Last Book You Read....

H_B

Id say that Death is probably my favourite Discworld character. :)

'Thief of Time' was my first Discworld book and I loved it.

Although Ive enjoyed every one that Ive read :)

Managed to pick up six of them from a charity shop for a couple of quid, I knew I'd like them based on what I'd heard. I don't have that one mind, it can be my seventh ;)

Colour of Magic will be next, the girlfriend's telling me to so we can watch the film together. I think we'll be watching Hogfather when I see her after Christmas.

Crystal Zevon's "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - the dirty life and times of Warren Zevon"

Brilliant book - although it was hard to realise just how much of a complete c**t one of my all-time favourite singer-songwriters really was!!

Having just lost my dad to cancer, reading the last couple of chapters on Zevon's death was tough as well, but it's still a great read.

I'm not a Celtic fan in any way, shape or form, but I'm currently reading the book about "The Lisbon Lions" that came out last year, with the eight remaining members of that team from 1967.

Written by Alex Gordon, it includes great stories from Jim Craig, Bertie Auld, Willie Wallace, Stevie Chalmers, Bobby Lennox, Billy McNeill, Tommy Gemmell and John Clark, plus tributes to the dearly departed Jimmy Johnstone, Bobby Murdoch and Ronnie Simpson, not forgetting Jock Stein.

A great read and some fascinating stories about Scotland's greatest ever club team.*

* in terms of achievement I mean

The last one I read was Cold War, by Jeremy Isaacs and Taylor Downing. A good read I must say and one that I would recommend to anyone with an interest in global events from 1945-1990. Cold War covers all the major events and players from this time in a relatively unbiased assesment of the stand off between the two super powers and how it shaped the world.

The book has been well researched and draws on material from the historical archives and the people at the heart Government around the world, to make it a good read.

9/10.

Edited by qos_75

Just finished 'Tripwire' by lee Child. That is my second of the Jack Reacher series and I really recommend them.

Anyone else agree they are a great read?

Indeed. Killing Floor was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read. Pick it up.

Just finished 'The Brass Verdict' by Michael Connelly which is the sequel to 'The Linclon Lawyer'.

Pretty much classic Connelly, though I felt the ending was rather weak.

I really liked The Lincoln Lawyer, I might get that.

I'm wanting to read some Pelecanos and Richard Price stuff, can people recommend a starting point? Or is the beginning a very good place to start?

I'm wanting to read some Pelecanos and Richard Price stuff, can people recommend a starting point? Or is the beginning a very good place to start?

Don't know about Price but Pelecanos's stuff is well worth pursuing.

Right as Rain and Hell To Pay are the beginning of the Derek Strange series. I'd start there...

Dean Koontz - From The Corner Of His Eye 6/10

Started out brilliantly with great characters and an intriguing plot and then fizzled out about 3 quarters way through. A poor ending and not up to his usual high standard.

Just finished 'Tripwire' by lee Child. That is my second of the Jack Reacher series and I really recommend them.

Anyone else agree they are a great read?

Indeed. Killing Floor was a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read. Pick it up.
I liked the first one or two but the last couple have been dreadful.

I agree with H_B if you are going to read Child try to get the earlier Jack Reacher books.

The more recent ones have run out of steam a bit.

Also, if you like Lee Child, you'll enjoy Michael Connelly. Look for the Harry Bosch(H_B's namesake) novels chronologically if you can.

Crystal Zevon's "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - the dirty life and times of Warren Zevon"

Brilliant book - although it was hard to realise just how much of a complete c**t one of my all-time favourite singer-songwriters really was!!

Having just lost my dad to cancer, reading the last couple of chapters on Zevon's death was tough as well, but it's still a great read.

Will have to buy that. I've always enjoyed the hunter s. thompson anecdotes which involve Zevon.

"Azincourt", by Bernard Cornwell. As you'd expect, it's a historical novel centred around the battle of Agincourt (Azincourt being the French spelling).

As you'd expect from Cornwell, it's a historical novel with a strong storyline and good characters who you can really identify with. There was a bit of a weird bit with dead Saints speaking to the main character, but overall I thought that it was a really good book as is usual from Cornwell. That's me read all of his books now and thoroughly enjoyed them, would recommend them to anyone, even if you're not that interested in the historical side.

About to start on a new one by a guy called Douglas Lindsay, basically only because it was on my recommendations on Amazon. Anyone read any of his stuff?

Consider the Lilies by Iain Crichton Smith. If you want to read a decent book about the Highland Clearances this is a good start. Next one: Butcher's Broom by Neil Gunn.

Makes me want to take that twunt Hebridean and chuck her off a fucking cliff.

Just finished The Damned Utd by Dave Pearce, the story of Brian Clough's turbulent 44 days in charge at Leeds United.

A thought-provoking piece, it fictionalises the thoughts of Ole Big 'Ead as he stumbled his way through a reign at a club with whom he made no secret of his hatred against a bunch of players who never took to him for that reason and that he wasn't Don Revie, who had been their all-succcessful manager.

Interspersed is flashbacks of Clough's previous managerial career charting his success at Hartlepool before his very successful time in charge of Derby County when they won the old English First Division (or Premiership as its now known) and reached the semi finals of the European Cup (Champions League to the younger fans). It graphically portrays his gradual breakdown with the Derby board before he's forced out and moved to Brighton, but he can't let Derby go.

It also highlights his somewhat frosty relationship with the Leeds players, including Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles and more importantly, his great friend, Peter Taylor.

It's a wonderful read and although it's a work of fiction straddling a lot of facts, it suggests the sort of insecurities Clough had during that time, despite the public bravado that he put on and his increasing bitterness over never getting the call to manage England when Alf Ramsey left.

An absolutely brilliant book and one that I'm sad that I've finished. I highly recommend it.

About to start on a new one by a guy called Douglas Lindsay, basically only because it was on my recommendations on Amazon. Anyone read any of his stuff?

Further to that, the last book that I read was "The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson" by Douglas Lindsay.

It was... a bit weird, basically. The plot basically revolves around a barber who has a very boring existence until, in separate incidents, he kills both of his workmates by mistake (having previously considered killing them because they were "a pain in the arse"), finds out that his recently deceased mother was a serial killer, and gets into some scrapes trying to conceal all of the evidence of both.

It's written in a "darkly comic" style, but it seems a bit affected at times - at risk of seeming like I'm trying to bum up our resident author, I got the feeling that at times he was trying to copy the humour of the likes of Christopher Brookmyre, but not getting it quite right. The main character wasn't sympathetic enough, for a start, and a lot of what he tried to poke fun at - the press, soap operas, Scotland's obsession with football - boiled down to easy targets which had been made fun of before, and done much better.

For all of the above, I wouldn't say that I actually didn't enjoy it. I've started the second one in the series now, and it seems a lot better, although I'll report back when I've finished it. I'd give this about a 6/10, it was readable enough without being particularly memorable. The second seems like it'd maybe be a seven or an eight, although I'm only about halfway in.