Last Book You Read....

H_B

Kill them all by John Niven.

Very good and very sick - humour doesn’t come much blacker. Not recommended for the easily offended or Wacko Jacko fans 

Also started reading John Sandford Lucas Davenport series. Very addictive and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it adapted for TV. 

On 05/02/2022 at 23:10, btb said:

Marian Keyes has a new "Rachel" book out, altho most of her work is chick lit  she does adress topics like domestic abuse & addiction plus unless she's had work done or the photos have been touched up she's in good nick for 58 (same age as me)...

See the source image

Have a look at the recent bbc "Imagine" documentary with her. Bit arty production but she comes across well and with an interesting story of her own life. Don't know her books though and the damning "chicklit" tag doesn't encourage me much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013w78/imagine-2022-1-marian-keyes-my-not-so-perfect-life  

Star Wars The High Republic: Mission to Disaster by Justina Ireland. It's a kids book, so it's not particularly deep, but it's a good fun wee story and an enjoyable enough read. I'm trying to read the whole series, so the kids books are part of that.

Wandered into Cancer Research shop at Newington today on a whim and found Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy for £7.
I hope I get through them before I drop off my perch..........
ETA- I do realise this should be in the 'Your Next Book' thread...... but there isn't one.

4 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Wandered into Cancer Research shop at Newington today on a whim and found Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy for £7.
I hope I get through them before I drop off my perch..........
ETA- I do realise this should be in the 'Your Next Book' thread...... but there isn't one.

I listened to these on audio last year. First two - great, tightly written. The third I found too long and long-winded - it just shambled aimlessly through a litany of minor characters’ dramas before rushing through Henry VIII marrying the German wife and Cromwell getting offed. In the end, I was glad to see him go! No idea how close it all was to the historical Thomas Cromwell, whom the movies show as a devious b*****d. I didn’t feel moved by his downfall and thought he deserved all he got, but that might because of how tedious the third book had got.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Is this in any way connected to your post on female urethral sounding ?

I've never attended A&E to have a foreign object removed from my genitalia!

Finished The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larsen, this is about a year with Winston Churchill during the Blitz. Larsen is an excellent researcher and it reads like a novel a lot of the time. Don’t think this is quite as gripping as Devil In The White City or his book on the Lusitania but still very good.

Was looking for a fun, easy to read crime novel and just started The Darker Arts by Oscar de Muriel. Had never heard of the Frey and McGray series but they have good ratings on Goodreads. Have enjoyed the start and looking forward to finding a new series to get into.

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Given its subject, I'm sure it was meant to be a relentless slog, and it was.  

Big themes and ideas abound, but I didn't find the prose as impressive as I'm apparently supposed to, going by reviews.