum and bourbon-aged sweet imperial oatmeal stout. Quite probably the most magnificent stout I've had and ridiculously drinkable for 8.2%.

2) Kentucky Bourbon Black Angus (Left Handed Giant)- Bourbon-aged smoked imperial stout. Also  delicious but there was a distinct kick from the alcohol (9.1%) with this one.

3) Velvet Suit (MC 77) - A New England IPA (6.5%) from an Italian craft brewery, surprisingly good given my prejudice against any sort of beer from Italy (wine country). 

5cfbec3aba6f9_IMG_16861.thumb.JPG.de4d2dfd237bc009dea77ef48781c7b9.JPG

5cfbec9bcbb6c_IMG_17011.thumb.JPG.c61297f999a3ee3eb5fb158c2006bf40.JPG

Edited by vikingTON

Bump. 
I spent last weekend at Fynefest for the first time - what a fucking setup all round. Plenty of tasty beers and cider, delicious and genuinely good value food stalls - about 90% of my food intake was Loch Fyne seafood - and the music was varied and quite enjoyable as well. Even the weather dried up for Saturday and Sunday after the main arena got turned into a swamp from Friday's pishing rain. Fyne Ales themselves had twenty different types available, including a märzen festival beer and even a sour mojito beer which was actually really good after the shock of the first taste. The one issue I found was that it took a long time for the first set of beers on the Friday to clear - most of the taps remained the same well into the Saturday afternoon. There was still plenty of variety there but I don't think that they managed to put up all the beers listed in the program by the end of the event on Sunday evening. I could not recommend it highly enough though; a much better all-round festival than watching some bands in a field and paying £5 a pop for a shite pint of Tuborg for the privilege. 
1) BA Louring Skies (71 Brewing/Fyne Ales) - A rum and bourbon-aged sweet imperial oatmeal stout. Quite probably the most magnificent stout I've had and ridiculously drinkable for 8.2%.
2) Kentucky Bourbon Black Angus (Left Handed Giant)- Bourbon-aged smoked imperial stout. Also  delicious but there was a distinct kick from the alcohol (9.1%) with this one.
3) Velvet Suit (MC 77) - A New England IPA (6.5%) from an Italian craft brewery, surprisingly good given my prejudice against any sort of beer from Italy (wine country). 
Sounds decent. What were the prices like??

Sounds decent. What were the prices like??

£1.90 for a beer token which was worth a varied amount based on the beer. Most Fyne Ales and session beers were one token for a half pint, stronger or more unusual beers were often one token for a third or two tokens for a half pint.

As you’re not generally buying pints of any beer (and the higher token beers are often twice the strength anyway) it’s not too bad at all. A mix of top shelf and session beers is probably the best course for a full day. I spent around £120 on food and drink over three days, which was a fair bit less than I had expected and left me with plenty to spend in the brewery shop.

The campsite is obviously a BYOD zone but there are literally no checks between it and the festival area so you can bring a can or two into there as well - or as I preferred, a hip flask for some proper half and half’s.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

Bump. 

Absolutely second that this is/was a smashing weekend. Our first time there too and definitely will be going back. 

I was not impressed by the mojito beer  mentioned but there were a lot of very good flavoired and fruit beers available, my favourite of those was probably a blackcurrant and hibiscus pale ale from Affinity brewing. Other than that I think my favourite of the weekend was New Best Friend from LHG, very easy drinking IPA at almost 7%, although Fyne Ales' 2 new ones Easy Trail and Workbench also rated very highly.

Not technically a beer but thought it related enough to be worth a mention. It's an Eastern European (this is a Latvian Kvass) fermented beverage made from rye bread.

Difficult to really compare to anything but the closest in beer terms would possibly be a really light stout or a mild with a load of dark fruits. 

It's not really "brewed" long enough for any notable alcohol content (it's classed as a soft drink) and I believe you can actually make it yourself over just a few days. Load of B vitamins in it so technically good for you.

Quite nice as something different.

IMG_20190611_184423_264.JPG

IMG_20190611_173739_121.JPG