Last Book You Read....

H_B

Currently 30% through 1984 and thinking of giving up. Anyone recommend I keep going?

Yes - you'll feel fulfilled at the end. A book more to be admired than enjoyed. Follow it up with Animal Farm for an equally genius piece of literature, but with more entertainment.

Just started Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire). 17% in and quite enjoying it. A bit different to the tv show (as expected) and well written.

I'm a quarter of the way through La Roja by Jimmy Burns. It's a history of the Spanish national team, and it's fascinating.

If you like football books that are pretty in-depth about their subject matter read this, and another two by the author - Barca: A People's Passion and Hand of God: The life of Diego Maradona.

is this a kindle thing?

Aye, sorry - only just got one for my Xmas and trying to be cool.laugh.gif

Truth be told, I need the huge font as its cheaper than getting a pair of reading glasses.

I would guess so. I have a kindle ( one of the best things Ive ever bought BTW ) and it tells you how far youre through the book.

Have to admit, its one of the best things I ever got at Xmas. I commute on the train and spend 10 hours a week on them so its brilliant.

I'm a quarter of the way through La Roja by Jimmy Burns. It's a history of the Spanish national team, and it's fascinating.

If you like football books that are pretty in-depth about their subject matter read this, and another two by the author - Barca: A People's Passion and Hand of God: The life of Diego Maradona.

I keep trying to start La Roja and it just isn't grabbing me. I've read another four or five books in between trying to get into it.

One of those I read was, 'Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World has never seen'. Which utterly brilliant.

Currently reading 'the great American novel' The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, however I'm 11% in and I have no desire to read on as I am not engaged at all, is it worthwhile to persevere?

I'm a Twain fan, cH, so I'd say yes. But I think I enjoyed it from the start.

Does anyone else have a specific subject matter they tend to read about?

For me it's Soviet Russia ph34r.gif

Medieval history mainly. I am fascinated with the middle ages and the people of that period's views on medicine in particular.

I am a cracking night out, honest.

I keep trying to start La Roja and it just isn't grabbing me. I've read another four or five books in between trying to get into it.

Yeah, I get that quite often where I have to leave a book and come back to it. I've been reading Michael Palin's Diaries (The Python years) for about 18 months - mainly because it's incredibly tedious. I like Palin a lot, both for Python and his travel books and programmes, but the diary is like wading through treacle: "Got up, had a splendid breakfast of eggs, read papers." That sort of thing. :(

Another that I'm struggling to get through is The Lewis Man by Peter May. It's a murder story set in Orkney and it's as bleak and difficult to read as the setting. Yet another I only bought because it was 20p.

I was going to get that Lewis Man book as well, just because of the price. Glad I didn't now.

When I registered my Kindle, I got a month of Amazon Prime free, with access to the Kindle Lending Library. I thought I'd try Blood Tears by Michael J Malone. Crime, set in Glasgow, expected it to be full of that witty weegie patter with a clever storyline.

What's good about it is there's a nice twist I hadn't seen coming and it doesn't finish in a nicely wrapped bundle where they all live happily ever after. What's bad? None of the weegie banter I expected, the story is the classic 'Catholic nonce gets what's coming', not exactly original and the DI investigating makes some frankly ridiculous choices that only serve to further f**k things up. I'm just glad I never paid for it. Usual price is £1.99, so if you can afford to throw that away and have nothing else to read, go ahead. If you want something clever and original, keep your money and find something else.

I was going to get that Lewis Man book as well, just because of the price. Glad I didn't now.

When I registered my Kindle, I got a month of Amazon Prime free, with access to the Kindle Lending Library. I thought I'd try Blood Tears by Michael J Malone. Crime, set in Glasgow, expected it to be full of that witty weegie patter with a clever storyline.

What's good about it is there's a nice twist I hadn't seen coming and it doesn't finish in a nicely wrapped bundle where they all live happily ever after. What's bad? None of the weegie banter I expected, the story is the classic 'Catholic nonce gets what's coming', not exactly original and the DI investigating makes some frankly ridiculous choices that only serve to further f**k things up. I'm just glad I never paid for it. Usual price is £1.99, so if you can afford to throw that away and have nothing else to read, go ahead. If you want something clever and original, keep your money and find something else.

Although it's still in my queue, I got that free last summer. Most lesser known authors will offer their books in kindle format for free at some stage, you've just got to find them/get lucky at the time. I have 15 Ken McClure novels, all free at various times and I haven't even read one yet.

Edit: meant to add there's a free Simon Kernick short story that he was commissioned to write for BMW's magazine a few years ago called 'The Debt'. It's typical Kernick and enjoyable, but it's only about 20 pages or so. His new novel is due soon though. :D

Edited by Monster

The Lewis Man is part of a trilogy.

You should really read The Blackhouse first, for it to make more sense. I've read both. I liked The Blackhouse, but found The Lewis Man harder work, and pretty dull.