The Alan Partridge Thread

Swampy

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Watched this for the first time tonight. I'm not sure if i've been whooshed by recent comments but is this actually meant to be comedy?

Comedy is subjective isn't it. I find this program funny. 

Other people find mrs browns boys funny. 

Other people though borat 2 was funny. 

None of them are as funny as the you've been framed where the toddler dressed as spiderman leathers his dad right in the baws. But i daresay some people would find that unamusing too. 

I was about three paragraphs into why I thought this was the weakest episode in two series of This Time but I started contradicting myself and then remembering other bits I laughed out loud at, so I'm going to watch it again before suggesting something so controversial. I guess in summary, I found the last five minutes laugh-free and none of the Princess Anne stuff really landed for me except Simon asking him why he was speaking Shakespearian.

Yeah the first 20 minutes were superb but the Princess Anne stuff and then Alan going a bit mental at the end were shite.

Sidekick Simon doing the impressions of folk as Alan said their names was brilliant.

The price of tickets for his show at the Hydro are a bit on the steep side are they not? £45 for the cheapest, going up to £140 odd for the floor seats :lol: 

Im as big a Partridge fan as you will get and I will definitely be going, but he’s hardly likely to sell out a 12000 seater arena. I meet more people that think he’s as funny as a boot in the balls than I do people who find him hysterical, like me.

My thinking is that I will buy the cheap tickets in the upper tier, and when it doesn’t sell out The Hydro will close the top tier off and move people with those tickets into the lower tier, as has happened to me before at a couple of Josh Taylor’s fights. I don’t grudge giving him the money as I know it’s something I will thoroughly enjoy, but to command three figure ticket prices when supply will vastly outweigh demand seems optimistic. 

Fired through both series of I'm Alan Partridge in the last few days before Netflix removes it along with The Office.  Still stands up some 20-25 years later IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/07/2021 at 21:42, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Weird question I know but have they retconned the Partridge biography at one point? If the foot on the spike incident was Alan at nearly 50 he'd be pushing 70 by now, and seems more like he's late 50s/early 60s

The advantage of playing a character who's older than the actor. See also Still Game / Alf Garnett. 

When Alan first appeared on the radio he was aged around 40, so that indeed would make him 70ish today.

Edited by Lurkst

On 18/07/2021 at 11:12, Lurkst said:

The advantage of playing a character who's older than the actor. See also Still Game / Alf Garnett. 

When Alan first appeared on the radio he was aged around 40, so that indeed would make him 70ish today.

Yeah true. Also I think AP only really works as long as he's a middle aged so probably the best thing to do. 

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

66 I reckon, in IAP series 2 in 2002 he mentioned he was 47.

I think they've lopped a good bit off at some point as I'm sure in one of Nomad or Oasthouse he mentions being nearly 60, not that it matters much. Again a good thing about Partridge at this stage is that they can muddle it up and it doesn't really matter because he could just be lying to make himself seem younger. It's like how a few jokes have been repeated in the recent material, it's still funny because Alan would definitely do that. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

• 1 month later...

I’ve not watched ‘This Time’ for a few months, but I was caught off guard yesterday when I remembered Alan’s face after one of the guests said ‘put fuel in a turbocharger’. I genuinely laughed out loud just thinking about it. This Time is very funny, as much as I love I’m Alan Partridge, MMM and KYKM, This Time has so many highlights I think it’s got to go down as his best work. Tim Key plays his part in that as well, his scenes never fail to make me laugh. 

There’s a line in one of his books, possibly ‘I, Partridge’, that I can’t remember any of the context to, but regularly catch myself chuckling away at. It simply reads ‘he managed to mix a warm, friendly handshake, with a genuine mental illness’. I don’t know why I find that so hysterically funny, but I do. 

Edited by IrishBhoy