Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just read The Unburied Dead by Douglas Lindsay. It's a novel about a detective in Glasgow, on the hunt for what they think is a serial killer.

Not bad, not extremely well written though in my opinion. If it had been set anywhere else I'd probably have chucked it halfway through, but the mention of streets and places where I lived for 20 years kept my interest. As well as some genuine laugh out loud moments as he uses Scottish banter sporadically.

I was imagining some American potentially reading it trying to understand what "napper" and "heed the baw" meant.

Got it free on the Kindle store so can't begrudge that.

I think he's going to write a series of books using the same character, so I'll look out for the next one.

I will now give the above book posted by mighty meadow a go. I like books set in places I know/can relate to. No real reason, it just interests me.

Have you read anything by Gordon Ferris? His 'Douglas Brodie' series, The Hanging Shed, Bitter Water and Pilgrim Soul* is set in post-war Glasgow/Kilmarnock and are highly recommended.

*I've only read the first 2, the last one was released very recently.

currently reading Job by Robert Heinlein, it's about a bloke who's being tormented by the gods, it's hilariously misogynistic considering it was written in the 80s, it's almost as if he's never actually met a woman in his life, quite enjoying it, double x hardcore recco.

Tell me more ...

I really don't know much about Millar but as always with these type of books I was wondering how much to believe.

Just finished reading Cold Grave by Craig Robertson

cold-grave-craig-robertson.jpg

Glasgow copper opens up an investigation into a 'cold case' murder that happened in the 90's. First book I've read by this author but was gripped from start to finish and finished it in no time. Very good indeed :)

8/10

This was excellent, nice recommendation! Now on the next one, by the same author, Random.

Just finished a dance with dragons part 2. Most recent 'song of ice and fire' installment. Rattled through those books quicker than anything else I've ever read. Unbelievably good. Could read them for hours without looking up from the page

A feast for crows dragged on a bit and there wasn't quite as many shocks as I was led to believe there would be but can't wait for the next one, however long he waits this time

Finished Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy a wee while ago. Completely hooked all the way through. It is one of those books you get through in a couple of sittings.

I think his books are up there with the best. The one book of his that I can't get out of my head is Blood Meridian. Tough read, but I would recommend it if you have read other McCarthy books and enjoyed them.

Now reading World War Z. I know the book is completely different to the movie, but really intrigued by the premise and the political ideas he tries to put in.

I'm working my way through Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May series. They're London-based detectives now in their 70s/80s. A touch of the supernatural (mebbees) and characters that seem like they've always been part of your consciousness.

Start with Full Dark House and luxuriate in the fact that there are 10 instalments so far and 2 more coming next year. A fantastic wallow.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Lee Child one, Never Go Back, has a completely different tone. Well... not a total 180, but there's a lot more humour, both in the dialogue and outside it. There's also a bit more feeling to the characters. Even Reacher. It's all done in touches, but it's making it a very fun read.

Just finished World War Z.

Really enjoyed this, it is a smart book which brings in some interesting political ideas to the genre. If you like horror / fantasy and enjoyed World War Z movie then I would really recommend this book.

This isn't a spoiler because it's on the blurb at the back, but a good example of the political dimension is when the 'outbreak' begins in China but the Chinese government try to cover it up instead of addressing the problem. The author is quite clever in thinking how different countries would react / fail to react. The section on North Korea is absolutely chilling. The book is split into different sections accounting for the outbreak and then the war and the recovery told from different characters' perspectives.

I can see why Brad Pitt's production company bought the rights to this book as it seems every other section could be a zombie movie in its own right. It would good to see a follow-up to the movie sticking closer to the novel.

I haven't decided which book next. I have a habit of -re-reading old books. I quite fancy going back to Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy.

The new Lee Child one, Never Go Back, has a completely different tone. Well... not a total 180, but there's a lot more humour, both in the dialogue and outside it. There's also a bit more feeling to the characters. Even Reacher. It's all done in touches, but it's making it a very fun read.

reading it now. I kniw what you mean a good story so far