Last Book You Read....

H_B

I've just finished readin this

0778301281.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64076161_.jpg

Brilliant book about a woman who on the surface has it all and is happy but has a breakdown and ends up in a mental hospital. It documents her journey through her reluctance to accept her illness, coming to terms with it and then her venturing out into the real world.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't at all as depressing as it may sound but in fact uplifting.

:)

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

I eventually got round to reading John Peel's biography and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. I obviously knew that he was a very influential man but never realised just how idiolised he was. A superb book which gets a tad emotional at times :bairn

i'm currently reading A feast for crows - George RR Martin

This is the 4th book in the series, A song of ice and fire

Basic plot of A song of ice and fire - 5 families battle for the iron throne, set in a medieval enviroment with knights, castles, battles and dragons.

This series would appeal to anyone who likes fantasy novels i.e lord of the rings & emperor series.

10/10 so far...........

Apparently Mr Martin plans 12 books in this series, bring it on B)

Guest Hampden Ton

Recently finished 'Green River, Running Red' by Ann Rule.

Its a true crime novel about the Green River Killings, the bulk of which were commited in the 80's. The story of the Green River Killer is approached in 3 ways: The police investigation, histories of selected victims, and various stages in the killers life.

It gives a good insight into how frustrating the hunt for the killer was and how much pressure the police were under to stop him. The 'killers life' chapters give some inclination as to why the killer did what he did, but I felt the book was let down by the histories of the victims. I'm not saying these people don't deserve to known about, but the constant stopping and starting hurts the pace of the book.

Worth a read for all true crime fans out there, but I'd recommend Rule's other novel, 'The Stranger Beside Me' (about Ted Bundy) instead.

Got around to reading "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hardback Pencil" by Christopher Brookmyre. At the risk of him reading this and getting a big head, it was excellent stuff, among his best. Revisited previous themes of schoolfriends being reunited, but also expanded on the flashback side of that, with much of the book following the characters through their school life, with that ultimately interlinking with the murder plot they all find themselves caught up in.

Being from the same culture and background (although about a decade younger :P ) the characters and events resonated with me, and I'd imagine would with most P&B'rs, especially if you had a catholic schooling. The farting in assembly part had me doubled up with laughter, and most of the other school observations were fantastically accurate. Good to see the playground football theme being expanded as well.

I'd give it 9/10 :D

Edited by Colin M

• 4 weeks later...

Cocky - The rise and fall of Curtis Warren, Britian's biggest drug baron

Account of the life the cocky watchman from his teens as a common thief through to his late 20s, early 30s when he controlled 80% of all heroin, cocaine and cannabis that was smuggled into Britain

9/10

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

"Robert Langdon, Harvard Professor of symbology, receives an urgent late-night call while in Paris: the curator of the Louvre has been murdered. Alongside the body is a series of baffling ciphers. Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Da Vinci - and further. The curator, part of a secret society named the Priory of Sion, may have sacrificed his life to keep secret the location of a vastly important religious relic hidden for centuries. It appears that the clandestine Vatican-sanctioned Catholic sect Opus Dei has now made its move. Unless Landon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine code and quickly assemble the pieces of the puzzle, the Priory's secret - and a stunning historical truth - will be lost forever."

Excellent 9/10

The Long Way Round - Charley Boorman & Ewan McGregor

"It started as a daydream. Poring over a map of the world at home one quiet Saturday afternoon, Ewan McGregor - actor and self-confessed bike nut - noticed that it was possible to ride all the way round the world, with just one short hop across the Bering Strait from Russia to Alaska. So he picked up the phone and called Charley Boorman, his best friend, fellow actor and bike enthusiast. 'Charley,' he said. 'I think you ought to come over for dinner.' Riding 20,000 miles across increasingly tough terrain, Ewan and Charley chased their shadows through Europe, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Russia, across the Pacific to Alaska, then down through Canada and America. As they travelled they documented their trip, taking photographs, and writing diaries by the campfire. Long Way Round is the result of their adventures - a fascinating, frank and highly entertaining travel book about two friends riding round the world together and, against all the odds, realising their dream."

Good 7/10

Im currently reading " '78 - How A Nation Lost The World Cup" by Graham McColl...fantastic stuff...the attention to detail in which the events leading up to, during, and after the Argentine adventure are written is excellent, with the views of players, coaches, even Ally McLeod's wife give an insight into the hype, euphoria and dissapointment of Scotland's South American trek...I wish I'd been able to meet Ally McLeod... :(

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

"Robert Langdon, Harvard Professor of symbology, receives an urgent late-night call while in Paris: the curator of the Louvre has been murdered. Alongside the body is a series of baffling ciphers. Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Da Vinci - and further. The curator, part of a secret society named the Priory of Sion, may have sacrificed his life to keep secret the location of a vastly important religious relic hidden for centuries. It appears that the clandestine Vatican-sanctioned Catholic sect Opus Dei has now made its move. Unless Landon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine code and quickly assemble the pieces of the puzzle, the Priory's secret - and a stunning historical truth - will be lost forever."

Excellent 9/10

A stunning historical truth? Really, I thought it was a tedious piece of paranoid bollocks. That bloke next to Jesus looks like a lady. Oh yeah. The end. Possibly the worst written book I have ever read. minus 11 out of 10. :P

Currently reading City of God. Long tedious passages of badly translated dialogue interspersed with grotesque acts of immaginable cruelty. i'm rather enjoying it!

Just finished One Day In September, a book about the 72 Olympics crisis, and more interestingly the Israeli Government's clandestine assassinations of Arab figureheads as retribution.

Derailed by James Siegel..

It's now a 'Major Hollywood Motion Picture', but I haven't seen it. The book itself certainly hits all the buttons that a thriller should if you can subdue your incredulity while reading it. Every chapter ends on a cliffhanger and it's a taut, well structured read with no pointless fat. Well worth a read if you're wanting nothing too deep.

Talking of books, can anyone remember the books about the 2 family's from Northern Ireland one catholic and the other protestant, where the boy from one family wanted to go out with the girl from the other family but everyone was against it.

I think one of them was called across the barricades, i'm sure there was 3 books, one of the other ones might have been called the 12th day of July :unsure:

Remember i'm going back about 28 year here.

I read Elizabeth Kostova's The Historia, a horror/thriller/historical novel about Dracula. Very good read, a real page-turner.

I am currently reading David Peace The Damned United, a fictional account of Brian Clough's 44 days in charge of Leeds Utd, told from the point of view of Cloughie. It's pretty good.

Just read "thats not my teddy!" four pages of gripping prose with an unimaginable twist at the end.

And its got some nice pictures as well.

Only 4 pages? You were skipping some, werent you? :P

If you liked that, I'd also recommend "Thats not my kitten", "Thats not my car" and "Thats not my mermaid" ;)

Although none are as good as "The Gruffalo" - not so much read anymore as recited :lol::D

Talking of books, can anyone remember the books about the 2 family's from Northern Ireland one catholic and the other protestant, where the boy from one family wanted to go out with the girl from the other family but everyone was against it.

I think one of them was called across the barricades, i'm sure there was 3 books, one of the other ones might have been called the 12th day of July :unsure:

Remember i'm going back about 28 year here.

Joan Lingard's your author there.

Only 4 pages? You were skipping some, werent you? :P

If you liked that, I'd also recommend "Thats not my kitten", "Thats not my car" and "Thats not my mermaid" ;)

Although none are as good as "The Gruffalo" - not so much read anymore as recited :lol::D

May I also recomend the 'Very Hungry Caterpiller'. Excelent book. :)