Last Book You Read....

H_B

Echo Burning by Lee Child

The fifth in the rather good Jack Reacher series about the ex-Army cop turned drifter who finds himself in Texas and is picked up by a Mexican woman who claims her husband is due out of jail and had been beating her prior to his incarceration while her in-laws stand can her because she's Mexican and she fell out with her own family. She needs to get out and asks Reacher for his help. But everything isn't as it seems.

A good thriller and I'm into the last couple of chapters as the story becomes unravelled and I have to say it's a decent addition to the series, although I still think the previous story, "The Visitor", is slightly better.

Read "The Brass Verdict" by Michael Connolly and "Long Lost" by Harlan Coben over the weekend.

First was very good, second sadly average. I was disappointed.

Reading "The Malice Box" by Martin Langfield at the moment, which is rather bizarre.

Edited by H_B

I'm in the middle of that just now. It's really excellent - a slow burner.

It fairly picked up pace towards the end!

Reread The Shining recently but was disappointed, not as scary as I remember. I blame age - my own. Also read The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid, (not as gory as usual but a decent page turner none the less although I had my suspicions about the villain from early on) and The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen (again a pretty bog standard easy read - all finished in one night)

Currently reading We Need to Talk About Kevin which is proving to be tough going, purely on a personal level. I have a Snowball in Hell and In the Dark by Mark Billingham on the list to read next.

Reading 'Lord of the Flies' right now. Need to have it finished for Monday, and I'm about half-way through it. Quite good so far.

:o

I think its a dreadful book!

Couldn't wait till it was finished!

Oh and i've just read "The Secret of Crickley Hall" by James Herbert

I enjoyed reading that :)

Thought that I'd leave this thread for a while, as I was basically posting the same thing every time.

Now finished the David Eddings Belgariad and Malloreon series as well as the companion novels of Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress and the Rivan Codex.

I enjoyed them, but you wouldn't enjoy them if you're not into fantasy novels, which tend to be quite divisive. There were a few wee things that annoyed me, I sometimes thought that the dialogue was a bit clumsy and characters seemed quite like caricatures of the features of their nationality at times. Those are small points, though, and I'd reccommend the books to anyone who's into that kind of thing. I'd probably give them an eight or nine out of ten.

Just started "Roseanna" by two Swedish authors whose names I've forgotten. It's the first of a series of ten novels about a detective called Martin Beck in Sweden in the sixties. Only about sixty pages in - seems okay so far, if a bit slow paced, but I'll reserve judgement until I've read more.

• 4 weeks later...

'Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln' by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Absolutely riveting study of the man from beginning to end. Both a biography and overview of just what a great statesman he was, how he overcame crisis after crisis in the most challenging time of all for the USA, won over the overwhelming affections of everybody he came into contact with, and somehow managed his cabinet of bitter political rivals (hence the title). I was urging him not to go to Ford's Theatre at the end of the book.

Murder in Samarkand - Craig Murray

The story of the UK Ambassador in Uzbekistan just after the Twin Towers. Him making noises about the casual use of torture on 'political' detainees - including boiling people to death and rape with broken bottles - annoys the British and US hierarchy so they try to force him out of office.

You know this shit happens but it still annoys the feck out of you reading it.

I'm reading "Look To Windward" by Iain M Banks (note the "M"). I've been a fan of Banks for years but haven't read any of his science fiction as it's not really my thing.

I admit it's been a slog as I'm not used to the large chunks, sometimes full chapters, of detailed descriptions about alien landscapes and technology. I've got into it though and it's been a welcome change. I'd recommend it and I'm going to read his other SF books between more mainstream novels.