Last Book You Read....

H_B

Case Study by Graeme Macrae Burnet. 

Similarly to his breakthrough novel His Bloody Project, this is a story told from several different points of view. It concerns a maverick 1960s psychotherapist, Collins Braithewaite, who was briefly a celebrity in the counter-cultural anti-psychiatry movement. The book switches between a summary of Braithewites life and career, extracts from his published case studies of subjects and the diary of a young woman who consults Braithewaite as a ruse to find out more details of her sisters death, who killer herself immediately after a consultation.

I’m biased perhaps as I find most of the subject material fascinating in itself - mental illness, the anti-psychiatry movement are all interesting subjects. I also find the time period really interesting, the 60s are a cliche but the juxtaposition of new ideas with the old world is something that I enjoy reading about. 

I really enjoyed it, I enjoy the way GMB writes, I like the structure of the book and the characters, particularly the diary of the patient, are well written and reveal themselves really well.

On 20/01/2022 at 21:06, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Full review in due course would be appreciated, as I'm in a bit of an autobiography groove at the moment. Just finished Tom Jones', which was surprisingly readable, and just about got through And Away.., Bob Mortimer's. Still got Bobby Gillespie and Dave Grohl' s to read as well.
Also currently re-reading The Wee Free Men, as I decided granddaughter the first could do with stepping up from Potter to some proper fantasy writing, and I'm enjoying discussing the story of the Nac Mac Feegle as she takes the first steps to becoming as much of a Pratchett fan as I am. Big Jobs!

Took a while to finish. due to being busy and its the sort of book I would lose interest every so often when it was on certain times he was talking about.

Its good at going into the detail of 60s and 70s maybe spends too long on the pre fame days. Some really funny bits in it at times. The whole build up to his career is interesting and how everything back then was so linked in terms of venues, bands, comedians etc 

Its worth a read but it can feel a bit hardgoing at times. I bought it after watching this and enjoying the laugh they had. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2022 at 13:38, Craig the Hunter said:

Kent State: Four Dead in Ohio by Derf Backderf.

A graphic novel detailing the Kent State massacre in 1970 where the National Guard turned their guns on students protesting the Vietnam War. Absolutely fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

Something I didn't know about the Kent State Massacre until recently is that the band Devo were students there at the time and had friends who murdered. 

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

Finished listening to "the bee keeper of alleppo"

Thought it was excellent.

Just started listening to"taste" buy Stanley tucci.

His descriptions of Italian food are brilliant and have me craving a good Italian meal 

He did a good TV series recently, that will have you craving even more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Tucci:_Searching_for_Italy

Edited by BigDoddyKane

• 2 weeks later...

"The storm before the storm"  written by Mike Duncan.  A piece of nonfiction about the Roman Republic covering the period 146 to 78 BC.    

Really interesting read on how the Roman democracy worked and developed.  Would recommend to any sword and sandals readers.

Scoring Goals In The Dark by Clare Shine.

I've watched Clare Shine play football on many occasions. She's a great player and has always stood out because she's been so open about her struggles with mental health and addiction. This book is a stark, emotional and inspiring story of a young woman who had the world at her feet, hit rock bottom and managed to get back on top. A great read.

How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu.

Really good. I like that most of the characters are linked in some way. Loses it's way a wee bit towards the end but not enough to take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Edit: Just read something the clarifies the ending, which I hadn't fully picked up. I take back saying it loses it's way, it's actually a fantastic ending.

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

3 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu.

Really good. I like that most of the characters are linked in some way. Loses it's way a wee bit towards the end but not enough to take away from my enjoyment of the book.

Edit: Just read something the clarifies the ending, which I hadn't fully picked up. I take back saying it loses it's way, it's actually a fantastic ending.

Do you sleep Craig, between drinking, reading and trawling round public parks looking for football matches, there can't  be much time?