Last Book You Read....

H_B

If you haven't already, read Stephen Ambrose's D-Day book, also a good read. I'll need to get Beevor's Stalingrad and Berlin books ordered up at the library.

Have to compliment Glasgow libraries, they have an iPhone app and I used it yesterday morning to order two books, which are now in my local library to be picked up. GCC rightly get pelters for many things, but in my experience the libraries are superb.

Made the mistake of starting Haruki Muraki's Underground. It's straight reportage instead of his usual, wonderful flights of fancy, about the attack on the Tokyo metro. A mistake because I can't put it down and also it's incredibly moving.

Currently reading Keith Richards' autobiography, Life, which is top notch - just tale after tale of life lived to excess for 50+ years. He makes no bones about the fact that his lifestyle should have killed him a long time ago, and he doesn't attempt to make it sound glamorous. But at the same time, he does show that he, personally, couldn't have lived any other way.

Currently reading Keith Richards' autobiography, Life, which is top notch - just tale after tale of life lived to excess for 50+ years. He makes no bones about the fact that his lifestyle should have killed him a long time ago, and he doesn't attempt to make it sound glamorous. But at the same time, he does show that he, personally, couldn't have lived any other way.

I thought it was as boring as fuck. I'm a big fan and I preferred imagining what might have been. It felt like sitting in the pub with an old drunk telling the same story a hundred times.

Lemmys biography on the other hand. Is a real rock life story. A complete fucking head case speeding out his nut for the best part of 50 years.

Made the mistake of starting Haruki Muraki's Underground. It's straight reportage instead of his usual, wonderful flights of fancy, about the attack on the Tokyo metro. A mistake because I can't put it down and also it's incredibly moving.

Finished it. Wonderful book. Unbelievably moving and fascinating insights into the Aum sect. Murakami is by a long way my favourite contemporary writer. I'd go so far as to call him a genius.

Next, another favourite, Fear and Loathing at the Rolling Stone - the most recent compendium of Hunter S Thompson.

Lemmys biography on the other hand. Is a real rock life story. A complete fucking head case speeding out his nut for the best part of 50 years.

I've read that one.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, musicwise, but George Jones the country singer's book is one of the best autobiogs I've read. His coke dealers used to hold him down and force coke up his hooter if he tried to quit. They also beheaded a guy who tried to keep them away from Jones.

Got a Brett Easton Ellis treble ahead of me. Currently reading American Psycho, fantastic, hilarious, slightly different to, albeit just as good as the film.

I also bought Lunar Park after a friend recommended it, apparently it's a bio-novel based on the author's drug addled adventures laugh.gif It's clear to see why I was intrigued.

Lastly I've got Less Than Zero ordered, not heard much about it, hate doing research on books incase it ruins them, but it's one of his more critically acclaimed works so it should be a decent read

Finished it. Wonderful book. Unbelievably moving and fascinating insights into the Aum sect. Murakami is by a long way my favourite contemporary writer. I'd go so far as to call him a genius.

Next, another favourite, Fear and Loathing at the Rolling Stone - the most recent compendium of Hunter S Thompson.

Completely agree. In comparison terms I think it's up there with Oe's Hiroshima Notes as a great work of non-fiction by a fiction author.

Edited by killieshire

If you haven't already, read Stephen Ambrose's D-Day book, also a good read. I'll need to get Beevor's Stalingrad and Berlin books ordered up at the library.

Ambrose has a very narrow and blinkered view on some things, and a s ahistorical biographer, suffers from a need to attack those figures whom he imaignes slighted his subject. That's why, for example, Eisenhower get's an easy ride, Patton eulogised and Montgomery gets written off in all his work. Mind you, that's fairly typical of most US historians on that epriod and it's nonsense for the most part.

For D-day related stuff, I'd recommend Carlo D'este's decision in Normandy or Max hastings Overlord.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read chavs: the demonization of the working class by owen jones.

Very good. Great points throughout and interesting facts. Would reccommend this one thouroughly.

now onto crime and punishment. Awsome.

Has anyone read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis? Thinking about starting that next.

Get it read, it's hilarious at times, brutal at others, very similar to the film without seeming like you're reading the script, it really is excellent.

Ambrose has a very narrow and blinkered view on some things, and a s ahistorical biographer, suffers from a need to attack those figures whom he imaignes slighted his subject. That's why, for example, Eisenhower get's an easy ride, Patton eulogised and Montgomery gets written off in all his work. Mind you, that's fairly typical of most US historians on that epriod and it's nonsense for the most part.

For D-day related stuff, I'd recommend Carlo D'este's decision in Normandy or Max hastings Overlord.

I've read the Max Hastings book and agree that it is very good.