Lance Armstrong is he...

THE KING

jones was involved in some sort of fraud case as well which complicates matters a bit.

however we'll just say it's because she's black and he's white and friends with george w bush. the novitzky federal investigation was made to disapear, i don't think lance's friends in high places will let him go to jail.

Also, Novitzky's as crooked as they come.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what are you basing this on?

The Bonds trial, which collapsed essentially because of his actions.

There was a lengthy piece in Playboy, of all places, a few years back, but the links all seem to be dead.

Here's a Huffington Post analysis.

Novitsky

The Bonds trial, which collapsed essentially because of his actions.

There was a lengthy piece in Playboy, of all places, a few years back, but the links all seem to be dead.

Here's a Huffington Post analysis.

Novitsky

there isn't much in that and certainly not enough to label him 'corrupt as they come'.

he maybe a bit of a grandstander but he brought down balco, had a big hand in completely changing the culture of major league baseball and his grand jury investigation into armstrong blew one of the biggest conspiracy's to cheat and defraud in sporting history wide open.

the man is a hero in my book and sport in general would be a lot healthier if there were jeff novitzkys looking into tennis, football, jamaican sprinters, rugby and rest of the chemically enhanced heroes who have yet to have their bubble burst.

Absolutely, I've no doubt that plenty of people said they regretted it when they enthusiastically embraced it at the time. I'm sure some were conflicted though.

It's funny, these guys make me have some sort of grudging respect for Ricco, at least he didn't give two fucks about anybody or anything, and hardly tried to cover his tracks, absolute nutjob mind :lol:

there isn't much in that and certainly not enough to label him 'corrupt as they come'.

he maybe a bit of a grandstander but he brought down balco, had a big hand in completely changing the culture of major league baseball and his grand jury investigation into armstrong blew one of the biggest conspiracy's to cheat and defraud in sporting history wide open.

the man is a hero in my book and sport in general would be a lot healthier if there were jeff novitzkys looking into tennis, football, jamaican sprinters, rugby and rest of the chemically enhanced heroes who have yet to have their bubble burst.

He did nothing of the sort, as that guy who owned it has simply rebranded and moved on to boxing.

Like I say, there's a lengthy Playboy piece elsewhere which charts his career, culminating in the Bonds trial collapsing, the Clemens trial collapsing (with references to his nefarious practices being made in both trials, I believe) and millions of dollars of the public purse being wasted.

That being said, I don't remotely share your views of drugs in sport being the worst crime since Nuremberg.

By the way, Novitzky could have looked into those sports as well, certainly tennis, but chose not to. He had certain targets, Barry Bonds, basically, for some reason and chose to neglect others in order to get to Bonds. Which he spectacularly failed to do.

It's funny, these guys make me have some sort of grudging respect for Ricco, at least he didn't give two fucks about anybody or anything, and hardly tried to cover his tracks, absolute nutjob mind :lol:

He was the guy who just about died giving himself a blood transfusion in his hotel room?

Regreting doping is so mainstream...

i'm guessing that playboy piece was written by one of the strange american journalists who believe that stopping athletes from taking PEDs is unconstitutional.

they did shut down balco, the company no longer exists and it's clients were either prosecuted or publicly shamed. victor conte is still involved in sport but it's hard to tell what he's up to these days, he's an interesting read on twitter anyway. conte has spoken about how his motivation was too see how far he could go in sport, marion jones won 5 medals on the track in 2000. tim montgomery broke the 100m records. novitzky exposed both of them as drug cheats, surely that is a good thing?

i don't think taking PEDs is a henious crime but i have no time for athletes who secretly take drugs yet profit from presenting a false image to the public like jones and armstrong. i quite enjoyed barry bonds breaking the home record, it was completely honest and open. we all knew exactly where we stood and it was one of the rare occasions where a great sporting performance wasn't given a false moral significance.

i don't see how novitsky could look into tennis. it's an international sport, novitsky has been able to investigate and prosecute the people he has because they broke various american laws. i don't see any virtue in the perjury cases of bonds, clemens and greg anderson but that is more about not allowing high profile people to get away with telling lies in court which is a principle most countries follow (see tommy sheridan, jeffrey archer)

David Walsh has tweeted that Oprah's producers have contacted him, Kathy LeMond and Betsy Andreu about what questions they should ask Lance.

I assume if they've spoken to Kathy LeMond they'll speak to Greg LeMond? :unsure:

David Walsh has an open letter in the Sunday Times listing ten questions for Lance:

1. Did you tell doctors at the Indiana University Hospital on October 27, 1996 that you had taken EPO, human growth hormone, cortisone, steroids and testosterone?

2. After returning from cancer, how did you justify putting banned drugs in your body?

3. Do you regret how you treated Betsy Andreu, your former masseuse Emma O'Reilly and Greg LeMond?

4. Do you admit that your friend Dr Michele Ferrari fully supported your team's doping?

5. Is it your intention to return the prize money you earned from September 1998 to July 2010?

6. Did you sue The Sunday Times to shut us up?

7. Was your failure to understand Floyd Landis the key to your downfall?

8. Do you accept lying to the cancer community was the greatest deception of all?

9. Why have you chosen Oprah Winfrey for your first interview as a banned athlete?

10. Why have you chosen Oprah Winfrey for your first interview as a banned athlete?

Dunno why nine and ten are the same but some good questions in there.

I've done a bit of reading around the case - in terms of perjury is there not an issue with the statute of limitations, meaning that he might not be able to be prosecuted. He could still lose the money from the SCA case, including costs and interest that will be a load of cash.

AP have reported Lance has spoken to a meeting of Livestrong employees and apologised for doping.

Also, USA Today have reported that Armstrong is trying to reconcile with Floyd Landis - Link

Aye apparently he "choked up" as he was apologising. Bless.

lance-armstrong-crying-sponsors.jpg

The saddest thing in all this is that guy that beat cancer and won the tour de france, which gave a lot of sick people a bit of hope is now based on lies and all people will ever bring up is the drugs.

Well no: he still beat fucking cancer and returned to professional cycling. Just because he won the Tour de France on some form of drug does not denigrate the former achievement: recovery to full health and sporting activity.

That Armstrong is a cheat and a sporting fraud is almost certainly irrelevant to anyone studying his recovery. Reckon they'd have their priorities right tbh.

Lance ready to testify

Acknowledging his doping past has cleared the way for Armstrong to take the next step in trying to mitigate his lifetime ban from Olympic sports. He is planning to testify against several powerful people in the sport of cycling who knew about his doping and possibly facilitated it, said several people with knowledge of the situation.

Armstrong, 41, is planning to testify against officials from the International Cycling Union, the worldwide governing body of cycling, about their involvement with doping in cycling, but he will not testify against other riders, according to the people familiar with his plans.

He is also in discussions with the United States Department of Justice to possibly testify in a federal whistle-blower case. That case involves the cycling team sponsored by the United States Postal Service, and Armstrong would testify against several of the team’s owners, including the investment banker Thom Weisel, and other officials, one person close to the situation said. That person did not want his name published because the case is still open.

Archived