Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie - nothing more I can say about give author, he is simply at the top of his game - this might be his best one yet.

Halfway through Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. Heard the author on the Adam Buxton podcast and found him very interesting. This is a book about the disappearance of mother of 10 Jean McConville in Belfast in 1972. Very well written so far about a period of history I don’t know too well (despite having loads of mates from N.I). It’s very good and will find his book on the Sakler family next.

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Just finished Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie - nothing more I can say about give author, he is simply at the top of his game - this might be his best one yet.

Halfway through Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. Heard the author on the Adam Buxton podcast and found him very interesting. This is a book about the disappearance of mother of 10 Jean McConville in Belfast in 1972. Very well written so far about a period of history I don’t know too well (despite having loads of mates from N.I). It’s very good and will find his book on the Sakler family next.

Say Nothing was fantastic. Absolutely fascinating and really well written.

13 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

I have the Keefe book sat in an Amazon locker for me to collect this morning.

Just finished Bob Mortimer’s auto-biography ‘And Away’, a real contrast; tales of laughter and sorrowful recollections in equal measure, just like the rest of us I guess. Sometimes racked with self doubt and genuinely self effacing but warm and generous. Probably what makes Bob such a likeable down to earth chap. An easy, worthwhile & recommended read. 
7A6412A0-14BD-48CA-97F6-3D88CCDDF209.thumb.jpeg.77a9f1e0023584166904de59d0409967.jpeg

Just finished Bob Mortimer’s auto-biography ‘And Away’, a real contrast; tales of laughter and sorrowful recollections in equal measure, just like the rest of us I guess. Sometimes racked with self doubt and genuinely self effacing but warm and generous. Probably what makes Bob such a likeable down to earth chap. An easy, worthwhile & recommended read. 
7A6412A0-14BD-48CA-97F6-3D88CCDDF209.thumb.jpeg.77a9f1e0023584166904de59d0409967.jpeg

I've just about finished this. Really enjoying it - is good to read about his journey into comedy, and kind of get confirmation that he's one of life's good guys. As is Paul Whitehouse, btw.

ETA: Mrs WRK got me this for Christmas. I'd asked for this, or the memoirs by Dave Grohl or Bobby Gillespie. Bless her, she got me all three. Sometimes, it's almost worth the daily lunacy..

On 06/11/2021 at 14:04, scottsdad said:

The Dark Remains by William McIlvanney and Ian Rankin. 

A Laidlaw book started by McIlvanney before he died, and finished by Rankin now. Very good. I often find McIlvanneys books a touch dense and inaccessible. This is much easier to get in to. Much more of a Rankin book. Almost a Rebus book with the names switched around. 

I finished this about two weeks ago and found it an enjoyable read, probably due to Rankin's involvement.

Started reading Strange Loyalties about a week ago and really struggling to get into it. Tempted to read something else and come back to this later

His story about meeting Sinead O'Connor is brilliant.

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

I finished this about two weeks ago and found it an enjoyable read, probably due to Rankin's involvement.

Started reading Strange Loyalties about a week ago and really struggling to get into it. Tempted to read something else and come back to this later

Try Laidlaw first. 

Devils Bargain - Steve Bannon, Donald Trump and the storming of the presidency.

It's mostly about the Trump campaign and the run up to the election, although also goes into detail on Bannon's background and how he got to where he did etc.  No matter what you think of his politics, the guy is a genius and knows what makes people tick.  He looked into data and tapped into sections of society that others would never think of.

Before that, I'd read 'Unleashing Demons' by Craig Oliver who was David Cameron's main aide for the Remain campaign.  A fascinating insight as to the goings on in the run up to the EU referendum.  They really didn't expect to lose at all.

6 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

Before that, I'd read 'Unleashing Demons' by Craig Oliver who was David Cameron's main aide for the Remain campaign.  A fascinating insight as to the goings on in the run up to the EU referendum.  They really didn't expect to lose at all.

Even Farage didn't think Leave would win.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Even Farage didn't think Leave would win.

Correct.  Everyone underestimated them.

Even Scotland voted 38% Leave whereas opinion polling was showing as 33% at the highest and 19% at the lowest.  No one expected us Scots to turn out for Leave in such large numbers.

On 31/12/2021 at 22:37, Craig the Hunter said:

Say Nothing was fantastic. Absolutely fascinating and really well written.

I started this today, and I can't see myself going to sleep before I've finished it. Outstanding writting.

Fireprint by Geoffrey Jenkins. 

A bit of an odd book. The first half was very enjoyable, two main characters doing their thing in South Africa. Secret bases, nuclear weapons, assassinations, and so on...then half way through these two main characters get kidnapped and spend the rest of the book tied up in a cave while we follow the kidnapper doing his thing.  Really sucked the life out of the book. 

No idea what to read next. 

9 minutes ago, moniton said:

Underworld by Don DeLillo - did not enjoy this at all. A rambling, sprawling mess that got nowhere slowly, not the "Great American Novel" as promised on the cover. 2/10

Now onto "The Young Team" by Graeme Armstrong. 

Did you read 1000 pages even though you weren't enjoying it?

It's a classic btw.