Last Book You Read....

H_B

Have you read American Gods? It's fantastic, I would recommend Neverwhere as well.
Not read either of them.

I've read Stardust which I'd didn't think was up to much either. One of the few exceptions were I thought the movie was better than the book.

Enjoyed Good Omens but that was Co-written with Terry Pratchett and fairly similar to a Discworld book.

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
10 hours ago, Gnash said:
The film is nowhere near as good as the book.

As soon as I saw John C Reilly in the trailer, I suspected as much.

The film is pretty good. Not a particularly easy watch, and not one you'll be rushing back to, but a good film.

Anyone else missing a good visit to a second hand bookshop? Probably because I'm running out of books, but I really want to go and spend £50 in Caledonia in Glasgow. Shite that I can't.

I stupidly signed up to Verso’s monthly subscription service despite having a virtual library of like 200 books

24 minutes ago, yoda said:

The film is pretty good. Not a particularly easy watch, and not one you'll be rushing back to, but a good film.

Have you read the book?  I read the book first and thought it was superb, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the film as I had such high expectations from the book.

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I need a physical book, I am partly ashamed to say. I have a handful of books I will pay full whack for in the new year but very much missing my trips to 2nd hand shops.

Nah, I get it. I'm glad I can read on ereaders for convenience but there is a certain buzz about finding a specific book for nothing on a dusty shelf.

10 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Have you read the book?  I read the book first and thought it was superb, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the film as I had such high expectations from the book.

This isn't aimed at you is more just my chance to air a particular grievance but I struggle to take on board the opinion of "the books are better" for most things because I feel the people usually saying this don't think any film or TV adaptation is better than the original book.

Then again I'm the philistine who prefers anime dubs to anime subs so I should be tried in the Hague.

Anyone else missing a good visit to a second hand bookshop? Probably because I'm running out of books, but I really want to go and spend £50 in Caledonia in Glasgow. Shite that I can't.
I am lucky so have been able to use my school's library which has a great selection. I have totally turned from being a Kindle convert to reading more when I have physical books.

Alexander Watson - The Fortress

Waited for the paperback version because f**k that - a very readable account of the siege of Przemysl during the First World War. The Eastern Front, as usual, proving the far more interesting theatre of European war than the trench foot and poetry, wah wah nonsense in western Europe.

Good to have further confirmation that Conrad von Hotzendorff (Austrian chief of staff) was the most dangerously moronic person in Europe in 1914. Very much the Jonatan Johannson figure of The First World War.

Finally got round to finishing the Marlowe books (or at least the main novels as I've not read Playback). They're great fun. I love Chandler's turn of phrase.

2020 was not a great year for getting through books, particularly after I fired through a lot of stuff in the previous couple of years. The pile for 2021 keeps growing and I've added Stephanie Kelton's The Deficit Myth and Kate Raworth's Doughnut Economics to the top of it. 

On 21/12/2020 at 17:47, MixuFruit said:

I need a physical book, I am partly ashamed to say. I have a handful of books I will pay full whack for in the new year but very much missing my trips to 2nd hand shops.

If you know what you're looking for then the Abebooks site is worth trying. AFAIK they are friendly for independents but certainly have tons of second hand stock at decent prices. Some of the Wigtown bookstores have got an online presence as well but their catalogues can be patchy.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

What did we all get reading wise for Christmas then?

I got Knausgaard's Spring and Norman Cohn's The Pursuit of the Millennium and bought myself Alex Branson's Water, Wasted

A bit low-brow compared to yours, but I've reached a point where I can only concentrate on autobiography or music/football histories.

I love this guy's weekly cartoons in The Guardian. Funny, political and beautifully drawn.

Also got "Motherwell"  the Deborah Orr autobiography after enjoying the radio serialisation.

20201231_091912.jpg