Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Reversal - Michael Connelly

I always enjoy Connelly, and this is no exception. It features both the Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller characters fairly equally which is unusual.

Definitely worth a read.

I was pretty disappointed with it actually...

I liked The Lincoln Lawyer, but thought this one was a bit poor. I'm hoping The Fifth Witness is better - just downloaded that.

Are the books you have listed in order of how to read them? I quite fancy taking a peek at them.

Yeah thats the order in which you should read them. There is a storyline running through all the books where the main character is trying to find his missing wife and sometimes there will be a reference back to another book so to avoid any spoilers I would read them in the above order.

At The Devils Table.

About the downfall of the Cali Cartel from an insiders viewpoint. The security chief of the cartel tells a journalist why he joined the cartel (to kill Pablo Escobar, using British commandos) and why he eventually turned to the DEA.

Good read and quite an eye opener to the depths of corruption in Columbia. Good companion piece to Killing Pablo.

Le Petit Prince de Belleville by Calixthe Beyala

It's a story written from the perspective of a ten year old boy with Malian parents growing up in early nineties Paris. His innocence is used to show many of the problems facing cultural integration within contemporary French society and, despite the book's age, it's very much still current. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

The Waste Lands - Stephen King

The third book in his Dark Tower series. It's an OK read. Certainly better than the second novel. Bit dissapointed with the lack of "the man in black" in the last two reads. I really wish that Stephen King would stop maiming his characters too. It makes it a frustrating read. At least for me. With most of his books there's also at least 30 pages of meaningless drivel which adds nothing to the story. I'll press on reading them till Roland reaches The Dark Tower though!

Got through 2 books in the last 4 days.

Theodore Boone - John Grisham

First John Grisham book I've read and it was pretty good, there's also another book in the "Theodore Boone" series apparently so I'll try and pick that up.

Engima - Robert Harris

After reading "Fatherland" earlier this year and really enjoying it I had high expectations about this one and I was right. Very good book! biggrin.gif

Edited by Sooky

• 1 month later...

the great gatsby by f. scott fitzgerald

one of the best, if not the best, book i have ever read. and probably the quickest i've ever gone through a book as well.

the picture of dorian gray - oscar wilde

i really enjoyed it, although i've heard others say that they found it to be a bit disappointing, but that's probably down to the whole faustian thing being done to death since the 1900s. some of the conversations between characters can be fascinating and i especially enjoyed some of henry wootton's views, although he can become a bit grating. there's one chapter in particular that drags a bit and the ending wasn't as good as i had hoped, but all-in-all it's worth a go.

Finished the Milennium triology now and thoroughly enjoyed it, although there were a few slight annoyances:

- Too much detail. I was close to slitting my wrists during the five page long section devoted to Salander buying furniture at Ikea.

- I don't believe that anyone in the entire world likes coffee and sandwiches that much, and I say that as a devoted fan of both coffee and sandwiches.

- The 'everyone is a sexist, racist bigot' stuff seems a bit heavy handed at times.

They were only minor annoyances, though, as I thoroughly enjoyed the books as a whole. Since Le Petit Prince, I've also read a book called Eat Smart Play Hard by Liz Applegate, PhD. Now, far be it from me to start contradicting someone who's evidently much more highly qualified than I am, but here goes: a lot of her advice is quite shit.

Currently reading a book called Blood on the Borders, which is a thriller type book about a sixteenth century doctor. It's alright. I'm only really reading it because my granny gave me it and I'll feel guilty if I don't, especially if she asks about it. :lol:

- I don't believe that anyone in the entire world likes coffee and sandwiches that much, and I say that as a devoted fan of both coffee and sandwiches.

I wanted an apple lattice/strudel thing the whole time I read those books.

One More Year - Sana Krasikov

Short stories of people from Ex-Sovet Union (mostly Russians, Georgians and Ukrainains) who have all ended up in the USA as immigrants set in modern day with one story about a Russian family who had lived in USA since 94 then moving back to modern Russia and the reverse culture shock and changes they see when they go back.

All the stories, I really enjoyed and well-writen. She's only about 33 too. So hopefully more books on the way soon!