Jump to content
H_B

Last Book You Read....

Recommended Posts

How Not To Be a Boy. Robert Webb.

Enjoyed it a lot, but got him a bit confused with Jez a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against The United States" - Jeffery Lewis - An alternative history (albeit very likely) imagining of how a nuclear attack on the US might play out. The author is  well versed in nuclear technology and geopolitics, so it isn't hyperbole. President Trump is on the 18th tee at Mar-A-Lago when the first missiles are detected over the Pacific. The book is informative, with some black humour thrown in. A great easy read for anyone with a passing interest of current events. 

Edited by jamieson87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 12:16, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I haven't read Dead Mans Shoes but, aside from the obvious book, I remember enjoying Filth, Glue and Porno very much. Welsh is one of the few writers that have made me genuinely laugh like f**k.

The Blade Artist (I think it was out about a year before) is a bit like an accompanying piece to Dead Man's Shoes following Begbie in his new career. Has he turned over a new leaf? 

Some very funny stuff in Dead Mans Shoes. Sick Boy's morals leave a lot to be desired but lead to some scandalous scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Blade Artist (I think it was out about a year before) is a bit like an accompanying piece to Dead Man's Shoes following Begbie in his new career. Has he turned over a new leaf? 

Oh I've read that too. It was decent. I take it Dead Mens Trousers picks up were Blade Artist ends?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Oh I've read that too. It was decent. I take it Dead Mens Trousers picks up were Blade Artist ends?

 

 

It's more of a final piece to Trainspotting, with plenty of Renton, Sick Boy, Spud, Juice Terry etc. They're not sure if Begbie is really reformed or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It's more of a final piece to Trainspotting, with plenty of Renton, Sick Boy, Spud, Juice Terry etc. They're not sure if Begbie is really reformed or not...

I've not read it but I'm going to hazard a guess and say

Spoiler

He isn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished "The Long Take" by Robin Robertson this morning. Took a wee bit to get into the style of it, but was a tremendous book and was quite disappointed when I finished it that there wasn't another few hundred pages still left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway. 

One of my absolute favourite books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished “Minority Report” by Philip K Dick today. It’s a book of short stories, two of which were adapted into the movies “minority report” and “total recall”. 

I think that PKD has some good ideas for stories, but isn’t necessarily that good a writer, or maybe I just don’t like short stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prussian Blue by Philip Kerr

Dual story, nicely linked - enjoyed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Past Tense by Lee Child. Very much a book written to meet a publishers deadline.
Almost a parody of Jack Reacher, if that makes sense. Enjoyable guff all the same I suppose. Last few books I read have been biographies of Meatloaf (seems like a nice enough guy), Jimmy Page (weird, debauched but driven), and Robert Plant (seems like a decent guy despite the debauchery). John Bonham doesn't come out of either book as the sort of guy you'd want to meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently nearly finished listening to Pet Sematary and reading A Legacy of Spies (John Le Carre).

Pet Sematary is really bleak and miserable. I'd never fancied it as I thought it was going to be a silly knockabout thing with zombie hamsters etc. Instead it's family strife, trucks running over pets/kids/students. Enjoying it but not the cheeriest!

I've seen a few Le Carre film adaptations but never got any audiobooks as I don't like any of the narrators but was given a copy of A Legacy of Spies. So glad I picked it up as I can see why James Ellroy rates him so highly and obviously borrows heavily from his style. There's not an ounce of fat in it. He conveys so much with so few words. Really knocked out by how well written it is.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read Manhunt, by Colin Sutton over the weekend.  Was written by the SIO during the Amelie Delagrange murder on Twickenham Green in 2004.  The investigation subsequently led the Police to Levi Bellfield, and uncovered two further murders, including that of Milly Dowler in 2002.  

The story was gripping, but I didn't have an awful lot of love for Sutton.  He came across as incredibly pompous and arrogant at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Adam said:

Read Manhunt, by Colin Sutton over the weekend.  Was written by the SIO during the Amelie Delagrange murder on Twickenham Green in 2004.  The investigation subsequently led the Police to Levi Bellfield, and uncovered two further murders, including that of Milly Dowler in 2002.  

The story was gripping, but I didn't have an awful lot of love for Sutton.  He came across as incredibly pompous and arrogant at times.

Any relation...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Currently nearly finished listening to Pet Sematary and reading A Legacy of Spies (John Le Carre).

Pet Sematary is really bleak and miserable. I'd never fancied it as I thought it was going to be a silly knockabout thing with zombie hamsters etc. Instead it's family strife, trucks running over pets/kids/students. Enjoying it but not the cheeriest!

I've seen a few Le Carre film adaptations but never got any audiobooks as I don't like any of the narrators but was given a copy of A Legacy of Spies. So glad I picked it up as I can see why James Ellroy rates him so highly and obviously borrows heavily from his style. There's not an ounce of fat in it. He conveys so much with so few words. Really knocked out by how well written it is.  

 

 

I think Pet Sematary is great, shite film(s) though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up “All the Beautiful Lies” by Peter Swanson, in Basel airport this morning. Taken around 4 hours of reading to get through it. Very predictable and a bit too “American”, for want of a better description. Be surprised if I bother reading anything else of his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Prussian Blue by Philip Kerr

Dual story, nicely linked - enjoyed it

Reminds me that I want to get hold of the Berlin Noir trilogy, his first three books. I love the Bernie Gunther novels and have read most of them but not the first 3. Picked up a compilation of the 3 in Melbourne a while back but it was too big to take with me, so ended up not buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished “The Sparrow” last night after Mrs Maths begging me to read it for yonks. I was not impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...