Last Book You Read....

H_B

I finally got round to my download of the recent book of a pal I went to Uni with. A good read - a murder mystery set in Henry VIII’s day with the detective character the son of a black man who was apparently a real life figure. In the book he worked for Cardinal Wolsey, who I’ve only ever seen as a bloated, corrupt baddie - so it was interesting to see him portrayed as charming. All the murders were recreations of Arthurian legends, so quite a gruesome read.

Now to stay with the historical stuff and a period that’s my own first love, I’m going to catch up on @Luddite recommendation “Soldier of the Great War”.

AF81C7C4-14CF-4ABF-88B4-496E728CBB91.jpeg

On 18/08/2022 at 19:14, Luddite said:

Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin

Historical novel, I guess "sweeping" would be the adjective used in book reviews. 

A 70 yr old veteran of WW1 finds himself walking 60miles to Rome with an illiterate young factory worker. He tells the young man his life story which swings between comedic and tragic repeatedly, filled with characters that will stay with you forever. Beautiful dialogue and prose.

10/10....just finished my fourth reading, it is that fucking good. Best fiction book I've ever read. Various big name actors and directors have been trying to get this onto cinema screens / HBO for about 20 years. 

I read that around 10 or 12 years ago. I loved the chapter where has to spend a month alone in a lookout post high in the Alps, surrounded by hostile Austro-Hungarians...

On 05/09/2022 at 16:20, Antlion said:

I finally got round to my download of the recent book of a pal I went to Uni with. A good read - a murder mystery set in Henry VIII’s day with the detective character the son of a black man who was apparently a real life figure. In the book he worked for Cardinal Wolsey, who I’ve only ever seen as a bloated, corrupt baddie - so it was interesting to see him portrayed as charming. All the murders were recreations of Arthurian legends, so quite a gruesome read.

Now to stay with the historical stuff and a period that’s my own first love, I’m going to catch up on @Luddite recommendation “Soldier of the Great War”.

AF81C7C4-14CF-4ABF-88B4-496E728CBB91.jpeg

If you do get it into it I'd love to start a fresh thread and discuss with you and@Paul Kersey. I've recommended this book to about 20 people throughout my life, of which only 3 have read it. But every one of those three have agreed it is the best book they've ever read and two of them read through again immediately afterwards (despite the author, speaking through the protagonist, stating that a good book should never be re-read 😁).  

2 minutes ago, Luddite said:

If you do get it into it I'd love to start a fresh thread and discuss with you and@Paul Kersey. I've recommended this book to about 20 people throughout my life, of which only 3 have read it. But every one of those three have agreed it is the best book they've ever read and two of them read through again immediately afterwards (despite the author, speaking through the protagonist, stating that a good book should never be re-read 😁).  

No worries - I looked it up when I saw your rec, because it’s a historical period I know and love, and sounds right up my alley. Only reason I don’t have it yet is that it isn’t on Kindle (or wasn’t when I checked) and was going for a minimum of £20 second-hand on Amazon. If it’s worth it, though, I’d pay that; will probably have a look on Abebooks and in a local second-hand shop first though!

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Started reading All fun and games until someone loses an eye, by Chris Brookmyre. Is there an order to his books? I done a search in this thread last night and noticed there's at least some books of his with repeat characters?

I'm sure he actually posts on here. No idea what his username is though. Maybe he'll surface and help you out.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Started reading All fun and games until someone loses an eye, by Chris Brookmyre. Is there an order to his books? I done a search in this thread last night and noticed there's at least some books of his with repeat characters?

Don’t know how accurate this is.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/christopher-brookmyre/

No worries - I looked it up when I saw your rec, because it’s a historical period I know and love, and sounds right up my alley. Only reason I don’t have it yet is that it isn’t on Kindle (or wasn’t when I checked) and was going for a minimum of £20 second-hand on Amazon. If it’s worth it, though, I’d pay that; will probably have a look on Abebooks and in a local second-hand shop first though!

£5.99 on eBay.

Digital Minimalism , by Cal Newport.

Basic thesis is that all forms of electronic/digital communication are low bandwidth, ie

they are just connections.  'Social media', texts, email.... they lack the nuances, inflections, subtleties that come with face to

face high bandwidth communication, conversation.

As humans we are social beings, and need high bandwidth communication.

Newport asks the question.... " If you had to pay for every minute of time that you spend on social media, just how

much of your time would you devote to that..?".

He does not suggest to ditch social media, but to regulate our use of it.

He also suggests not to do a cold turkey exercise, of suddenly removing it from our lives.

He advocates, instead to gradually do more high bandwidth stuff, in the real world, join things, interest groups,

and to assign 'social media' to specific, reduced time slots. 

In doing so,  more fulfilling, deeper human communications replace low bandwidth, mere connections.

I don't actually do too much of social media..., Facebook a few minutes each day, and no Twitter, TikTok etc.

but I'd heard rather a lot about this book, as I've begun to slightly resent how much of my life resides in my pocket...,

my smartphone.

For me, Newports book was a worthwhile read, a slightly lumbering one, but it does confront you.

Edited by beefybake