Last Book You Read....

H_B

Finished "Little Man, What Now?" by Hans Fallada. A story about a struggling young couple set in pre-WW2 Germany. 

Now reading "Nightmare In Berlin" by the same author, set immediately after the war. A semi-autobiographical novel about a formerly well-known writer who had been blacklisted by the Nazis. He and his wife return to the ruined Berlin in an attempt to "start a new life". I'm about half-way through and it's been a good read.

I've read a few of Fallada's books and he sure can spin a good yarn. I'd recommend checking him out if any of you are interested in historical novels of that era.

Using this lockdown to get through some book i got for xmas.  So far finished Junky by William Burroughs and Child of God by Cormac McCarthy which were both incredibly grim but utterly gripping and beautifully written.   Seize the Day by Saul Bellows which i found pretty dull to be honest.  

Just started Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell which i'm loving then will follow that up with Skagboys.

So basically plenty of drugs, violence, poverty...... and a guy buying a paper and having breakfast

Edited by the aggressive beggar

1 hour ago, the aggressive beggar said:

Using this lockdown to get through some book i got for xmas.  So far finished Junky by William Burroughs and Child of God by Cormac McCarthy which were both incredibly grim but utterly gripping and beautifully written.   Seize the Day by Saul Bellows which i found pretty dull to be honest.  

Just started Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell which i'm loving then will follow that up with Skagboys.

So basically plenty of drugs, violence, poverty...... and a guy buying a paper and having breakfast

Years since I’ve read Down and Out in Paris and London.  Great book.

1 hour ago, the aggressive beggar said:

So far finished Junky by William Burroughs and Child of God by Cormac McCarthy which were both incredibly grim but utterly gripping and beautifully written.  

Some parts of Child Of God are absolutely repulsive. I might try to reread Suttree this year, I think that's his best book.

29 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Some parts of Child Of God are absolutely repulsive. I might try to reread Suttree this year, I think that's his best book.

Suttree is the next book i'm buying after i saw a list online which put Suttree as his best work, i find it hard to believe he wrote something better than Blood Meridian so i'm really looking forward to reading it.

It's very different to Blood Meridian. I loved them both but Suttree has more depth to it than Blood Meridian which is just about violence. It's heavy going though in terms of language and length. Everything he has written is worth reading. The Border Trilogy is amazing as well.

I'm currently reading Kieron Smith Boy and usual with Kelman I'm overwhelmed. The great unrecognised Scottish genius. When I finish this it's on to Flaubert's Bouvard and Pecuchet.

On 16/04/2020 at 23:29, Florentine_Pogen said:

Recently started 'The Histories' by Herodotus.

It's different. 😷

It's pretty amazing that Herodotus was closer to us in time than the Egyptian monuments he describes were to him.

I'm a Thucydides man though.  Thucydides explains tsunamis, volcanoes and all but says belief in the Gods is hay chewing bumpkin stuff.  Herodotus thinks statues come alive and defeat the Persians....

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree 100%. I got hold of Kindle versions of just about everything old Eric produced, and dip in and out between other reading. He never disappoints.

I think he critiques the British (English) lower middle classes between the wars in a way that gives an insight into how economic and social repression was able to thrive.

Keep The Aspidistra Flying and Coming Up For Air particularly good examples. 

20 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
On 18/04/2020 at 14:41, Granny Danger said:

Agree 100%. I got hold of Kindle versions of just about everything old Eric produced, and dip in and out between other reading. He never disappoints.

I've only read 1984 and Animal Farm. I've always meant to explore more of his work. What would be best to read next?

3 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

I've only read 1984 and Animal Farm. I've always meant to explore more of his work. What would be best to read next?

Literally any of them (no pun intended).

As well as those mentioned The Road To Wigan Pier is a good read.  Less of a novel but very informative and thought provoking.

Some of his essays are worth a dabble, but the above (Wigan Pier or Down and Out) are both superb. Basically, anything. The man was a genius.

Yes, I am a big fan.

I absolutely hated 1984 when we had to read it in English class at school.
Read it by choice many years later and absolutely loved it.

I wonder how many people have missed out on great reads for the exact same reason

I wonder how many people have missed out on great reads for the exact same reason

Sunset Song was a chore at school.

58 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I only ever genuinely enjoyed two books that I read at school - Of Mice And Men and The Outsiders.

I appreciate that schools try to encourage things like textual analysis and interpretation of symbolism etc - but in the process much of the "interpretation" is rigidly force-fed in order to conform to academic criteria. This ruins the enjoyment of reading a book and interpreting the text for yourself.

That's just my opinion though. Other people may have had better experiences of reading in English class.

2 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

I only ever genuinely enjoyed two books that I read at school - Of Mice And Men and The Outsiders.

I appreciate that schools try to encourage things like textual analysis and interpretation of symbolism etc - but in the process much of the "interpretation" is rigidly force-fed in order to conform to academic criteria. This ruins the enjoyment of reading a book and interpreting the text for yourself.

That's just my opinion though. Other people may have had better experiences of reading in English class.

I don’t consider myself a literary person but I have read all of Steinbeck’s novels.  Of Mice and Men is good but nothing near his best.

In Dubious Battle is a brilliant book and Cannery Row is one of the most descriptive books I have read.  Grapes of Wrath is another epic read.

I didn't enjoy is autobiography, I think I gave up about half way through. 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t consider myself a literary person but I have read all of Steinbeck’s novels.  Of Mice and Men is good but nothing near his best.

In Dubious Battle is a brilliant book and Cannery Row is one of the most descriptive books I have read.  Grapes of Wrath is another epic read.

I didn't enjoy is autobiography, I think I gave up about half way through. 

Oh, it is definitely not his best novel. Grapes Of Wrath and East Of Eden are better.

I haven't read In Dubious Battle or Cannery Row, but they can be added to my ever growing "to read" list.