Ched Evans

philpy

The only CCTV I've seen showed her walking fairly steadily into the hotel with the other footballer, leaving briefly on her own and returning with a pizza. The hotel porter said she looked a bit pissed, but he also said he heard her voice in the room and she sounded happily "consenting" after Ched arrived. Don't know why he was listening at the door. :wacko: She said she hadn't drunk more than her usual, and that she must have been spiked. There was no evidence of her being spiked, and the prosecution didn't raise it. Next day she wakes up and can't remember a thing. Who knows what was in the minds of the jury, but I haven't seen any evidence beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty. He might well have been, but I suspect he came over as an arrogant little shit to the jury and that was why they found him guilty. If he was innocent, I think she woke up alone in the hotel room and thought what a pair of utter bsatards leaving me here on my own and went apeshit.

Did you just make an excuse for him being convicted of rape?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you just make an excuse for him being convicted of rape?

No. I'm saying that I don't know how the Jury could find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt on the evidence available. He may well be guilty.

I'm not quite sure anybody is saying that he is,he is still a convicted sex offender though.

Perhaps, but I'm seeing people saying e.g. "Would you want your wife/daughter/sister to work alongside a rapist?". I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near a serial predator, but I would imagine Evans is unlikely to be a recurring threat.

No. I'm saying that I don't know how the Jury could find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt on the evidence available. He may well be guilty.

I'm of similar opinion. I really don't know how one can be convicted and not the other. The fact Evans arrived within minutes of McDonald and the girl, yet she wasn't deemed incapable of consent with McDonald but was with Evans!

I think the fact she "went off" with Mcdonald to the hotel differentiates it from our hero Ched turning up later and having a shot of some drunken girl who was unable to grant consent.

Although as has been said before you could imagine both verdicts going the other way. But they didn't and he's a convicted rapist I have zero sympathy for.

I think the fact she "went off" with Mcdonald to the hotel differentiates it from our hero Ched turning up later and having a shot of some drunken girl who was unable to grant consent.

Although as has been said before you could imagine both verdicts going the other way. But they didn't and he's a convicted rapist I have zero sympathy for.

I think it's the fact that one was convicted and the other wasn't that leaves people with a bit of doubt towards Evans conviction.

From all I have read on it, and even taking into consideration the way in which Evans turned up, I can't see how there can be a different verdict on both men. I'd probably side with both being guilty, if anything, but there is still a large amount of doubt for me.

When is his appeal likely to be heard?

Convicted rapist Ched Evans compared to Guildford Four and Birmingham Six by Irish PFA
Irish players' union questions Ched Evans' rape conviction and says Jessica Ennis-Hill should get off 'her high horse' for protesting against his Sheffield United return
By Matt Fleming

12:13AM GMT 18 Nov 2014

Ched Evans, the convicted rapist and former Sheffield United striker, has been defended by the Professional Footballers' Association of Ireland, which has said he could be innocent and even compared him with the miscarriages of justice suffered by the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six.

Stuart Gilhooly, the PFAI's solicitor, wrote an article on the union's website claiming that Evans deserves another chance, and that his crime was "at the bottom end" of the scale where rape is involved.

He also called into question the legal system that convicted Evans of the rape of a 19-year-old woman at a hotel, for which the player was sentenced to five years.

"The argument against [the idea that Evans might be innocent] is that a jury convicted him of the crime," Gilhooly said, before comparing him to the wrongful imprisonment of supposed Irish terrorists in the 1970s. "That’s right. And the same applied to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six. They got no public sympathy either.

"There is little point in trying to dissect the legal niceties of this very complex issue but suffice to say that Ched Evans has a very arguable case that he is the victim of a miscarriage of justice," Gilhooly continued.

"If having sex with a drunk woman is rape then thousands of men are guilty of rape every day. The simple point is that degrees of intoxication are a very difficult concept for young men to grapple with when they themselves have had plenty to drink."

On the day Housemartins singer Paul Heaton resigned his post as a patron at Sheffield United, Gilhooly hit out at Jessica Ennis-Hill among those who have taken a stand against the prospect of Evans returning to the club to resurrect his career. Olympic heptathlon champion Ennis-Hill said last week she may want her name taken down from the stand named in her honour at Bramall Lane should the disgraced forward be re-employed.

"From Jessica Ennis-Hill to [TV presenter] Charlie Webster and pretty much every media commentator who has waded into this mire, the horses most of these pundits have mounted are so high, they’ll need a parachute to get down," Gilhooly said. "When sanctimony takes over, there is rarely any real room for serious debate."

Perhaps a touch on the strong side but the last line nails it for me.

It was literally minutes after they turned up, that Ched arrived. That's why I find it unbelievable that she's in a position to consent with one and not the other.

Horrible stuff from the PFAI.

Some absolute nonsense in there as well s some good old fashioned victim smearing.

That's it tbh. There's been absolutely no rehabilitation here when the victim has been and is still being made to feel like they are the one to blame, by the convicted himself as well, no less.

If Evans had came out of his time in prison and gave a statement along the lines of 'I am deeply sorry for the hurt and pain to all parties involved, especially the girl who I was with that night. What has happened can never be undone. However, despite serving my sentence, I believe that I am innocent and will fight to clear my name' then I'd be more inclined to think that if his appeal is successful he should of course be allowed to resume his career as a footballer.

However, he has acted like a grade A c**t since his release and hasn't once made any attempt to show any sort of remorse or even apologise to the poor lassie for the whole ordeal, regardless of whether he feels he is innocent or not.

In summary, if his appeal is rejected no club in the land should touch him.

If his appeal is successful and his conviction is quashed, I'd still not sign him due to the fact he seems to be an utter w**k.

I really doubt that she went through with prosecuting a fairly well known footballer, having her character called into question, having her life threatened repeatedly to the point where she reportedly fled the country because she was a bit annoyed that they had left her. You've got to remember how incredibly difficult it is to get a conviction for rape. The odds are almost always against the victim yet despite that he was found guilty. I think that conclusively (or as close to conclusively as you can get) suggests that he is in fact guilty.

NO, the fact that he was found guilty means that he was guilty. God help us as a society if we try to second guess verdicts where juries have heard all the evidence and we have not.

Perhaps, but I'm seeing people saying e.g. "Would you want your wife/daughter/sister to work alongside a rapist?". I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near a serial predator, but I would imagine Evans is unlikely to be a recurring threat.

No probably not a recurring threat but certainly an untrustworthy sleazy cnut, You don't have to be a serial rapist to be a threat towards women or to be a worry for male relatives of women working alongside such an individual.

so you'd hire a convicted drug dealer?

and you ddint answer my question, for people like him should they just never be allowed to work again and us taxpayers have to fund them until they die?

what about luke mccormick and lee hughes, would you hire them?

Might well employ a convicted drug dealer; depends on circumstances.

I did answer your question, and you quoted where I answered it; read it again. I wouldn't employ him. Taxpayers fund plenty of people for life; it's the way the welfare state that we have works and I don't have a problem with paying my taxes to fund it.

No idea what the other two did.

also, if evans worked in the club shop and raped someone, would you even know he had done his time and was released from jail, not a chance, he'd slip quietly back into working life eventually, probably in a different area where people havent a fucking clue who he is

These things tend to surface even where you're not a well-known celebrity. You're asking loads of questions - how happy would you be if a convicted rapist worked beside your wife, sister or daughter.

So murderers should not be allowed back into much if anything? Redemption is impossible!

Is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2000/nov/09/tvandradio.television

Supras and Hampden diehard would have joined the redtops in their hounding of him.

I wouldn't hound him; I've simply given my opinion.

Archived