Last Book You Read....

H_B

If you like the Fantasy/Tolkien style stuff, then you might enjoy the following as some summer reading..there are a few books involved. but here goes:

The author of this series is a guy called Stephen Donaldson and the stories are in sequence, beginning with..

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

1. Lord Foul's Bane.

2. The Illearth War.

3. The Power that Preserves.

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

1. The Wounded Land.

2. The one Tree.

3. White Gold Wielder.

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

1. The Runes of the Earth.

2. Fatal Revenant.

3. Against All Things Ending.(2010)

4. The Last Dark.

Quite a bit of reading but, if you like this type of stuff, you'll enjoy it.;)

Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction

Read the last two in this series in the wrong order, but it isn't really all that necessary to strictly follow the chronological order. Another enjoyable read.

Now reading The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. Pretty good so far.

NILEISM [THE STRANGE COURSE OF THE BLUE NILE] by ALLAN BROWN

l3538.jpg

Thankfully I came across this book in my local library as I would have been pretty pissed off if I had spent my hard earned cash on it. With very little input from the band itself and full of typos this book really isn't vital even for the most hardcore Blue Nile fan.

3 out of 10

Just finished reading Always Leave Them Laughing which is a Biography by John Fisher of the great Tommy Cooper.

Fantastic read which I would recommend to anyone who has an interest in comedy legends.

i started reading it like any normal book.

you're meant to read it from the back to the front.

But you read it the wrong way round, right?

If so, surely the fact that the first page you read began in mid-sentence as a continuation from the previous page was a bit of a give-away?

Edit: apologies, didn't realise this was posted more than two months ago.

Edited by Muggy

I'm still in the midst of a bit of a Cormac McCarthy infatuation, more specifically regarding those books classed as his Western novels. Having almost finished re-reading The Crossing, my intention is then to read All The Pretty Horses again, in advance of tackling Cities Of The Plain, which is the final part of his Border Trilogy. I've never yet read the latter, which seems to be pretty much universally regarded as the weakest of the three, but I'm now champing at the bit to find out what becomes of Billy Parham and John Grady Cole though.

I have however broken all this up a bit by reading Just Kids, Patti Smith's biography of her friendship with risque, man friendly photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, which I found really quite moving. I'm a bit of a sucker for an early to mid 70's New York setting, possibly because it reminds me so much of the late 80's Arbroath where I spent my formative years.

The Brookyln Follies - Paul Auster.

8/10.

Very good book. About a mid 50s man who moves to the suburbs of Brooklyn after a messy divorce, he's on non-speaking terms with his daughter and a lung cancer battle.

He meets some people there and if I say anymore, I'll give it away.

Really enjoyed it and the ending was superb.

Have recently read a few. First being The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Has amazing reviews, my brother gave it to me saying it was in his top five of all time but it left me a bit cold - 5/10.

Picked up Roy Keane's autobiography in a charity shop for 75p. Raced through it, and found it pretty interesting - 7/10

Also, just read Snakes and Earrings by Hitomi Kanehara. Written when she was just 21, it's about a young woman who gets into a relationship with a man who has a forked tongue and she follows by going through the splitting process. However, she gets involved with the tattoo artist who helps her do this and gets into a violent love triangle. Read it in a day, enjoyed it a lot - 8/10.

Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore

A very interesting book and well worth reading.

Now on to In the court of the red Tsar biggrin.gif

Finished reading in the court of the red tsar not long ago and it's a great book, well worth reading if you enjoy historical biographies.

recently i've read 'the road' by cormac mccarthy, orwell's '1984' and i'm just about to finish 'the private memoirs and confessions of a justified sinner' by james hogg.

all have been excellent, but the road would have probably been better if i hadn't watched the rather mediocre film first. 1984 has probably been my favourite although i have a feeling confessions may have taken this title if it wasn't for the entire paragraphs that i am unable to understand due to the way some of the characters speak.

next i'm planning on firing through animal farm in a couple of days before moving on to jules verne's 'journey to the centre of the earth'. i also plan on reading 'a brave new world', but i think i'll give it a bit of time considering i just did 1984.

The Silver Fob Watch by Andrew Cowie

Cracking read. Shame it's not available for public sale at the moment.

Are you plugging this on all internet medians. Must remember to check your blog.

Anyway,.I'm currently working through Uprising by George McManus on the impact of emerging markets like China, it's informative but not particularly well written.

And a book on Great Scottish football managers which has been a pretty light hearted read so far but I think they are stretching it a bit when they say Billy McNeil and Davie Hay are 'great' Celtic managers.

I'm a bit of a sucker for an early to mid 70's New York setting, possibly because it reminds me so much of the late 80's Arbroath where I spent my formative years.

I laughed.

I've seen a couple of McCarthy's films but need to get involved with his written work. Way too many people on this thread are enjoying them.