Last Book You Read....

H_B

I bought this for Kindle after having read your recommend and enjoying the first couple of chapters free (as you get with all Kindle books). But gave up about half way through.

I might try a sample of his other stuff though.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, it's not his best book but I thought it was OK.

If you're going to try another of his books my personal favourite is A Dirty Job.

Could someone please tell me the name of the book a few of you guys have been reading? I think it was set post ww2 with a German victory, set in America somewhere?

Cheers

Working my way through the translated Leif Persson novels.

As with Nesbo, disappointingly the English translations are mid-series.

Absolutely brilliant though. Apparently one is being turned into a US TV Series starring Rainn Wilson from "The Office".

Started to get into reading at last. I'm just starting off at the pace of one book a month to ease myself into it.

Tartan Special One 7/10

Trainspotting 8/10

The Catcher in the Rye 7.5/10

Currently working my way through Gaiman's American Gods due to the previous book being such a short read. It's been very promising so far.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I'm currently trying to get through Reyner Banham's "Theory and Design in the First Machine Age".

He's a verbose fecker but worth the effort.

Oh, and forgot that I downloaded for free from the NASA website Boris Chertok's 4-volume "Rockets and People". Fascinating history of rocketry and The Space Race in the former Soviet Union.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished "Return of a King" by William Dalrymple. It's the factual historical events surrounding the first Battle for Afghanistan and the subsequent massacre of the retreating troops and associated persons (ie wives, traders and camp followers). An absolute cracking read. Maybe the powers that be should have brushed up on their history before sending the troops in this time. 10/10

Just finished reading The Strain trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I'd quite a gap between the first and second, but read the last two one immediately after the other. Probably better to read them all in one go.

The first one sets up the story, an aeroplane lands at JFK airport in New York, and it is found that apart from 4 survivors, everyone on board is dead, drained of blood.

This is investigated by a doctor from the CDC, who finds himself up against vampires and a host of humans on their payroll working to bring about eternal night and a final solution to human existence.

It's a really good trilogy and is being turned into a TV series which will be on FX later in the year.

The Strain

The Fall

The Night Eternal

7/10.

DelToroTrilogy.jpg

Michel Faber - Under The Skin

I was intrigued by the film when I watched it a few weeks ago and decided to buy the book. Very good, completely original, unlike anything I've read before. It's an intelligent read but slightly trashy and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Well worth checking out, even if you didn't enjoy the film.

Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks

Probably the best of Iain Banks Sci Fi Culture novels that Ive read so far, it was quite confusing at first as there are two different timelines running as alternate chapters but I soon figured out what was going on.....well at least some of what was going on as this book has quite the twist. Its about an merc working for the Culture who does their dirty work by causing wars, winning wars or even losing wars depending on how the Culture wish to influence a civilisation but this particular agent has a very mysterious past. 9/10

I enjoyed this so much Ive already started Excession.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Comrade Valentine - Richard E Rubenstein

A really good biography on Imperial russia's biggest terrorist/ police spy, It was genuinly interesting to learn about how a man can happily inform on his fellow terrorists leading to their arrest, imprisionment and excecution but at the same time keep the fact he was organising the terror out of the knowledge of the secret police.

10/10

Michel Faber - Under The Skin

I was intrigued by the film when I watched it a few weeks ago and decided to buy the book. Very good, completely original, unlike anything I've read before. It's an intelligent read but slightly trashy and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Well worth checking out, because you probably didn't enjoy the film.

Fixed it for you!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone read john dies at the end? Probably the craziest thing ive ever read. Cant wait to see the film

I got about a quarter of the way through it and just couldn't enjoy it. I might go back to it.

I've just started on the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, having read TGWTDT and TGWPWF on holiday, having never seen any of the movies. I loved the first book and thoroughly enjoyed the second as well. A very intricate and well balanced story with so much going on at the same time. Lisbeth Salander is a brilliantly complex and well thought out character as well.

A bit unsettling to see that the publishing company who own the rights to the Millennium trilogy have given the green light for the series to continue under new unrelated authorship as they own Larsson's intellectual property due to his never having married his long term girlfriend (who, apparently would be well suited to continue writing the series as she had both a major input in story/character development AND knew what general path SL wanted to take the series). It would be interesting to see not only how the writing styles differ, but how the fans of the trilogy would take to the books under completely unrelated authorship.

Finished Irvine Welsh's recent release, "The Sex Lives of Siamese Twins". Common theme from Welsh in term of one of the central threads being repression of bad memories and the resultant effect on the emotions/lifestyle/decisions of a central character, but nothing like as good as some of his previous efforts. Fairly disappointing to be honest.

Regards the post above and the publishers releasing new stuff under Larsson's name. There are a shit load of Robert Ludlum "Bourne" books that were released in the same way, and more still being released I think. From the few I have read they are incredibly poor compared to the stuff that was written by Ludlum.

I am still on the historical kick and having worked my way through the 2nd World War have now started on the 1st. Was in hospital this week for a wee procedure and picked up Max Hastings 'Catastrophe, Europe goes to war 1914' What with anaesthetic, continual BP checks, and all else I am only 100 pages in but it's absolutely fascinating. Really enjoying it so far.