The Alan Partridge Thread

Swampy

Loved this week's. The little sad head nod from Cheeky Monkey was worth a million terrible BBC sitcoms and it wasn't even the best bit (the list of the best prisoners).

"All washed down with piping hot coffee, and my tablets" 😂

Feel like they might be building toward him being outcast from the Mr and Mrs of BBC1 again.

The woman who contradicts everything Alan says is getting a bit tiresome now but they did tweak it slightly this week. 

Oh...big belly laugh at "within days the guards had become sadistic and cruel, the prisoners servile and weak, a power dynamic familiar to anyone who's stayed with their wives parents and Christmas"...and proper cracked up at him explaining the old ITV regional franchising system to the prisoners. That whole bit was great, the unbroadcast show "Loose Screws" and "the lighting is terrible, again no dimmer switches, like my assistants lounge"

Also the stuff about mental health they're subtly weaving in is an interesting direction

‘My only friend was a ping pong ball, who I’d named ‘ball pong ping.’ 

Was absolutely pishing myself at that, along with the ‘ITV’ speech to the juveniles.

It’s funny how people’s sense of humour can differ so wildly, I watched that second episode with my sister and she just couldn’t fathom what exactly was supposed to be funny. She was actually getting annoyed at me because she thought I was just laughing at nothing to try and make her look like she didn’t get the joke. Maybe it’s just targeted at a certain humour but I could go back and rewatch anything with Partridge in it, no matter how many times I had seen it before, and still be laughing out loud. 

That reminded me of watching This Morning in the 90s, when they did vodka tasting and Judy Finnegan ended up laughing like a maniac and telling an irrelevant anecdote about the kids thinking they'd seen the Loch Ness Monster. 

I think this has really found its feet this series. Last series felt disjointed but last night was great. 

That was tremendous last night. My wife hadn't watched it before and thought it was hilarious.

Did Alan slip just at the end of one of the shots in the SAS stuff?

Friday nights episode was absolute class. So many subtle jokes that get missed on the first viewing, it’s just so well written and performed. 

Anyone else think Partridges more recent stuff from the Gibbon brothers is some of his best work? I love ‘I’m Alan Partridge’ and ‘KMKY’, and will never tire of watching them. But I love how the Gibbons have managed to take the character from that era, and through ‘Mid Morning Matters’ and ‘This Time...’, place him into the modern world and still have it feeling like a natural progression of Partridges career. 

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Did Alan slip just at the end of one of the shots in the SAS stuff?

Definitely :lol: must have been on the screen for a tenth of a second. 

Alan’s overly long walk from the couch to Sidekick Simons TV screen always has me laughing away too. 

The woman who appeared in Fridays episode making the cocktails is the same woman from one of my favourite Mid Morning Matters moments, when she joins him on his radio show for a wine tasting...‘This wine tastes of Chewits’ 

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Friday nights episode was absolute class. So many subtle jokes that get missed on the first viewing, it’s just so well written and performed. 

Anyone else think Partridges more recent stuff from the Gibbon brothers is some of his best work? I love ‘I’m Alan Partridge’ and ‘KMKY’, and will never tire of watching them. But I love how the Gibbons have managed to take the character from that era, and through ‘Mid Morning Matters’ and ‘This Time...’, place him into the modern world and still have it feeling like a natural progression of Partridges career. 

Partridge has always had great writers behind him but I’d have to agree that the Gibbons brothers have managed to pick up that legacy and expand on it, taking it in new, interesting directions while still being true to the character’s history.

In addition to This Time and MMM, consider the books, and particularly the audiobooks, of I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan, and Nomad, both of which are comedy perfection. They know what they’re doing, likes.