Last Book You Read....

H_B

Fatherland by Robert Harris - what Germany would've been like if hitler had won - very good

I've been reading his Roman books about Cicero, both great. Quite fancy Fatherland, will have to give it a go.

The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean.

As suggested in the title it's a fairly broad look at the subject, and I was already aware of most of what's said there, but it did contain a few things that I didn't already know. It's written in language understandable to a layman whilst at the same time not being oversimplified. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone with an interest in the subject.

got through loads of books on holiday

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth - 1940's America as a Jew - excellent

a really good book. i didn't really like the ending but it's a brilliant account of childhood and family life.

*Battens down the hatches*

THe Thoughts of Chairman Moore by Brian Moore.

A collection of the sports pieces he did for the Telegraph.

Now, by any measure - at all - I should disagree with just about everything he writes. I don't - I agree with practically all of it.

He comes over as a thoroughly decent and compassionate man, with a bit of a brain going on as well. Sorry. :(

i always thought he was a cock socket and still do to some extent but i read a good interview with him by paul kimmage in the sunday times a while ago and i had a lot of sympathy for him due to his childhood issues and the pyschological issues he is still suffering from because of it.

Finished a few books on the Kindle recently...

Catch Your Death - Once again proving that popularity doesn't always relate to quality, this is one of the top sellers on Amazon for the Kindle. It's a decent enough wee thriller, but the characterisation is poor, the plot twists clichéd, and the ending is straight out of Hollywood. There's a nasty man about to unleash deadly viruses, wooooo, his henchman is a cold, ruthless, seemingly indestructible killer, wooooo, and the lead characters are so flawless, they could've been dreamed up by Enid Blyton. 4/10

The Hanging Shed - A cracking wee thriller set in Glasgow just after the war, about a guy returning from London to try and help his friend avoid being hanged for a murder her didnae commit. The author does a decent job of describing the weedge and all its dens during the timeframe, and there's enough nasty characters and double crossing to keep thriller fans happy. It all goes a bit Die Hard at the end, which detracts a bit from the rest of it, but still a good wee read - 7/10

The Green Mile - First read this on holiday back in 2000, then watched the film a couple of years later. Seen the film about a dozen times since, and it's one of my favourite films of all time now, So, this is the first time I've read the book since watching the movie, and I was amazed how close the film stayed to the book, right down to much of the dialogue. It also highlights how brilliantly cast the film was. Michael Clarke Duncan is perfect for John Coffey, I remember not particularly enjoying the book first time round, but I loved it this time. Great stuff - 9/10

i always thought he was a cock socket and still do to some extent but i read a good interview with him by paul kimmage in the sunday times a while ago and i had a lot of sympathy for him due to his childhood issues and the pyschological issues he is still suffering from because of it.

Yeah, if all you knew of him was his rugby commentary, you'd be right to think he was a total arse. I've got a lot of sympathy and respect for him, gutsy, gutsy bloke. The overblown knee jerk reactionary stuff he comes out with at times has me shaking my head, but when he sits down and thinks...

*Battens down the hatches*

THe Thoughts of Chairman Moore by Brian Moore.

A collection of the sports pieces he did for the Telegraph.

Now, by any measure - at all - I should disagree with just about everything he writes. I don't - I agree with practically all of it.

He comes over as a thoroughly decent and compassionate man, with a bit of a brain going on as well. Sorry. :(

I quite like Brian Moore :lol: My brother read his book and enjoyed it. I enjoy his rugby summarising, although he is a bit cantankerous.

Not a Penny More , Not a Penny Less by Jeffrey Archer - 5 professionals try to outsmart a millionaire to gain back money lost - just OK

Agree with that. I'd read about 5 or 6 of his books before I read that one and I felt it was quite disappointing.

The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

To summarise this novella, would actually blow your mind. This is not a child's book, and I'm led to believe it's taught in many universities around the country. Essentially, a man wakes up and finds himself now an insect, a hideous insect. His family are struggling for money, and he is the sole provider for the family but of course, he is no more, because he's an insect. This puts an incredible strain on the family who can't bear to look at this 'monster' but still feed it. Anyways, the insect dies and the family poke it with a brush to ensure it's dead. And that's that.

Strangely, I felt an overwhelming feeling of sadness at the end, I had actually connected with the insect... Maybe that says more about me, however. Great wee read and only 50 pages long, but it's best to read it before you know what it's about, as any description must surely put one off.

Anyone who's read it, care to comment or provide some deeper analysis?

Also, at the end, when the girl stretches, am I to take it that she too is turning into an insect or is she just relieved at having the burden off her shoulders or is it indeed intended to be ambigious?

Forgotten voices of the Holocaust.

Quite harrowing in parts, yet strangely uplifting in others. I quite like the 'voices' series, it gives a personal account of what heppened during the war and it's more life like, rather than historical books which make the matter quite factual.

9.5/10

Just finished The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.

May well be the greatest book I have ever read. Up there with The Great Gatsby. Not really sure how to explain the plot, such as it is, but it involves a man searching for his cat and losing his wife in the process. 10.0

Next on the agenda, The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer.

Not really sure how to explain the plot

japanese boy sits down well.

it's an amazing book, i love the bit with the old psychic guy talking about his war experiences.

his most recent book is out in a couple of months. i've got it preordered on amazon, cannot wait.

Just finished One Day by David Nicholls. I actually really enjoyed it. Anyone mid-thirties who has ever been to University will find it quite enjoyable I think. And a bit sad.

Currently reading "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Quite liking it so far.

Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin - 10/10

Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin 10/10

The first two books in the Song of Ice and Fire series. If you've watched Game of Thrones and were wondering whether to read the books, I'd definitely recommend it. The first book follows the first series very closely with only a few significant bits of the story changed slightly and obviously you get more of the background story. I suppose it's a bit like Lord of the Rings but for a slightly more grown up audience. Also, reminds me a bit of Robert Harris' Rome books with all the political scheming and double crossing taking place against a backdrop of battles and war. I've not been able to put them down so far and have just moved on to the third one.

Just finished reading the "Dead" series by Peter James

Dead Simple

Looking Good Dead

Not Dead Enough

Dead Man's Footsteps

Dead Tomorrow

Dead Like you

All books follow Detective Superintendent Roy Grace who lives in Brighton and the nasty crimes he encounters in his day to day life. All very good books who I would recommend to anyone. 9/10 for each of them

The rise and fall of the Soviet Empire : Political leaders from Lenin to Gorbachev - Dmitri Volkogonov - 10 / 10 - An outstanding historical account of the the political aspects of the Soviet Union, I would recommend to anyone with an interest in this field.

Just finished reading the "Dead" series by Peter James

Dead Simple

Looking Good Dead

Not Dead Enough

Dead Man's Footsteps

Dead Tomorrow

Dead Like you

All books follow Detective Superintendent Roy Grace who lives in Brighton and the nasty crimes he encounters in his day to day life. All very good books who I would recommend to anyone. 9/10 for each of them

Are the books you have listed in order of how to read them? I quite fancy taking a peek at them.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Glad that I finally got around to reading this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe didn't quite live up to the hype that I'd heard, but I don't think that anything really could've done.