Last Book You Read....

H_B

Ken Follet Code To Zero

Set in the late 50s about a plot to sabotage an American satellite launch.

Was a freebie from the book cart when I was in hospital last week, easy read, decent enough plot, finished it in 2 days (not a lot else to do other than have blood drawn every 2 hours or so, connected to an IV for 3 days solid!)

Just finished reading 11.22.63 - I was quite disappointed. I'm not a Stephen King fan really, but I'd heard good things about this.

Quantity not quality.

I really enjoyed it, it's a long book but it didn't feel like it to me!

The last book I finished was 'Die Trying' by Lee Child, the second of the Jack Reacher books. Not great but a quite enjoyable read albeit incredibly predictable/corny.

Currently reading Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son).

Just finished Sir Alex's "My Autobiography". In all honestly it was shite but got through it out of respect.

Halfway through "On the Milk" by Willie Robertson so will finish that before "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" by Stephen King, looking forward to it immensely.

Not quite a book, but an addendum - The Secret of Hanging Rock, by Joan Lindsay.

It's the final chapter of Picnic at Hanging Rock, which was removed from the original novel. It reveals what happened to those who vanished, but was left out as a mystery ending would sell better.

It was published posthumously, at Lindsay's request.

Finished The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore last night.

Pretty funny book about a huge sea monster that makes depressed people horny.

Recommended for those that enjoy Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Brookmyre or Tom Sharpe.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Have gone through Iain Rankin's "Saints of the Shadow Bible" and Jo Nesbo's "Police" in the last week or so. Both were OK reads, but you get the impression that both are struggling to get rid of their main characters in a way that fits them.

Started on "Life of Pi" this morning.

The last book I read was 'The Tartan Special One' but I finished it a while ago, I'm struggling through 'Carspotting' on my kindle, its a Irvine Welsh wankfest by one of his mates, I'm 63% through so I'll persevere but I'm not digging it. To be honest I don't read nearly as much as I used too which is a shame but I do watch a lot more TV/films. I've been an avid reader from about the age of 5 until 35 then I got distracted by films etc when on trains or working away. I've been detirmined for about the last 3 years to read more which I've probably done but gone are the days when I'll sit and read a book and do nothing else.

I've only read the first one, Consider Phlebas. Thought it was pretty good, just haven't got round to buying the second one yet.

Finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline yesterday. Enjoyable stuff, and I'm sure there'll be folk on here that'll be able to take more away from all the 80's references to music, games and films than I did. Some embarrassing dialogue aside, this was worth a go. The plot's straight forward: multi-billionaire dies leaving his entire fortune to whoever can complete the quest he has laid down within this World of Warcraft style game he created.

Anyone read Iain M Banks Culture novels?

Thinking about making a start on those as I loved Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos which is also considered Space Opera, whatever thats supposed to be.

Sci-fi action is what Id call it.

Great books, got me into sci fi. Very funny.

Finished Consider Phlebas this morning and it has left me very conflicted.

On the one hand I really enjoyed the majority of the book and I had a few sessions where I couldn't put the book down, on the other hand the ending is absolutely honking.

3 out of 5 as 95% of the book is great but the ending 'reeks a pish'.

Finished The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore last night.

Pretty funny book about a huge sea monster that makes depressed people horny.

Recommended for those that enjoy Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Brookmyre or Tom Sharpe.

I bought this for Kindle after having read your recommend and enjoying the first couple of chapters free (as you get with all Kindle books). But gave up about half way through.

I might try a sample of his other stuff though.

Just finished Haruki Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun.

I just adore Murakami's stuff, and this, although far more straight-laced than his usual blend of surrealism and banality. This is a deeply romantic story of a man who drifts apart from his childhood sweetheart, becomes a bar manager with the help of Yakuza money, and falls out of love with his wife, at the same time as the childhood sweetheart comes, melancholically, back into his life. It's only 150 pages, as opposed to the 1000 that was 1Q84, and the protagonist, unusually for Murakami, is a jerk, but I really liked it. I prefer his surreal stuff, but this was a lovely little novella. 7/10

Now moving on to Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, which I found in a discount bookstore in Riyadh.