Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished To Kill A Mockingbird  during my nightshift last night.

It had been on my bookshelf for a few years and I had never read it - despite it being one of those books you always hear about.

Sadly, a lot of the themes of the novel are still relevant today.

Not reading but listening. Michael Lewis' latest "The Premonition" about the US response to Covid19 and some of the people involved is on YouTube for free as an audiobook atm. (Not sure how long it'll stay up.)
Very interesting, follows the same trusted format he used with "The Big Short".

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Enjoyed it, dark and funny in almost equal measure. More poignant with the knowledge that it was written shortly before the author killed herself.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Finished To Kill A Mockingbird  during my nightshift last night.

It had been on my bookshelf for a few years and I had never read it - despite it being one of those books you always hear about.

Sadly, a lot of the themes of the novel are still relevant today.

Outstanding book. I have never seen the movie, and wouldn't want to. I don't see how it could be better than, or equal to, the book.

Bunce’s Big Fat Short History of British Boxing

Audiobook. About 17hrs of anecdotes from each year from 1970 to now. A really enjoyable sports book. Some tragedy, some thrills, but mainly amusing and informative. Bunce does 5 Live’s boxing summaries and also pops up on BT and Channel 5. Knows his stuff and was ringside for so much of it too. 

Just finished RTE's epic dramatisation of James Joyce's Ulysses. It's 30 hours long, so something to savour over a few weeks. If you've already read the book, it's fantastic - really brings it to life. And if you haven't, it's worth giving it a try.

jj.png.6b2eb1862e9bece2f5315b4dc46d7caf.png

^^^ last book you heard thread for this pish ^^^ 

I've started The Book Thief. I'm really enjoying it so far. Having Death as the narrator is pretty unique. 
Is that what's going on? I bought it in another language I'm trying to learn but I bit off more than I could chew and gave up after a couple of chapters.

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:
On 01/06/2021 at 19:42, Richey Edwards said:
I've started The Book Thief. I'm really enjoying it so far. Having Death as the narrator is pretty unique. 

Is that what's going on? I bought it in another language I'm trying to learn but I bit off more than I could chew and gave up after a couple of chapters.

You should try it in English. You might like it better.

I rattled through just under half of the book in a single sitting. It was one of those books were "just one more chapter" kept happening, because I wanted to find out what happened next.

I haven't read anymore yet because I am nightshift tonight, saturday and sunday and want to save the rest of the book for that.

I don't get Kafka. I don't think he's profound or especially nice to read.
I don't think he's a great writer. He had good ideas though. Now those ideas are no longer fresh there's not much reason to read him. In the Penal Colony was decent though.

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

People love to dunk on the Humanities but a world with only STEM grads would be enormously stupid.

Not stupid enough to assume that a cranky attention seeking contrarian represents the views of all sci/tech types. 

Try this:

https://www.lindahall.org/franz-kafka/

(never fancied reading kafka myself, i always assumed it's all a bit black polo neck for me)

The Trial is a great book. Top tier stuff.

Definitely in my all time top five. The fact that people who have never read him know and use the term ‘kafkaesque’ speaks to his enduring impact.
The final line in that book has to be among the best final lines ever.