Last Book You Read....

H_B

I'm reading "Look To Windward" by Iain M Banks (note the "M"). I've been a fan of Banks for years but haven't read any of his science fiction as it's not really my thing.

I admit it's been a slog as I'm not used to the large chunks, sometimes full chapters, of detailed descriptions about alien landscapes and technology. I've got into it though and it's been a welcome change. I'd recommend it and I'm going to read his other SF books between more mainstream novels.

Here Is a list of his SF stuff, I've read a few and would recommend, "Use of Weapons" "The Player of Games" and my favourite, "consider Phlebas".

I love the thought of drones and special circumstances.

Just started "Roseanna" by two Swedish authors whose names I've forgotten. It's the first of a series of ten novels about a detective called Martin Beck in Sweden in the sixties. Only about sixty pages in - seems okay so far, if a bit slow paced, but I'll reserve judgement until I've read more.

Finished this series now: Roseanna, The Man Who Went Up In Smoke, The Man on the Balcony, The Laughing Policeman, The Fire Engine That Disappeared, Murder at the Savoy, The Abominable Man, The Locked Room, Cop Killer and The Terrorists.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the series, which I thought got better and better as it went on. The books aren't "just" detective novels as such, but were originally intended to hold up a mirror to Swedish society at the time and show what the authors believed that its problems were. Although the books are now mostly set about 40 years ago, it's interesting how many of the criticisms remained valid in modern day Britain.

I'd give the series around an 8/10. Usually, I wouldn't give detective novels more than a 7, as they're not entirely my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed these.

Recently read Firmin by Sam Savage, recommended by my girlfriend. It's about a rat. A touching story, I really enjoyed it.

Before that it was Imperial Earth, my first Arthur C Clarke novel. My flatmate's told me he's written far better, which has me wanting to go buy more as it wasn't half bad in itself.

I'm now reading Asimov's Foundation and Empire, the second of five in the Foundation series. This has been incredibly hard to put down.

Sleephyhead by Mark Billingham - dark detective thriller. Absolutely epic storyline.

Finished this over the weekend, excellent read from start to finish. I like the depth he gives to the main copper character, Tom Thorne. 8/10

I've just started ready Scaredy Cat, which is the next book in the Thorne series.

Just finished The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

A thoroughly compelling read, perhaps a bit flowery and needlessly descriptive at parts. I'll give The Trial a read on the strength of this.

8/10

I'm not too sure about some of Kafka's stuff but really enjoyed The Trial.

I've just finished How Late It Was, How Late by James Kelman. Not usually a fan of books written in Scottish dialect but thought this was very good - prefer his short stories though. 7/10.

Nocturnes: Five Stories Of Music And Nightfall ~ Kazuo Ishiguro

Ishiguro is one of my favourite contemporary novelists, but this, his first collection of short stories, left me a little underwhelmed for the most part. Short stories, by their very nature, can leave me a bit cold though, as I can find them a little unfulfilling and would sooner absorb myself in a full length novel.

A couple of the stories didn't quite work for me, particularly on the occasions where he seemed to deviate a bit from his usual novelistic style. One story in particular was verging on farce at times and simply grated a bit. Thought that the final story, Cellists, was lovely though.

"Tourist Season" by Carl Hiaasen.

A very funny dark comedy concerning some unusual murders in Florida. It's a satirical look at Florida's tourist industry and Florida in general, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - it was written over twenty years ago now, but you wouldn't know that from reading it. Can't actually remember where I heard Hiaasen's name, but I'd definitely reccommend this book. 8/10.

"Tourist Season" by Carl Hiaasen.

A very funny dark comedy concerning some unusual murders in Florida. It's a satirical look at Florida's tourist industry and Florida in general, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - it was written over twenty years ago now, but you wouldn't know that from reading it. Can't actually remember where I heard Hiaasen's name, but I'd definitely reccommend this book. 8/10.

The Nachos of December. :lol:

That is indeed a great book, as are, basically, all Hiaasen's stuff. Skin Tight & Basket Case are particularly recommended but basically you can't go wrong with the man.

The Nachos of December. :lol:

That is indeed a great book, as are, basically, all Hiaasen's stuff. Skin Tight & Basket Case are particularly recommended but basically you can't go wrong with the man.

Yeah, I read about the first 100 or so pages of Double Whammy yesterday after work and am actually enjoying it even more so far. I love the idea of hillbillies murdering each other over fishing contests. :lol:

Acid Row by Minette Walters

Not bad.

Residents of a council estate find out that a paedophile has been given a house there. When a 10 year old girl goes missing, they are the main suspects. This covers the residents vigilante ations and the consequences of it also, the suspects take the local doctor hostage.

Yeah, I read about the first 100 or so pages of Double Whammy yesterday after work and am actually enjoying it even more so far. I love the idea of hillbillies murdering each other over fishing contests. :lol:

One of the few I've still to get round to reading. He's very droll at times and other times just outlandish with the scenarios.

I think it's Sick Puppy where there's a character called Mr. Gash, a hit-man who has a hobby of listening to recorded phone calls made to the emergency services to a backing of classical music. You have to read it to get the full effect and the punchline. :lol: