Last Book You Read....

H_B

13 minutes ago, moniton said:

Yes, with a stoical nature I read the whole lot. Enjoyed the first part, with the boys breaking into the ball game but it was a no from me.

No fucking way would I read a 1000 page book if I wasn't enjoying it.

I would have patched it.

Yes, with a stoical nature I read the whole lot. Enjoyed the first part, with the boys breaking into the ball game but it was a no from me.
I often quit books part way through if I think they're shite. The latest victim was Nostromo by Joseph Conrad, 120 pages or so was enough for me. No point wasting time on something you're not enjoying.

I finished "Dune" recently. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Are the sequels worth checking out? I'm tempted to pick up "Messiah".

Even more recently I finished "The Expendable Man" by Dorothy Hughes. Really terrific. A 100% certified page-turner; I was totally pulled in and fired through it in two or three nights. I think I might have preferred it to "In A Lonely Place".

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

I finish every book I start (now I think about it, I don’t really know why) except for Catch 22 - given up on it twice.

I'm the same, the only book I've ever willingly ditched is Catch 22.  Just couldn't get into it - a load of rambling nonsense.

A major major major major disappointment.

18 hours ago, yoda said:

I finished "Dune" recently. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Are the sequels worth checking out? I'm tempted to pick up "Messiah".

Even more recently I finished "The Expendable Man" by Dorothy Hughes. Really terrific. A 100% certified page-turner; I was totally pulled in and fired through it in two or three nights. I think I might have preferred it to "In A Lonely Place".

Worth reading the second at least to see how it subverts the white saviour trope that people were losing the head about a few months back. 

Whether you read the rest depends on whether you want to see how weird it gets. Definitely stop at the Frank Herbert books though don't read the ones written by his son.

2 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Am about a third of the way through it and loving it as well. Had heard very good things from a lot of people.

It was one of those books that was a page turner for me. I went through it quite quickly because I always wanted to see what would happen next.

15 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Worth reading the second at least to see how it subverts the white saviour trope that people were losing the head about a few months back. 

Whether you read the rest depends on whether you want to see how weird it gets. Definitely stop at the Frank Herbert books though don't read the ones written by his son.

Awesome I'll pick up the second one and take it from there.