Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby

5/10

Can you imagine what it would be like to be almost completely paralysed and only be able to move one eyelid? I can't. Fortunately I don't have to as Jean-Dominique Bauby was in such a state and managed to 'write' a book about it. Not as good as it sounds.

Michael Foot: A Life by Kenneth O. Morgan.

Beautifully written, well investigated and refreshingly honest for an authorised biography. If you have an interest in Brittish left wing politics I'd suggest it's invaluable.

I must give that a read.He was really ruffed up by the press. As much for the way he looked. When you see what followed.....

Im away to start,not for the first time. The quiet American--Graham Green. and the History of the Cold War.

Ian Rankin - Set In Darkness.

Enjoyable enough yarn, and in fact, the first Rebus novel I've read. I have to say, going by the books, Rebus is much more Ken Stott than John Hannah.

6/10

Edited by StewartyMac

• 2 weeks later...

Simon Kernick - Deadline 6/10

Not bad cop thriller about a young girl who is kidnapped and held for ransom. It followed the usual cop book formula of cop bends the rules to get results, cop gets suspended, cop carries on his investigation anyway, suspended cop saves the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Exit Music & Doors Open- Ian Rankin

Saved the final Rebus book for a good while, but had to be done at some point. I enjoyed it, as I have all of the earlier efforts in the series. I then read Doors Open as Rankin's making an appearance at the Word Festival in Aberdeen, with his latest book being one of the topics he'll be discussing. A little more straight forward than the Rebus plots but it was still a good read set in familiar locations. Can't go wrong, really.

Catacombs - John Farris

Stolen from my dad's collection of Horror/Thriller/Adventure-type novels. Set largely in Tanzania, a group of archaeologists uncover something that could change the world, and that kind of thing. There are enough layers in the story to keep it interesting. An American author writing a novel set during the Cold War and manages to portray the Russians in a likeable enough manner - he deserves some praise for that.

Pyramids - Terry Pratchett

The one book in the "Gods Trilogy" I'd yet to read, and more of the usual silliness from Pratchett. I know the genre isn't to everyone's tastes, but the man's a genius.

Simon Kernick - Deadline 6/10

Not bad cop thriller about a young girl who is kidnapped and held for ransom. It followed the usual cop book formula of cop bends the rules to get results, cop gets suspended, cop carries on his investigation anyway, suspended cop saves the day.

Simon Kernick - Relentless 8/10

I'm currently reading his 'Murder Exchange' book. Most of his work seems to be much the same, but it's enjoyable enough.

I'm currently reading his 'Murder Exchange' book. Most of his work seems to be much the same, but it's enjoyable enough.

The 2 I read were quite similiar and featured the same characters but they were both easy reads and fairly enjoyable. I'll pay a visit to the charity shop tomorrow to see if they have anymore of his stuff.

Sleephyhead by Mark Billingham - dark detective thriller. Absolutely epic storyline.

Also dying o get any book written by Jeff Stelling.

Jellyman Throws a Wobbly is coming out shortly and it's his take on what happens on Gillette Soccer Saturday.

Don't think anyone touched on this but ''Oor Wullie'' was on the whole vastly underrated. Sometimes predictable story lines, but 'earthy' and well written. Characters who were believable, authoritarian types such as policemen and teachers who have an austere image' often reduced to mere mortal status by the lovable rogues scampish exploits.

Overall I'd give this a well deserved 8/10 and can't wait till this Christmas for more of the same. ;)

Don't think anyone touched on this but ''Oor Wullie'' was on the whole vastly underrated. Sometimes predictable story lines, but 'earthy' and well written. Characters who were believable, authoritarian types such as policemen and teachers who have an austere image' often reduced to mere mortal status by the lovable rogues scampish exploits.

Overall I'd give this a well deserved 8/10 and can't wait till this Christmas for more of the same. ;)

Typical idiotic response from a Celtic fan. Surprised it wasn't the Bible though.

The bone garden - Tess Gerritsen

Her books are always a good read.

Uberman - I've got all the Simon Kernick books and agree that although they are quite similiar they are enjoyable.