Last Book You Read....

H_B

Janet Evanovich - Hard Eight.

The eighth in a series of books about Stephanie Plum, a terrible bounty hunter. All the titles of the book have the number of the series in them, which is a bit cheesy, but this book was well written, fast paced and very funny, and I'd recommend it.

Looking forward to reading the other eleven in the series too. :D

7/10

Just finished Hiaasen's Skin Tight. Another really enjoyable book with genuine laugh out loud moments. I'd reccommend these to anyone.

Chemo is one of the most outlandishly funny characters I've ever read about. Other favourite comedy moment is when the doctor's brother gets minced in the wood carver equipment and the comments of "hey, lasagne", "Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious" get made. Some of that book really had me on my knees with laughter. He's a superb writer.

I like how Al Garcia seems to pop up in absolutely every book. I'm reading them chronologically in the order in which they were written (I'm a bit Rain Man like that), and in every one so far there's been a reference to Garcia's exploits in the previous one.

Edit: Read the first 60 pages of Native Tongue last night, pretty funny so far. Obviously not very far in, but I'm enjoying the constant piss taking out of theme parks / PR.

Edited by StewartyMak

Papillion - Henri Charriere Amazing book, makes the film look like a comic cut. One of those you can't put down. Has to be a 9/10.

I read that awhile ago. It was a not bad read but according to wikipedia a lot of the stuff in it didn't actually happen to him, he's pinched other people's tales and palmed them off as his own

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - T E Lawrence

Better known as Lawrence of Arabia, this is his memoir of leading the Arab revolt against Turkey in 1917/18. I'd imagine it to be of interest only to those who are already war/history buffs, but it is very detailed and gives a glimpse into what was happening away from the Western Front. Some of the draids conducted by his camel-mounted troops are remarkable. He has a tendency to waffle a bit though - you'd have to blame heatstroke.

I like how Al Garcia seems to pop up in absolutely every book. I'm reading them chronologically in the order in which they were written (I'm a bit Rain Man like that), and in every one so far there's been a reference to Garcia's exploits in the previous one.

Edit: Read the first 60 pages of Native Tongue last night, pretty funny so far. Obviously not very far in, but I'm enjoying the constant piss taking out of theme parks / PR.

I don't think that's particularly Rain Man, it's quite logical. You get the best benefit that way. I like the character of Garcia. There are also plenty dodgy characters both Cuban and otherwise. Lucky You has some great fun with white supremacists.

You know what? You're awright for a Jambo. :D

Just finished The Black Ice by Michael Connelly. Been enjoying his series of Harry Bosch books. Got the majority of teh set still to read.

Started reading Marching Powder recently. Seems really good so far, its basically the true story of an English guy who gets locked in Bolivia for trying to smuggle Cocoaine out the country and his ecperiances in the Bolivian prison where prisoners have to buy there own cells and have their families move in with them. Very facinating book so far.

Just finished The Black Ice by Michael Connelly. Been enjoying his series of Harry Bosch books. Got the majority of teh set still to read.

Started reading Marching Powder recently. Seems really good so far, its basically the true story of an English guy who gets locked in Bolivia for trying to smuggle Cocoaine out the country and his ecperiances in the Bolivian prison where prisoners have to buy there own cells and have their families move in with them. Very facinating book so far.

If you like that one I can reccomend loads of books about prisoners abroad. I've read quite a few about people banged up in Laos, Venezuela, Indonesia and Thailand. Some of the stuff in them is quite brutal.

Michael Ende's Neverending Story. An absolute gem. The man's imagination is something else. I didn't know a great deal about the book going in, but it's easy having read it to see why I've never heard abad word said about it. If you haven't read it, get it. If you have, read it again. Very enjoyable.

Also read Isaac Asimov's Second Foundation. The third in the series, we're now 400 years into Hari Seldon's 1,000 year plan to rebuild a stable Galactic Empire, using the complex science of 'Psychohistory' to calculate how the masses would respond to certain crises.

This was the finest in the series to date - if you're a Sci-Fi fan, it's worth a look.

Currently reading Stuart MacBride's Cold Granite. I'm based in Aberdeen so figured it was about time I gave it a go.

Colin Bateman

I Predict A Riot

Any man that can write a comedy thriller around poisoned carrot-cake has to be revered.

The man is a genius. Whenever I read a book of his I get more funny looks than usual on the train, for my laughing.

Was off work on holiday last week and managed to get a power of reading done........

American Pastoral ~ Philip Roth

I really like Roth anyway, but this is absolutely masterful. It concerns the shattering of the main protagonists, Seymour 'Swede' Levov's, comfortable, middle class American idyll after his daughter commits an act of terrorism in protest against the Vietnam war. It's a hugely impressive novel.

The Road ~ Cormac McCarthy

Despite having had several people recommend this to me recently, I kind of approached it with some wariness, as I'm not generally hugely enamoured with books that portray post apocalyptic (not that this is actually specified), dystopian visions of society. However, I found it really powerful and the relationship between the father and son genuinely affecting.

I've also been dipping into The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters which, as the title suggests, is a collection of correspondences between the Mitford girls over the course of 8 decades. It may not sound it, but it's a really fascinating, engrossing read.

The Road ~ Cormac McCarthy

Despite having had several people recommend this to me recently, I kind of approached it with some wariness, as I'm not generally hugely enamoured with books that portray post apocalyptic (not that this is actually specified), dystopian visions of society. However, I found it really powerful and the relationship between the father and son genuinely affecting.

Just in case you don't know, that's about to be released as a film with Nick Cave providing the soundtrack.

Just in case you don't know, that's about to be released as a film with Nick Cave providing the soundtrack.

I was aware that a film was in the pipeline, but I didn't know about the soundtrack. Presumably it will be a collaboration with Warren Ellis? I really like the soundtrack they did for The Assasination Of Jesse James......