Last Book You Read....

H_B

Target by Simon Kernick

One of the best I have read in a long time. The plot is fairly straight forward to start with then it has loads of twists and turns (one major one). Brilliant characters with them all being relevent to the story even if they were only in for a couple of chapters. The guy has done a lot of research, therefore enabling the characters to be even more believable. From guns to the official way situations are handled.

I will be going to my local library to catch some more of this guys work.

I urge you all to read this novel.

Score 10/10

Told ya ;)

Currently reading The Neighbour by Lisa Gardner. Fantastic so far as most of her books are.

• 2 weeks later...

Wee bump!!!

Anyone read anything by Jonathan Kellerman?

My mum is halfway through reading "Bones" at the moment but she wont tell me if it's any good or not. The fact that she is halfway through it means not a jot. She always finishes what book she is reading.

Cheers in advance etc

For no particular reason I've started becoming interested in fiction about the late Roman Republic. First I read a few books from Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle' series, which follows the adventures of two centurions, Macro and Cato, on the frontline of the Roman invasion of Britain. All of them were really good, enthralling and interesting reads, and that prompted me to then go out and buy 'Lustrum' by Robert Harris, which is a historical fiction which centres around real Roman politicians like Cicero, Crassus, Julius Caesar and Pompey.

While the 'Eagle' books were based on the battlefield, Lustrum was set in Rome and was based mainly on the politics and scandals of the Roman senate. Again, it was an absolutely brilliant book and I'd definitely recommend both Robert Harris and Simon Scarrow's books to anyone intrerested in that period of time. I've even started watching the HBO series "Rome" which deals with the same period in time with the same characters I've just read about (mostly Cicero, Pompey, Marcus Porcius Cato and Caesar)

All great reads which have encouraged me to try and learn a bit more about the Roman Republic/Empire :)

You should read Imperium. It's set before Lustrum.

Waiting on David Gemmell's Troy: Shield of Thunder turning up now. Looking forward to it, as the first book in the trilogy was really good.

Read this and thought that it was even better than the first, still waiting on the third turning up.

While I'm waiting, I've started a book called Think by Simon Blackburn. It's basically a summary in simple terms of a few of the major philosophical debates and the different arguments surrounding them. It's not at a hugely deep level, which is fine as I'm doing most of my reading on the bus at the moment and want something which is interesting without being too challenging.

For no particular reason I've started becoming interested in fiction about the late Roman Republic. First I read a few books from Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle' series, which follows the adventures of two centurions, Macro and Cato, on the frontline of the Roman invasion of Britain. All of them were really good, enthralling and interesting reads, and that prompted me to then go out and buy 'Lustrum' by Robert Harris, which is a historical fiction which centres around real Roman politicians like Cicero, Crassus, Julius Caesar and Pompey.

While the 'Eagle' books were based on the battlefield, Lustrum was set in Rome and was based mainly on the politics and scandals of the Roman senate. Again, it was an absolutely brilliant book and I'd definitely recommend both Robert Harris and Simon Scarrow's books to anyone intrerested in that period of time. I've even started watching the HBO series "Rome" which deals with the same period in time with the same characters I've just read about (mostly Cicero, Pompey, Marcus Porcius Cato and Caesar)

All great reads which have encouraged me to try and learn a bit more about the Roman Republic/Empire smile.gif

Ave!

For Roman historical research with a touch of humour, try the Falco series: http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/

For Roman historical research with a hint of menace and suspense, try the Gordianus series:

http://www.stevensaylor.com/RomaSubRosa.html

Both Marcus Didius Falco and Gordianus the Finder are thorughly enjoyable reads, with a lot of detailed information about the Roman Empire and the city of Rome itself in the First Centuries BC/AD. I have all the books and can thoroughly recommend them.

You could also try Ben Kane's novels about the Forgotten Legion: http://www.benkane.net/

I will admit to only just seeing his latest book on the W H Smith bookstall and having had a quick browse through it. However, it does have some good reviews as do the other two books in the series so far. Come pay day, I might make a wee purchase and see if the blurbs are justified.

Hope the above is helpful/of interest.

Ave atque vale!wink.gif

snow crash, Neal Stephenson. Very enjoyable and after a glance at wiki, very influential book about a computer hacker who saves a futuristic world where Americans live in burbs that have no connection to the US government.

Oh and if you want a pizza you have to go to the mafia and they guarantee a 30min delivery.

