Last Book You Read....

H_B

"On Monday he ate one apple"

Got that one too :lol: Good, but not Gruffalo-good ;)

Gruffalo wasn't around when I was little but I discovered it when on teaching placement :D

Also Lavina Bat was one of my favorites. But then so was Katie Morag!

Only 4 pages? You were skipping some, werent you? :P

If you liked that, I'd also recommend "Thats not my kitten", "Thats not my car" and "Thats not my mermaid" ;)

Although none are as good as "The Gruffalo" - not so much read anymore as recited :lol::D

some pages have gone missing though.

I also have thats not my tractor(a favourite with Saintees fans) thats not my Monster and some other pish thats not my car is another one

I bet Brookmyre wishes he could get away with six pages of one liners and a picture.

some pages have gone missing though.

I also have thats not my tractor(a favourite with Saintees fans) thats not my Monster and some other pish thats not my car is another one

I bet Brookmyre wishes he could get away with six pages of one liners and a picture.

:o

What do you do to them? They're hard pages! :huh:

La Prisonniere - 20 years in a desert gaol by Malika Oufkir and Michelle Fitoussi

Autobiography of Malika's time spent as a prisoner in a desert gaol for the crime of being the daughter of General Oufkir who was executed after an attempted assassination on the Moroccan King. Malika and her mother, 5 brothers and sisters, one who was only 3 years old spent the next 20 years in an isolated desert gaol under barbaric, inhumane conditions. Great read

9/10

Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West

8/10

Really enjoyed it, takes an alternative view of Oz and gives it a very adult twist with sex, religion, politics to the forefront as it tells the tale of who the Wicked Witch of the West came to be.

High Society - Ben Elton

Not brilliant, although it does raise a few thought-provoking questions about the legalisation of drugs in the uk.

Of course my view of the book might be slighty coloured by my dislike of the author, but I felt his characters were unrealistic, the dialogue was dubious and guilty of trying too hard, and the plot was contrived and 'clunky'.

• 1 month later...

Journey to hell - Donald Macneil 8/10

True story about macneil's time spent in a venezuelan prison where he spent 6 years for cocaine smuggling, doesn't seem as bad as other prisoner books I've read (the thai and indonesian prisons seem a lot worse) but still pretty harsh conditions.

Im currently reading " '78 - How A Nation Lost The World Cup" by Graham McColl...fantastic stuff...the attention to detail in which the events leading up to, during, and after the Argentine adventure are written is excellent, with the views of players, coaches, even Ally McLeod's wife give an insight into the hype, euphoria and dissapointment of Scotland's South American trek...I wish I'd been able to meet Ally McLeod... :(

Finally finished the above mentioned book...excellent stuff...9/10

a couple of chapters into the new Inspector Rebus book "The Naming of the Dead" by Ian Rankin...review to follow... :)

HAven't posted here for a while, but I've worked my way through the entire Lee Child collection in paperback, and am currently halfway through his latest offering in hard back.

The last one, before the current one (obviously) was The Persuader, and I thought it was one of his best. His best though, in my opinion, is The Visitor.

A superb author. Thankfully he's got another two completed, one due out next April, and the next a year later. He's targeting one book a year until he kills Reacher off.

THe movie rights have also been bought. :D

a couple of chapters into the new Inspector Rebus book "The Naming of the Dead" by Ian Rankin...review to follow... :)

I, shamefully, only got into Rebus in April and am working my way through the books. I'm up to Black & Blue. This is where Rankin comes of age IMO- looking forward to the second half of the series.

God_061103114531654_wideweb__300x460.jpg

9.9 out of 10.

Absolutely brilliant book.

Anyone remotely interested in the Religion/Science debate or anyone who's pissed off with Religion being used as a talismin to be shitty to each other should read this book.

Religious types will hate it, Athiests or agnostics will love it.

A work of art.

God_061103114531654_wideweb__300x460.jpg

9.9 out of 10.

Absolutely brilliant book.

Anyone remotely interested in the Religion/Science debate or anyone who's pissed off with Religion being used as a talismin to be shitty to each other should read this book.

Religious types will hate it, Athiests or agnostics will love it.

A work of art.

Hmm, never heard of it before. Certainly interesting in this day and age. Who wrote it?

Currently working my way through Winston Churchill's 2nd World War diaries. Heavy going, and a lot of it is probably only of interest to tacticians and economists, but the man was truly fascinating.

Probably better than a biography, since you have to get the picture of a man not writing self consciously about what he was, more what happened and how he influenced it.

A couple of classic quotes:

"I was criticised for the diplomatic nature of my declaration of war [on the Japanese Empire]. ...It costs nothing be be plite when you are going to kill a man..."

"[Vichy France] ...[britain] would have her neck wrung like a chicken within three weeks. Some chicken. Some neck."

:D

HAven't posted here for a while, but I've worked my way through the entire Lee Child collection in paperback, and am currently halfway through his latest offering in hard back.

The last one, before the current one (obviously) was The Persuader, and I thought it was one of his best. His best though, in my opinion, is The Visitor.

A superb author. Thankfully he's got another two completed, one due out next April, and the next a year later. He's targeting one book a year until he kills Reacher off.

THe movie rights have also been bought. :D

FFS! He can't do that! :o