Ched Evans

philpy

This has gone exactly as I'd hoped it would.

As I said earlier, there shouldn't be any ban as such in an official capacity - it should be for each club to determine it's own conscience influenced by its support.

Pleased that so many SU fans/sponsors/patrons are making it quite clear they won't accept Evans at the club, or if he is to be there, they will walk away. Well done to those involved.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has gone exactly as I'd hoped it would.

As I said earlier, there shouldn't be any ban as such in an official capacity - it should be for each club to determine it's own conscience influenced by its support.

Pleased that so many SU fans/sponsors/patrons are making it quite clear they won't accept Evans at the club, or if he is to be there, they will walk away. Well done to those involved.

Patrons and sponsors, seen that, but fans?

Any links?

Matthew Syed wrote an excellent piece in today's Times,

At the heart of it was a quotation from Winston Churchill from1910.

The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the civilisation of any country. A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state and even of convicted criminals against the state, a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment, a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry of all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment, tireless efforts towards the discovery of curative and regenerating processes and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if only you can find it in the heart of every person – these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it.

But Ched Evans has never acknowledged the crime he has committed. He has also refused to recognise what he did was rape. Imagine people defending a man who described his rape of someone as "an act of infidelity".

It's incredibly difficult to convict someone of rape and he has been convicted. Twice. There's no doubt he's committed this crime and his only real defence is that he doesn't believe what he did was rape and that clearly suggests that he's in no way rehabilitated.

But Ched Evans has never acknowledged the crime he has committed. He has also refused to recognise what he did was rape. Imagine people defending a man who described his rape of someone as "an act of infidelity"

Why would he admit to a crime, which is being put forward to the criminal review commission with the aim of getting another appeal?

Isn't his argument basically that he thought she was up for it and therefore he didn't knowingly rape her?

AFAIK aye but it's been long established that she was definitely in no way able to give or could have given consent and so he went ahead and had sex with her without her agreeing to it. He's already acknowledged that he's had sex with her but he doesn't believe that is rape. So in what way is he rehabilitated if he continues to believe that what is clearly rape, isn't rape?

AFAIK aye but it's been long established that she was definitely in no way able to give or could have given consent and so he went ahead and had sex with her without her agreeing to it. He's already acknowledged that he's had sex with her but he doesn't believe that is rape. So in what way is he rehabilitated if he continues to believe that what is clearly rape, isn't rape?

When was it established that she "was definitely in no way able to give or could have given consent "?

The only CCTV I've seen showed her walking fairly steadily into the hotel with the other footballer, leaving briefly on her own and returning with a pizza. The hotel porter said she looked a bit pissed, but he also said he heard her voice in the room and she sounded happily "consenting" after Ched arrived. Don't know why he was listening at the door. :wacko: She said she hadn't drunk more than her usual, and that she must have been spiked. There was no evidence of her being spiked, and the prosecution didn't raise it. Next day she wakes up and can't remember a thing. Who knows what was in the minds of the jury, but I haven't seen any evidence beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty. He might well have been, but I suspect he came over as an arrogant little shit to the jury and that was why they found him guilty. If he was innocent, I think she woke up alone in the hotel room and thought what a pair of utter bsatards leaving me here on my own and went apeshit.

I really doubt that she went through with prosecuting a fairly well known footballer, having her character called into question, having her life threatened repeatedly to the point where she reportedly fled the country because she was a bit annoyed that they had left her. You've got to remember how incredibly difficult it is to get a conviction for rape. The odds are almost always against the victim yet despite that he was found guilty. I think that conclusively (or as close to conclusively as you can get) suggests that he is in fact guilty.

Archived