Last Book You Read....

H_B

18 hours ago, Antlion said:

Finishing Ken Follett’s mammoth “Fall of Giants”, set around and during the First World War. Like all of his big epics, it’s a story of various characters and families whose paths cross (too conveniently, in this case) against a big, glossy historical backdrop.

I have to say, it was, like his others, a really easy read. However, I can’t see why he is so lauded as a historical novelist. Throughout, the characters (fun and cartoonish as they were) felt and spoke in ways that never made it *feel* like you were watching folk in the 1910s. It felt more like a soapy, softcore Downton Abbey - lots of references to historical events but “modern” characters who felt more like they were acting against a backdrop rather than authentically part of a historical world.

Does anyone have suggestions for novels set in this period that capture the feeling of it (and its people) more authentically? Interesting era but I’d like something more immersive than superficial.

I really enjoyed "Mr American" by George McDonald Fraser (author of the "Flashman" series). Mainly set in the 1900-1910 period, I reckon it's pretty authentic (and, like a lot of GMF's work, subliminally educational). The only slightly jarring note for me is that of a secondary American character, who seems a bit pre-fab to me.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I really enjoyed "Mr American" by George McDonald Fraser (author of the "Flashman" series). Mainly set in the 1900-1910 period, I reckon it's pretty authentic (and, like a lot of GMF's work, subliminally educational). The only slightly jarring note for me is that of a secondary American character, who seems a bit pre-fab to me.

Excellent - haven’t read it so will have a look. Ta!

As far as historical novels go, I enjoyed all of Julian Rathbone’s efforts. Especially The Last English King and Kings of Albion, which covers the era between the Norman invasion and wars of the roses. Also Mutiny, which covers the colonial wars in India in the mid 1800s

Just finished Roadside Picnic as I fancied a break from the Sally Rooney novels.

Really good. Pensive and philosophical. I was quite surprised over how much of the novel is spent outside of the Zone but its existence permeates every facet of the novel and I found those moments where characters like Red and Noonan are existing outside as engaging as those spent in the eerie and unsettling landscape of the Zone. 

The best bits of the book for me were anything involving Valentine Pillman who is responsible for the title and posing some of the most interesting philosophical questions for the concept. The idea of the alien visit being a roadside picnic for them is so good.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Just finished Roadside Picnic as I fancied a break from the Sally Rooney novels.

Really good. Pensive and philosophical. I was quite surprised over how much of the novel is spent outside of the Zone but its existence permeates every facet of the novel and I found those moments where characters like Red and Noonan are existing outside as engaging as those spent in the eerie and unsettling landscape of the Zone. 

The best bits of the book for me were anything involving Valentine Pillman who is responsible for the title and posing some of the most interesting philosophical questions for the concept. The idea of the alien visit being a roadside picnic for them is so good.

Re Sally Rooney, is the BBC adaptation of Normal People worth a watch do you think? Got a pile of books to get through for various reasons so a TV version would be better at the mo for an intro.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Re Sally Rooney, is the BBC adaptation of Normal People worth a watch do you think? Got a pile of books to get through for various reasons so a TV version would be better at the mo for an intro.

Haven't watched it yet but have heard a lot of people say aye.

Darkness At Noon by Arthur Koestler.  (4 out of 5)

In a time when extremist ideology, cancel culture and the suppression of free speech are increasingly subjects of the day this novel seems apposite.

Rubashov is one of the original fathers of the Revolution and has spent 30 years of his life serving the Party.  However one evening he is arrested on mystery charges and sent to solitary confinement in a grim prison block.  There he is interrogated by his old friend Ivanov  and Gletkin, a younger and more brutal product of the regime, who compete to produce Rubashov's confession.

An excellent reminder of how ideology not only destroys individuals and freedom but also inevitably eats it's own originators and followers.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

The Sea Break by Antony Trew. 

A caper set in World War 2. A group of South African naval officers hatch a plan to steal a German merchant vessel. 

I really wanted to enjoy it but just didn't. Couldn't get into the characters. The pace was lumpy - very slow for ages, then everything happens in a couple of pages, then slow again. As for the ending, it was rank. 

Spoiler

The last two pages can be summed up as "And then a warship showed up and blew them out of the water. Most of the characters died. The End."

Am now onto book #4 of the Conqueror series by Conn Iggledun, still enjoying them- so easy to read.

Finished Mike Tyson’s autobiography. Was great for the first 3/4 but then the constant drinking, blow, shagging tales got a bit tiring.

A Last English Summer by Duncan Hamilton. A diary of his travels visiting various English cricket grounds. He was a bit old fashioned but I still enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Am now onto book #4 of the Conqueror series by Conn Iggledun, still enjoying them- so easy to read.

Finished Mike Tyson’s autobiography. Was great for the first 3/4 but then the constant drinking, blow, shagging tales for a bit tiring.

A Last English Summer by Duncan Hamilton. A diary of his travels visiting various English cricket grounds. He was a bit old fashioned but I still enjoyed it.

My mum read Sydney Devine's autobiography and said the same thing. Put her right off him. 

On 30/10/2021 at 22:21, Ya Bezzer! said:

Darkness At Noon by Arthur Koestler.  (4 out of 5)

In a time when extremist ideology, cancel culture and the suppression of free speech are increasingly subjects of the day this novel seems apposite.

Rubashov is one of the original fathers of the Revolution and has spent 30 years of his life serving the Party.  However one evening he is arrested on mystery charges and sent to solitary confinement in a grim prison block.  There he is interrogated by his old friend Ivanov  and Gletkin, a younger and more brutal product of the regime, who compete to produce Rubashov's confession.

An excellent reminder of how ideology not only destroys individuals and freedom but also inevitably eats it's own originators and followers.

Do you think Koestler was ideology free?

Black Leopard, Red Wolf

Marlon James

He’s quite open about being as inspired by cinema and tv as he is by other authors and this is his “African Game of Thrones”. He grew up reading very white fantasy novels and wanted to give the world and African version.

I don’t think it’s in the same league as his other massive book, (Brief History of Seven Killings). Felt a bit like he was writing it in order for someone to pick it up and turn it into a tv show. 

On 29/10/2021 at 00:06, welshbairn said:

I watched the TV series when it was broadcast, shortly after the first Covid lockdown.   Later, I read the book.  To be honest,

the book seemed a little sparse and 'bare bones' for me.  The writing style.  

I thought the TV adaptation was wonderful,  faithful to the book, sensitively acted, and the kind of thing I wish had been around when I was a youngster.

Many authors, while taking the money for selling the film rights to their books, moan loudly about what the film makers subsequently do with their stories.

Rooney, though,  has said she was very happy with the TV series.