7.5/10

Just finished The Fallen by Dave Simpson.

Basically he goes around Britain trying to find everyone who has ever been a member of The Fall and gets them to tell him stories about it. It's not particularly well written, but it's funny and interesting, and at times sad. I'm sure every Fall fan on here has read it though.

You should read Imperium. It's set before Lustrum.

Yeah, I saw it in Tesco last week as part of their BOGOF book offer so I'll be buying that tomorrow along with 'Pompeii', another Robert Harris which looks quite good.

Ave!

For Roman historical research with a touch of humour, try the Falco series: http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/

For Roman historical research with a hint of menace and suspense, try the Gordianus series:

http://www.stevensay...omaSubRosa.html

Both Marcus Didius Falco and Gordianus the Finder are thorughly enjoyable reads, with a lot of detailed information about the Roman Empire and the city of Rome itself in the First Centuries BC/AD. I have all the books and can thoroughly recommend them.

You could also try Ben Kane's novels about the Forgotten Legion: http://www.benkane.net/

I will admit to only just seeing his latest book on the W H Smith bookstall and having had a quick browse through it. However, it does have some good reviews as do the other two books in the series so far. Come pay day, I might make a wee purchase and see if the blurbs are justified.

Hope the above is helpful/of interest.

Ave atque vale!wink.gif

I appreciate that Kilt, I'll definitely keep those in mind although as well as the two books above I've recently ordered Rubicon, as recommended by VT, and the first book in Conn Iggulden's Empire series courtesy of Mák, so that'll keep me ticking over for a while. Cheers everyone

i've just finished the kindly ones and have been reading a fair bit about it online. it's a novel about an ss officer's experience of the war and documents in great detail his experiences in eizengruppen's in the ukraine and the caucas, in the abandoned 6th army at the end of the battle of stalingrad, adminstering concentration camps and being at the heart of nazi politics. the book has two sides to it firstly documenting the nazi's crimes which is done in great detail and extremely cooly making huge acts of evil seem completely banal. the second side deals with main character's private life and the all the strange deviant impulses he has. a lot of people seem to have a problem with the end of the novel but i liked it and i think i can see what littell is trying to do with it. overall it's a great book and it has been recommended by anthony beevor so the historical side which is probably the strongest stands up under the strongest scrutiny. i'd be very interested to hear what anyone else who has read thinks of it in general and particularly the ending.

roberto bolano the savage dectives will be starting shortly on a sun lounger in the back garden. a nice change of pace hopefully after reading almost 1000 pages of genocide, matricide, incest and sodomy over the past month.

Edited by T_S_A_R

I have not read them yet but I have bought some books for my impending holiday.

A Journey - Tony Blair (I know, but it was half-price and cheaper than the Alastair Campbell diaries)

Thatcher's Britain - Richard Vinen

The Don - Wille Miller

Union Jock - Aidan Smith

The Left Hand of God by Phillip Hoffman.

6/10

The first quarter of the book would score 9/10, as it's very good, but the pace falls as it goes on and despite being an enjoyable read. I felt let down after finishing it.

First part of a trilogy, so the future books might be better.

Just read Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. Great Action Thriller about a team of

crack United States Marines being sent to secure some sort of UFO that has been found by a group of scientists at a remote ice station in Antarctica. Loads of Twist an turns in this one, great read. :)

Got Area 7 to read next. biggrin.gif

http://www.matthewreilly.com/novel_icestation.html

Just finished The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw having previously read his latest book The Lucifer Code. Both a Dan Brown style romp which is one of the types of books I like. At the same time I bought The Eagles Prey by Simon Scarrow (2 for £7 or something at Sainsbury or Asda) another fast paced romp but a more historical setting.

Now that I've finished both what does anyone recommend along the same lines (preferably good deals from Asda/Sainsbury)?

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo.

Was really good - took a little while to get going, but enjoyed it.

then - A Room Swept White, by Sophie Hannah. Pish. I really should stop buying books written by women - they are almost invariably dreadful. Apart from Harry Potter of course.

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo.

Was really good - took a little while to get going, but enjoyed it.

then - A Room Swept White, by Sophie Hannah. Pish. I really should stop buying books written by women - they are almost invariably dreadful. Apart from Harry Potter of course.

Don't forget Virginia Woolf. She wasn't half bad either, and some would argue her best works at least rival Harry Potter.